Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Williams flipper question

kaverne

Hi Guys,

following another thread I repaired some switchs on my WH2O and everything went really fine. It's actually working like a charm now and I can play after 1 month of no play .... it was hard :)

Wasn't too hard to repair, I was just lazy, I guess you know what I'm talking about.

But I noticed some weird behaviour, after some time of play (around 30min) the right flipper as well and the top right on the upper playfiled (so activated by the same button) get weak. If I insist a bit they even got stuck. So I opened the cabinet and found out that the coils were hotter than expected. If I let them cool down the pinball got back to normal, but same thing happened again after some play.

So I though about the EOS and changed it and checked that the new was well in place. Same thing happened again. I made some research on internet (hail google !!) and found it might come from the opto. So I switched the opto to check if now the problem will be on the left one. Haven't had time to check yet, will do this evening.

I can understand how it can come from the EOS, fairly basic analysis. But I admit that if it's coming from the opto I don't get why :blink:

While it must be something more global on the right side since otherwise it would only impact one of the flipper but not both the right and the upper playfield one right ?

Can someone enlight me on that or have any guess ?

try changing the flipper switch opto interrupter,or swap ,as you said ,the opto board left to right.

my guess is the interrupter is at fault as it controls both top and lower flippers.

i do remember back in the 90's,williams/bally flipper coils were mysteriously burning out,no apparent reason,seems there was a bad batch of flipper switch optos getting around.

If the opto is dodgy it may cause the flipper to power on and off rapidly ie: multiple times per second which may cause coils to heat up.

Also check the alignment of the coil, plunger, coil stop as if there is the slightest bit of resistance it could do the same thing

I coming back after having switched the left and right opto.

The problem keep happening but it take probably 1 hour of play to see it happening. The right flipper does not go back to normal after flipping. It it slowed from friction from the sleeve/coil. Once cooled it goes back to normal.

This behavior doesn't seem to happen on the left one, but tbo right one is more used on WH2O and you have to keep it up for when the ball comes out of the mine.

So I'll change the opto whatsoever and see if the problem persist. My WH2O being still with the original optos it can't harm and perhaps they are both screwed.

Despite that, do you guy can think of any other component that might be involved in that problem ?

, but tbo right one is more used on WH2O and you have to keep it up for when the ball comes out of the mine.

I do the same on mine, but have never had that kind of problem , try cleaning the opto with a dry cottonbud, put into switch test & see what's going on with the switch (if it were on u think the flipper would be stuck in the upward possition)

test if there is power at the coil when there is not suposed to be, (again one would think the flipper would be stuck in the upward possition)does the flipper feel free ?(look at both sides to tell the difference)

may bee change the sleve if there's been heat they will need replacing. are u holding the right flipper constantly for an hour? that it self could be the problem ??

Edited by furballx
Quote fixed

Switched the optos => same issue, flipper slowly getting weaker after 1 hour normal play (not up all the time, just normal play)

Cleaned the opto with cotton bud => same issue

Replaced the plastic sleeve and checked the flipper assembly => same issue

I can see it coming since it's harder to do the big ramp from the upper playfield. So it mean both the flipper from the right side are impacted. Seems the left side is not (or at least less) impacted.

Will check the fuses for the right side. That's my last simple idea, after that I can only think about the flipper MB .... ????

• Administrators

http://www.pinrepair.com/begin/index.htm

Transistor and chip testing under section 3d.

Test em all, it is pretty simple assuming your DMM has a diode test function.

Not technically foolproof, but it will give you an indication. Rember to test the pre-driver tranny as Luke has said.

Dave

Ah exactly what I needed, thanks a lot Furballx, the full DMM explanation.

I forgot a bit my in depth electrical courses tbh ;-)

I'll go through that since I'm really thinking it comes from some chip somewhere. The mechanical part is fine imo, but as I'm no expert (yet ...) I still admit I can be wrong.

The problem is it's my only pin, so I can't switch board, I would have love to do that since it would mean I have another one ;-)

At the same time I have an update, the top right flipper have stop working completely. On my last game it stopped itself. So I stopped playing and opened it. Went through a complete check, flipper is fine everything looked ok. Cleaned the opto, checked the fuses and the board. Couldn't find anything.

Tryed it again and it worked for 2 or 3 min then gave up again.

By gave up mean there is absolutely nothin happening when pressing the button. The down right is completely fine, the top right is not moving at all.

I went through the tests and it doesn't move neither, meaning the opto is ruled out right ?

So I guess I'll have to change the flipper control board and hope it work ....