Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: How do I get a simple MAME setup via bootable USB stick

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    State
    Brisbane (Northside)
    Posts
    1,375
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

    How do I get a simple MAME setup via bootable USB stick

    I would like to setup a bootable USB stick (or ideally CF or SD with CF adaptor) with MAME and ROMs and just wondering what the best and easiest way to do it would be.

    I'm only wanting to run early 80's stuff and I don't have a grunty PC so want to keep it small and fast. It will be driving one of my NOS SVGA monitors in 640x480 or maybe 800x600

    I use to run dos mame and arcadeos on a 90's toshiba laptop but it has recently finally died.

    Any pointers most appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    State
    WA
    Posts
    1,121
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    278 Post(s)
    Have a look at GroovyArcade .. it runs a Live Linux setup... I'm sure it supports 31khz monitors but it is designed for 15khz though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    State
    SA
    Posts
    2,986
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    856 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I would like to setup a bootable USB stick (or ideally CF or SD with CF adaptor) with MAME and ROMs and just wondering what the best and easiest way to do it would be.

    I'm only wanting to run early 80's stuff and I don't have a grunty PC so want to keep it small and fast. It will be driving one of my NOS SVGA monitors in 640x480 or maybe 800x600

    I use to run dos mame and arcadeos on a 90's toshiba laptop but it has recently finally died.

    Any pointers most appreciated.
    Will CD be ok?
    You still need a mouse though

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    State
    Brisbane (Northside)
    Posts
    1,375
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by lordsnipe View Post
    Have a look at GroovyArcade .. it runs a Live Linux setup... I'm sure it supports 31khz monitors but it is designed for 15khz though.
    The last time I looked it only seemed to support the native res of the games, but I'll look again.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Will CD be ok?
    You still need a mouse though
    CD is complicated with the industrial style PC I have. It has a CF slot and some USB ports. Don't want to use a mouse, just arcade controls.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    State
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,478
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1507 Post(s)
    Use groovyarcade. Mount the ISO and run using daemon tools and have it start automatically when you power the PC on.

    brad

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    State
    SA
    Posts
    2,986
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    856 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    CD is complicated with the industrial style PC I have. It has a CF slot and some USB ports. Don't want to use a mouse, just arcade controls.
    You could copy it to USB, it runs MAME32

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    State
    Cairns
    Posts
    13,847
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    You could copy it to USB, it runs MAME32
    You should listen to BOOTS.....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    State
    SA
    Posts
    2,986
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    856 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homepin View Post
    You should listen to BOOTS.....
    ???

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    State
    Brisbane (Northside)
    Posts
    1,375
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

    I think I've been switched over to Abbotts NBN already because my download of the 550MB groovyarcade live cd is predicted to take 1.5days!

    Does anyone have a faster way to download this

    http://www.aburamushi.net/calamity/G...02.24-i686.iso

    From this page

    http://code.google.com/p/groovyarcade/

    UPDATE:

    Never mind, found a MUCH faster download here;

    http://emulationrealm.net/modules/wf...d=749&lid=2382

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    State
    Brisbane (Northside)
    Posts
    1,375
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

    OK, so that new link I found died around 160MB and now I can't access it any more. Any mirrors out there?


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •