Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

First Attempt at Arcade Cabinet Restoration

Hi all,

Currently came into possession of a Vewlix style (no branding so I'm guessing its a clone) arcade cabinet that has seen better days. I'm looking to restore this machine so it looks a lot better but this being my first project of this nature, not sure how to go about it. My current plan is to spruce it up and pop a PC inside, but have no idea what I'm going to do with the hardware that was inside which looks to be a Taito X2 Rev.00B with no hard games.

I have a couple of questions regarding its restoration.

1. I've found that a fair few people use automotive paint to paint their machines, does anyone recommend this and are there any personal tips or tricks they would recommend to a first timer ?

2. Any tips or tips fixing small holes. My machine came with an Intercard scanner which I'm looking to remove but it's going to leave some unsightly holes.

3. To make a the arcade cabinets controls compatible with PC you just use a JVS PCB and USB attachmnt or does that only apply to the Taito X2 system ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance and regards,

Stepo

IMG_0262.thumb.jpg.521040e62909e80ba8ebc2435eb6d539.jpg

IMG_0263.thumb.jpg.2a8f5efffdd42e78b32052fd430e122e.jpg

IMG_0264.thumb.jpg.26f0ce58bfe477896707662ca5e422f9.jpg

Gday mate,

Yeah, got it at the Slattery auction over at Hexham. I haven't had any issues with the monitor, it has worked pretty well the handful of times I've tried it with both the taito x2 and my own pc. If you've got a machine from Hexham as well, I'm certain they were all working and in good nick (both the unbranded/lindbergh) as I was talking to the storeman there for awhile about them.

Cheers for the info mate :)

Just a suggestion: Little squares/rectangles of sheet steel or Aluminium, cut them slightly bigger than the holes you wish to fill, glue on inside of holes using epoxy resin or similar. That will act as a backing plate and allow you to fill the holes. Use an automotive 2 part bog to fill and then sand flush. I'm in the process of restoring a similar cabinet, giving it a light sand, spraying with plastic primer, then a few coats of colour, sand with 1000 then 2000 grit wet and dry. A few coats of clear, repeat wet and dry sand. Then use a cut and polish, automotive with a car buffer... All paint is plastikote from Bunnings. That's the best technique I can find so far with a bit of research. I'm sure there are other ways.... Good luck mate! Make sure you post pics/results!! :-)

• 1 month later...

Update:

Cleaned up the machine, replaced all the locks, buttons and joysticks, fixed all the wiring and installed the jpac. Installed an old computer I had lying around which worked for all of 1 day before it died on me. Everything was working exactly as intended but needs replacing. Last thing to do is touch up the cabinet with paint and then it's all finished.

IMG_0399.thumb.jpg.ca0c8fe8891c801f87a3bb875d4bdb45.jpg

Edited by Stepo
Added Pic

• 1 month later...

Hi steps

Before I became a tower crane operator I was a spray painter (13 yrs) I am in the process of restoring a 80's cabinet, in will be using 2 Pak polyurethane primer and top coat. Although my cab is wood( well chipboard) you can still use the same just use plastic bumper primer instead , but just check what plastic your cab is as not all plastics can be painted

Andy