Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Stern Flipper Problem

• Super Moderator

Just read a deleted thread on an OP havng a problem with a blown mosfet that drives the flipper coil on Sam system Sterns,

if this happens on your machine dont replace the mosfet with the factory fitted 22NE10L fit an IRL540 in its place,these mosfets are a bit more robust and in future the fuse will blow instead of the mosfet.

Dont be inclined to fit the higher spec 40NE10L used to drive other 50v coils on the machine as the turn on voltage is to high and will interfere with the flipper hold system on Sam Sterns.

@Scotty PlayerOne

Edited by GIBO

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator
got a failed fipper on mine last night, just normal playing too

It happened to me 3 weeks in on owning my Back in Black,replaced both flipper coil mosfets with IRL540 and havnt missed a beat since

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
Will the IRF540N (http://www.jaycar.com.au/Active-Components/Discrete/FETs/IRF540N-Mosfet-Transistor/p/ZT2466) work as a suitable replacement. My left flipper on my xmen will get knocked down with a hard ball return and will also sometimes flip by itself when being held. EOS is ok.

No - it MUST have the letter "L" in the part number as this denotes "line level drive". This means the part can be driven to full saturation from a 5V logic source. The part number you give requires 12V and sometimes more (depending on the brand of part) to saturate the device (turn it FULLY on).

Thanks mate. Yes I just found the answer in another thread. Will this do the trick?

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/5220-15710-00.html

On Marocspecs it says its the correct part number and replacement for IRL540N

"MOSFET transistor, N channel IRL540N, TO-220 package

100 volt 26 amp , Replaces 20N10L , 20NE10L , STP20NE10L , STP20N10L, 22NE10L

Data East / Sega / Stern #110-0106-00, #5220-15710-00, #110-0088-00

Gottlieb #XO-947

This replaces the following part numbers

20N10L, STP20N10L, P20N10L, P20N10, 12N10L, 22NE10L IRF540, STP22NE10L, P22NE10L, 19N06L, NTE2987, NTE2396"