Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New washing machine time - anyone a member of choice?

Lonng story short, after many years and over 20 faults (requiring replacement parts) in my Fisher and Paykel iw712 washing machine, it finally, truly needs replacing.

I need to find a reliable, efficient top loader that doesnt cost a fortune to get spares when out of warranty, and needless to say I'll never touch another F&P.

I can see choice.com.au has just published a good comparison article but they require a 3 month subscribtion just to read it. Is anyone on AA a member?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

• Administrators

Welcome to the NEVER touching a F&P product ever again.

Story 1: We were burnt big time with the "new" smart drive machines. 3 repairs later (at the cost of a new machine) when it broke for a 4th time we threw that ****er away. Replaced it with an LG Top Loader and it's never stopped in the last 10 years.

Story 2: Same with the shitty F&P dish drawer dishwasher that was in the house already when we bought. I said to my wife oh oh just wait for this. I'd guessed correctly, 2 repairs in 2 years and a 3rd on the way. I pulled the plug on it, took it to the tip and sprinkled it with holy water. When to the shops, picked up and Omega for cheap, hooked it up myself and it's never stopped.

Story 3: Our trusty old Sharp fridge (15 years old) finally died. Well the seals went on it for a second time and we wanted to retire the old girl. After shopping around my wife against all my complaints (married guys can vouch for this) settled on a F&P matched Fridge Freezer set. It was the only brand that fit the spaces, had brushed steel and matched =( Not even 12 months old and that piece of shit is leaking water. :realmad:

**** Fisher and Paykel with a pineapple if I'll touch their shit again.

Brad

We have a Bosch matching set washer & dryer...Never one problem in 15 years use & still running like new. Warning don't buy a Samsung brand at the moment, on the news last week a spat of house fires all caused by there brand of washing machines.

Simple rule of thumb. Avoid white goods made by companies that make smart phone, tv's etc.

You would laugh if your mate bragged about his new Kelvinator Tablet :)

It would most likely be more reliable compared to an Iphone / Ipad.

Those dish draw things are terribad, we had them and the second time I called someone out to fix it was when I chucked them in the bin. My olds had dish draws and did the same thing.

Had a F&P washing machine for 5 years now and still going strong.

- - - Updated - - -

It would most likely be more reliable compared to an Iphone / Ipad.

Form over function or reliability, it should be the Apple catch cry.

• Administrators

Given a choice again I'd go a front loader. Frees up space above the unit for shelving or a bench and washes using less water and power.

Brad

Given a choice again I'd go a front loader. Frees up space above the unit for shelving or a bench and washes using less water and power.

Brad

Agreed, our Bosch pair are both front loaders & we are on rain water tanks. Very efferent machines.

In a past life I was a warranty service agent for most major brand appliances (including commercial grade stuff).

Personally I would not go anywhere near Simpson, Whirlpool, Hoover, Samsung or pretty much any machine that relies on a shitty little gear box with shitty little plastic gears in it. The F&P washing machine was a great design let down by bad electronics. The biggest plus to a F&P was the fact there was no moving parts apart from the bearings on the main shaft. They got rid of a gearbox and utilised the direct drive system to do all the work. I would of always recommended an F&P to anyone.. Until now. I purchased the new "intelligent" model one about 5 years ago (This is the model that has the little display instead of the buttons and lights). What I didn't realise at the time was this model is not made in Aus or NZ, it is made in Malaysia or something. Absolute piece of crap. Had issue's right from the outset. One thing I could not believe was the fact that there was no manual water level adjustment at all.

We had nothing but trouble with pc board's and had a lot of lint on clothing also (I believe due to the fact of not enough water in the bowl). Couldn't wait to get rid of it. They do still make the standard model locally I believe.

After all these issue's I had to get another machine after moving house, thought about gong back to the standard F&P but ended up getting an LG. It has the same drive technology as F&P (there is a lawsuit going on between the companies regarding LG breaching patent laws) with no gear box but the electronics seems a lot more robust, plus there is a lint filter in the LG.

I would recommend the LG direct drive machine to anyone, the one we have has the pulsator in the bottom instead of an agitator like most and works a treat.

After working in Harvey Norman for several years in white goods, i can say that every brand has its good and bad points. i can hand you 20 people with 20 different opinions all the brands are based on experience.

i would only sell someone a front loader over a top loader as someone has already said

Front loader

1. Space saving (you gain the top of the washer for storage or you buy the mate and sit you dyer on top of it)

2. Water saving ( a top loader uses about 1/3 the water that a top loader does with the price of everything going up including water rates this is something you should consider)

3. Better wash ( a front loader does not beat the hell out of your clothes like a top loader does, thus extending the life of your clothes. women's clothes will not be ripped to shreds)

4. Mutli washs ( most people still shy away from front loaders due to the time it takes to wash the clothes. all the new one have a 30-45 min wash cycle now so if you are in a hurry

I own a LG front loader direct drive 10 year warranty on the motor alone, 7 years on the rest its has not missed a beat yet.

If you have a family another suggestion especially a large one would be to buy a Maytag (made in US) the are built to a commercial grade very tough and long lasting . i could go on all night :) but i hope this helps

I got a fp its about 8 years old and hoots along Fine got it second hand

also have a westinghouse i have owned for 10 years and its a beast. it handles blankets no worries. my folks use it daily as the ex wife wanted a front loader which was fine till she got a ks bed and sheets wont fit in it lol

fp also make great wind turbines once dead and resell at 45 bucks for the motor and shaft on ebay. I spotted quite a few this hardwaste so must still have a issue.

they leak

I had to be convinced that a front loader was the way to go, but having bought one and evidenced its benefits I would never buy a top loader again.

We're on our second Bosch front loader (first one lasted 11 years and approx 4000 loads) and I can state categorically that neither of them have ever leaked anything.

I've got a whirlpool front loader nearly 10 years old going fine. Replaced cold water solenoid a year ago no problem snap in replacement

F&P auto sense dryer fine, just clean and grease the tensioner pulley sleeves every three years , no parts replaced in 10 years.

String of bad washers before that just bad luck, so many new models of all this stuff coming out all the time just impossible to go by a brand or recommendations, or some mag