Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

honey bee aristocrat resto thread

story goes

last week had to drop a free ticket to the cinemas at a mates work place. Turns out he worked at a local news paper

so while waiting i went stuff it ill post a wanted advert in one of the local papers as never know

well paper went out today and got a sms at lunch

lady had this old aristocrat that her sister got from a pub she worked at in NSW over 30 years ago as they were converting to push button. Had a look and she said carried around australia and its been on the will do list but she saw my advert and thought its time to give up on it

she said it was jammed but i thought from AA reading could be a stuck switch or coin somewhere. Her cousin had the mechanism greased up and free so i thought cant be too hard. Its been in a shed all its life so internally shes clean the outside needs love but its not bad for age

plugged it in and so far 1 fluro up the top works. i managed to figure out a coin had stuck in the rotating wheel thingy so once that was out she spins fine and pays out.

she was unsure of price so i went in at $200 as i thought it was fair and wasnt sure of reaction. she was happy with that so i loaded it into a trailer as its heavy :o

ive never had one before so excited i got one to play with

cheers should scrub up ok

the paint has rust as does the chrome but i thought steel wool and polish will fix most

it was the glass that had me most worried if that was cracked then its a killer to find.

well i did get offered another a few months ago but that was 1k

even cash converters recently had a old jubilee but that was $1300.

ive removed the crappy aluminum sheet too from the bottom hopper as it was shoddy and looked to be operator made (guess for ciggies and crap to spill on)

im curious now as to how much a middy cost in nsw back in the 70s as payouts aint that big (2.30 for 4 in a row)

All up i had $5 in change in the machine

im going to look into repainting or powdercoating the shell next week. hopefully keep colours close to original purple

has alot of surface rust to tidy. tommorow going to start polishing the chrome and see how it scrubs up but i reckon will come up nice

still spins up a treat

I remember about 1972 that schooners(bigger than a middy) were 50 cents each in Newcastle on a Friday / Saturday night. Premium nights of course so a middy would have been about 25-35 cents usually. Those were the days but we only got about $30 a week.

im curious now as to how much a middy cost in nsw back in the 70s as payouts aint that big (2.30 for 4 in a row)

well i thought to take out the ballast and further look it showed that there was a loose terminal block so tightened it up and turned the machine back on

one fluro on the door lit up so yay progress. i replaced those 2 fluros and the starters with a same wattage as before.

fluro still flickered and out of curiousity i replaced the top starter with a new one i got and put the old one down the bottom with a old one that was in there previously. Turned back on top fluro kicked in and then a few seconds later the bottom 2 came to life

sent a photo to the original owner to show her the progress and so far im happy. im going to leave the case as is and just tidy the surface rust but will paint the coin dial as since its now lit up it looks terrible (will go matt black)

well i thought to take out the ballast and further look it showed that there was a loose terminal block so tightened it up and turned the machine back on

one fluro on the door lit up so yay progress. i replaced those 2 fluros and the starters with a same wattage as before.

fluro still flickered and out of curiousity i replaced the top starter with a new one i got and put the old one down the bottom with a old one that was in there previously. Turned back on top fluro kicked in and then a few seconds later the bottom 2 came to life

sent a photo to the original owner to show her the progress and so far im happy. im going to leave the case as is and just tidy the surface rust but will paint the coin dial as since its now lit up it looks terrible (will go matt black)

Very, very cool. Nice work narf_

• 4 years later...