Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 17 Game 8 - Fly-Boy [WEEK 1]

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]

Fly-Boy

[/TD]

[TD]

MGL 17 Game 8

[/TD]

[TD]

Nominated by: RMacauley

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/118124210785.png[/TD]

[TD]http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/118124210781.png[/TD]

[TD]http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/118124210782.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Game Settings

ROM Name:

flyboy.zip

DIP Switches:

Lives: 3

Invulnerability Cheat: Off

Game Info

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Sound: Unamplified Mono (one channel)

Controls:

Joystick - 4 Way

Buttons - 1 [Dive]

Game Introduction

Side scrolling view of a hanglider flying from right to left over various terrains while avoiding flying planes, helicopters and other airborne objects. The idea is to fly across the ground and land on a pad for points. The further the pad, the higher the points.

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the subject line of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score. Fly-Boy comp closes Sunday 7PM AEDST March 31st.

Check back here for progress scores..... Good Luck :cool:

Final Standings

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Rank

[/TD]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]Score

[/TD]

[TD]MGL Points

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]Foot[/TD]

[TD]213,560[/TD]

[TD]25 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/goldmedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]RMacauley[/TD]

[TD]204,100[/TD]

[TD]20 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/silvermedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]DKong[/TD]

[TD]183,620[/TD]

[TD]16 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/bronzemedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]ED_209[/TD]

[TD]170,420[/TD]

[TD]13[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]MameShane[/TD]

[TD]154,260[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]Nicko71[/TD]

[TD]113,740[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]kane[/TD]

[TD]85,060[/TD]

[TD]9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]John73[/TD]

[TD]17,660[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by John73
Updated scores to final standings

I'd forgotten just how frustrating this game can be. 4 way doesn't seem right but I'm not pulling my controller apart again just yet. As for button 1 Dive. Since when has rapidly kicking been classed as a dive. KLOV gets one wrong again. :lol

Edit: I was wrong. It's definitely a 4 way controller.

flyboy.png.1c5cc98146ae2ee68bb4421928a3c7f0.png

Edited by RMacauley

• Super Moderator

I hate the 3rd level, alright when you work out a pattern I suppose.

I might have to try and actually get the bonus letters to get a better score

flyb0004.png.55cdfb35bf738bcd089eb855a510195b.png

I can't work out the scoring in this one. :huh: I can get the bonus pretty much every time on level 1 but what does it do? :unsure And the bases that you land on at the end look like they have between 1,000 and 5,000 on them but sometimes I get given 50,000. Can anybody help with how the scoring actually works? It kinda sucks to finish level 1 with 65,000 and then finish level 2 with only 75,000.

I can't work out the scoring in this one. :huh: I can get the bonus pretty much every time on level 1 but what does it do? :unsure And the bases that you land on at the end look like they have between 1,000 and 5,000 on them but sometimes I get given 50,000. Can anybody help with how the scoring actually works? It kinda sucks to finish level 1 with 65,000 and then finish level 2 with only 75,000.

I've got in trouble in the past for even hinting at a hint in the first week. However.....

You have 10 seconds to land. The landing pads are worth in order 1K, 2K, 3K, 1K, 5K. If you go for the 5K and don't land you're screwed as 1 there's no more landing pads and 2 even if there was you only have 2 seconds left.

The bonus flags are the key here. Collect BONUS in order without collecting a letter out of sequence and the value of where you land is multiplied 10X. 5K with bonus = 50K. If you collect a letter out of sequence (for example BONN) all letters reset when you screw up. It doesn't reset if you have all 5 letters so you can grab flags for points.

I can get the first and usually the second BONUS in order. Sometimes the second stage S screws me over.

I've got in trouble in the past for even hinting at a hint in the first week. However.....

You have 10 seconds to land. The landing pads are worth in order 1K, 2K, 3K, 1K, 5K. If you go for the 5K and don't land you're screwed as 1 there's no more landing pads and 2 even if there was you only have 2 seconds left.

The bonus flags are the key here. Collect BONUS in order without collecting a letter out of sequence and the value of where you land is multiplied 10X. 5K with bonus = 50K. If you collect a letter out of sequence (for example BONN) all letters reset when you screw up. It doesn't reset if you have all 5 letters so you can grab flags for points.

I can get the first and usually the second BONUS in order. Sometimes the second stage S screws me over.

Yep that second stage S can be a game breaker, tried a bit on the 3rd level to get the BONUS but ended up to busy just trying to dodge the spheres. I didn't realise there was a 5000 bonus, went past the 3000 and it was 1000 so thought that must be it. I will have to try for the 5000 now.

Thanks Rob! That makes much more sense now. :D

ED_209_flyboy_145860.thumb.jpg.6accc866a93fd4eb2088c4e05bf71c78.jpg

I think it'd be better if the points popped up on screen for each ship you take down. Any idea how much taking out a plane or helicopter is worth? And the multiplier at the end could be displayed as it counts onto your score which'd make a bit more sense. I guess it might not have been commonplace for game developers to think of that kind of stuff in '82.

Foot, I just realized I've landed only 130 pts behind your score! :cry

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49104[/ATTACH]

If you cant say anything nice....

Don't complain, your score is about 58,110 ahead of mine :lol

Must give this game a bit more of a go next week, only had a couple of games and I have sweet FA idea what I'm doing.

• Super Moderator

Started concentrating on trying max out the bonus in as many early rounds as I can. If I missed a critical letter I ran the annoying little sod into something to start over.

flyb0006.png.4eaf432d6c375159fac2994c96c75fce.png