Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Anyone here? - "A kit based pinball machine for you to build"

Homepin

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-kit-based-pinball-machine-for-you-to-build

Some extracts:

Hi,

We're in the process of designing a pinball kit. What's a pinball kit?

Basically it's the IKEA of pinballs. We will supply everything you need to assemble a pinball table. This includes the flippers, pop bumpers, posts and rubber, lights (LEDs), scoring display, electronics, wiring and power supply.

The kit does not look like a full size machine with legs and back-glass. However, it is a full size table at the correct angle. The base is wooden and covered in an acrylic overlay that has the play-field artwork on the underside. All holes are pre-drilled and LEDs are mounted to the wooden section, as are the solenoids and other mechanical components. An 8-digit LED-style scoring display is mounted in the bottom section of the table. We will use a mix of our own parts and real parts. Major components like flippers, pop-bumpers, posts and rubber will be real. No glass will cover the table. We think it's more fun to play without the glass anyway!

We can't copy existing tables due to copyright restrictions so the first table we're designing is original. But, it does have the things you've come to expect in a great table. Lanes, targets, gates, roll-overs etc. as well as bonus multipliers, extra ball, specials and more. Our first table will be retro-looking, like the tables of the late 70's and early 80's.

As we progress with new tables we'll be adding drop targets, ramps, captive balls, multi-ball etc.

What makes this unique is that we're going to open up the design of the pinball tables to the public and build kits based on submitted designs. Not all designs will be manufactured but we'll select the best from the bunch. It only has to be a rough drawing with notes about game-play. You're welcome to submit artwork ideas too and our artists will design them properly for the table. Having said that we're not after designs at this stage but we do want to know what you think and if you'd be interested in this product.

Pricing is expected to be around US$800-$1000 for the first table.

We want this to be fun to build, fun to play, and fun to customise.

Let us know what you think.

Regards,

The Pinball Kits Team

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. We'll try to answer the questions that have come up so far.

Prototype

It's in construction at the moment and we too would hold out on buying one until we saw pictures and a video. No point ordering something you've never seen working.

Glass

Sounds like it's mandatory. We were trying to keep the costs down with the kit. We may have to offer this as an option. Yes, there is the noise and dirt factor that glass can reduce.

Size

The table will be a standard table size based on the Gottlieb 70's/80's EM machines.

The Look

It looks like a real pinball table, it just doesn't have the cabinet. We've done this because we want to keep costs down and because if you're really serious you could use a real cabinet and mount the table into it.

Mechanical Assembly

The nuts, bolts, screws, playfield assembly is done easily with a screwdriver and a spanner. There won't be any drilling. That's all done. Just mount the components.

Electrical Assembly

We're still discussing whether to supply a pre-made wiring harness with screw-in terminals, or a pre-made harness with soldered terminals, or a pre-made harness with connectors. There are some things to consider here. 1) not everyone can solder, 2) screwing wires to terminal blocks is easy but time consuming, 3) using connectors is even easier but without a locking mechanism they could fall out. Our prototype is hand soldered at the moment of course but we want to make this simple for the end user. We're probably going to select option 3. This option also means there can be minimal mistakes when you connect electrical components. There's nothing worse than building something and it doesn't work. Connectors would mostly eliminate this problem. Naturally each kit would be tested before leaving us.

Game Play and Computer Software

This is not based on a PC. This is a stand-alone system. There is nothing to code, we do that for you and the system comes pre-programmed. Plug in the micro-controller and switch it on. We're basing the system on the popular Arduino open-source electronic platform. Why? Well there are a few reasons. Firstly, there's a lot of code available at the moment to speed development. Secondly, a lot of people can program using this micro-controller. Thirdly, we're looking at releasing the source code so you can tinker, modify and share your game/scoring with others. We think this is important. Rather than just building the game and playing it, we think updating it, changing it, or making the game-play better is also half the fun. It's also fun to share with the rest of the pinball community. It also makes the game more accessible to those that never thought of building a pinball machine but have a love of the Arduino. So, the electronics are made in-house based around this system. We do not want to use existing pinball electronics or systems from a third party supplier. We want to keep everything in-house.

Power

A sealed 110-240 volt switch mode power supply is supplied with the kit.

Customer designed play-fields

No, we are not making individual play-fields for customers. Yes, we will accept designs from customers and select a design that we think will be popular. We'll probably open it up for discussion and feedback and only then put it into production. We will design a production version for each game and test before releasing it.

Deposit?

We're not sure what you mean by this. We're not taking deposits at all. When the kit is ready to ship only then will we take orders and payment.

An Atari?

No, we're not making anything like that. We're using mostly real parts (pop bumpers, stand-offs, rubber, flippers). It's also a full size table.

Table layouts based on existing machines

We know that the artwork is copyright and we're investigating whether game-play or play-field layout is also copyright. However, we're in two minds here about existing layouts assuming there are no copyright issues. We could design the kit to be just like a real layout. Let's pick Playboy for example. Everyone knows that machine. 1) Why would we want to make Playboy when the actual machine already exists? People could simply buy a second hand version. 2) If we made Playboy people would compare it to the real one and pick differences between the table layout, the artwork, the materials used. Discussions would descend into the usual level of negative comment. 3) Perhaps people would buy a kit version of Playboy because the real one is too expensive or not available. 4) Why try to make an existing machine when we can make something completely new and perhaps a lot more fun and challenging to play? As you can see there are a number of things to think about. We're concerned that negativity towards a 'clone' of an existing table would hurt what we're trying to achieve here, which is, to make a pinball machine at home accessible, fun to build and great to play.

Our prototype play field

We've incorporated elements from Firepower, Close Encounters and Duotron into the prototype. This is more a proof of concept rather than a final design. No doubt there will be people out there that have their favourite machine, or like elements of that machine. A captive ball, a rotary target, spinners etc. However as we first mentioned we'd like to base our first kit on the classic tables from the 70's and 80's. Given the modern electronics we have now, we can build a machine that has a more complex scoring system, is more interesting to play and has more flashing lights!

By the way, we're based in Sydney, Australia and have no connection with any past or present pinball companies. We have done a lot of electronic/interfacing projects before on complex avionics systems and we're pretty excited to bring this one to production. Yes, we like aircraft, but we like pinballs even more!

Thanks for all of the comments so far.

Regards,

The Pinball Kits Team

Sounds great but I am always sceptical when there is no name of the poster, no website to look at anything, no contact details, Google search reveals nothing????

times ticking to get homepin happening Mike

Doesn't worry me one bit - the more the merrier. It would have a lot more promise if there was some contact info or something to add a bit of credibility though? Time will tell I guess.

thanks for posting, agree with more info needed.

my concern is how much do they know about pinball when you have never heard of ben heck. I know he is not a pinball god but he is know for pinball creations ????

I reckon if they did the playfield kits with the control system and a display and then they supply plans for a table top cabinet or a full pinball cabinet so we the end buyer can build a cabinet and fit the playfield into it. Then if they do another playfield you change out the playfield and the 2nd kit is much cheaper.

hopefully some more info will come out soon.

I am very close to an anouncement along these lines.............

thanks for posting, agree with more info needed.

my concern is how much do they know about pinball when you have never heard of ben heck. I know he is not a pinball god but he is know for pinball creations ????

I reckon if they did the playfield kits with the control system and a display and then they supply plans for a table top cabinet or a full pinball cabinet so we the end buyer can build a cabinet and fit the playfield into it. Then if they do another playfield you change out the playfield and the 2nd kit is much cheaper.

hopefully some more info will come out soon.

I think you should forget about it and put all your eggs into developing the first Aussie pinball company.....!

None of my friends would bother to make them themselves. The idea of farking up something and needing an experts costly helping hand to repair your blunder is a major deterent. So is the legless, cabinetless, motiveless charisma of your machine.

Making an exclusive series of Australian pinball machines based on themes like......"Ayers Rock (Dingo Ate My Baby)", "Surfers Paradise (Schoolies Shark Attack Massacre)", "Bushfire (burnt to a crisp)", The Barrier Reef (Toxic Oil Spill)", Perth (shoot the feral zombies)"......you get my drift? You wouldn't need any patents or licenses just a good Aussie sense of humour and sarcastic/completely over the top ideas to make us want to buy these Aussie themed pinballs.

If they are made to international standards, ship them overseas.....make one called "Strangled" a murder pinball where the killer strangles people with spaghetti & cabonara (sell a few hundred to Italy?). Or "Kangascrewed" a demented tale of Kangaroos. Koalas and Emus killing Japanese tourists at Byron Bay.

Once you get your costs right add some unheard of extras like real smoke pouring outta the playfield making it harder to navigate the motive on the playfield. Imagine getting shocked by the flippers or smelling disgusting smells everytime you hit the Do-Not-Hit-Ass target on the belching beer pinball machine.

All you need is a cabinet maker, struggling Aussie artists, Machinest/boilermaker and your apparent electrical skills.

Keep the price between $2800-$4000 and they'll definetely sell downunder.

I think you should forget about it and put all your eggs into developing the first Aussie pinball company.....!

None of my friends would bother to make them themselves. The idea of farking up something and needing an experts costly helping hand to repair your blunder is a major deterent. So is the legless, cabinetless, motiveless charisma of your machine.

Making an exclusive series of Australian pinball machines based on themes like......"Ayers Rock (Dingo Ate My Baby)", "Surfers Paradise (Schoolies Shark Attack Massacre)", "Bushfire (burnt to a crisp)", The Barrier Reef (Toxic Oil Spill)", Perth (shoot the feral zombies)"......you get my drift? You wouldn't need any patents or licenses just a good Aussie sense of humour and sarcastic/completely over the top ideas to make us want to buy these Aussie themed pinballs.

If they are made to international standards, ship them overseas.....make one called "Strangled" a murder pinball where the killer strangles people with spaghetti & cabonara (sell a few hundred to Italy?). Or "Kangascrewed" a demented tale of Kangaroos. Koalas and Emus killing Japanese tourists at Byron Bay.

Once you get your costs right add some unheard of extras like real smoke pouring outta the playfield making it harder to navigate the motive on the playfield. Imagine getting shocked by the flippers or smelling disgusting smells everytime you hit the Do-Not-Hit-Ass target on the belching beer pinball machine.

All you need is a cabinet maker, struggling Aussie artists, Machinest/boilermaker and your apparent electrical skills.

Keep the price between $2800-$4000 and they'll definetely sell downunder.

It wouldn't be the first Aussie company. Already been done in the late 70's....Hankin, with Howzat and F J Holden. The market is just not there in Aust to produce pins :)

It wouldn't be the first Aussie company. Already been done in the late 70's....Hankin, with Howzat and F J Holden. The market is just not there in Aust to produce pins :)

I'm sorry I wasn't aware of that, is there any info on this site?

Producing anything is a gamble so while you will sell some kits to enthuisiasts, you will not appeal to everyone. The chances of selling a complete pinball machine are greater if the cost is right.

Edited by furballx
Double post fixed