Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 17 - Game 3 Exzisus [COMPLETED]

• Administrators
Hey Brad, well done. Unfortunately I didn't get to play more of this today. So considering you kept dying at the Scorpion / or on the next level, how did you manage to get such a high score? I kept doing the same but could only manage high 500K?

Hi Pelly,

Well whilst I died at the scorpion many times, on the occasions when I got through I would die at the snot like things that grow from the bottom and hit the roof. They elongate is a REALLY fast pattern and you have to time your moves past them. I died more times here than anywhere else apart from the scorpion as in between each of these is a bottom gun that keeps firing at you. If you don't have decent missiles it's a pain in the arse :realmad:

When you die in the game you get sent back to a particular point and have to fight your way through. When I got that high score, I was on something like 600k with 4 men? left. I thought hell I'm not going to crack a winning score now but I did not reckon with the huge amount of enemy formations and the 1000 point formation clear bonus. I was a point whore in this game every time I played and ensured I cleared pretty much every formation. Each formation along with the kill points give you 1000 points. So along with each killed enemy which has a minimum 100 points you get a formation clearance bonus of 1000 points. Now play a section of game with shitloads of formations and your score starts racking up nicely.

Have to play that same section of shitloads of formations 3-4 times in a row and my score jumped 150k just like that. Once you get past the snot like things your again presented with a LOT of formations so your score goes crazy again.

I found with the scorpion boss the trick was to be in man form with the top and bottom satellite drones rather than fighter as you could use the satellites to block bullets and those stupid lobbed barrels. The issue there of course is that get hit once and your dead so no second chances. Once you successfully master that tactic it gets a little easier but still insane =(

Cheers,

Brad

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Already explained this but will again

You are confusing an explanation with your unsubstantiated claims and statements.

as it's clealrly something that continues to bother you.

What's more a bother is the dismissive recurring theme put up by a few in MGL that says it been discussed before and is immoveable, no further discussion encouraged or allowed. Do you know that a forum is a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged? Your thoughts are just some among many, not some divine handed down unquestionable pearls of wisdom

It's something decided long ago when moved from the % scoring system which existed previously, as it was decided it was fairer - as the % system means someone scores a huge amount of points when they thrash everyone, and everyone else scores bugger-all. THis creates a huge dis-parity between the high scorers, and the rest. In recent MGL's where RMac thrashes everyone on a lot of games... only means he would have an even greater margin.

I did look at the last two MGLs with this in mind, (see the link below for the scores comparison and outcomes) - and it's true that RM is head and shoulder above everyone else, but guess what - the outcome at the pointy end didn't change with %age based scoring, at the bottom half the % system provides a fairer picture. I'm all ears for any situation where you can point out it would have made any real change - you and a few others claim this, so I ask where is the evidence? There's the data from more than a few rounds available, please point me to the competition outcome it would have changed.

The current format does a bit to even the field out. That's the point.

It compresses the mid to lower range for no advantage and excludes points to any more than 15 players. I looked at a few cases over the last two comps; have a read about it here.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/56862-MGL-17-Leaderboard-2-Games-Completed?p=716534#post716534

Never heard of an MGL'er complaining about being rewarded for participation, or that they found their points offensive

It was irony - to spell it out in full I was pointing out how stupid it is to reward someone for such a tokenistic single game effort. The offence is to those who had a decent go but were rewarded by only an addition point or so. I'll try and slow it down so every one understands in future.

:lol keep up the comedy.

I think the jokes on you for not having the freedom of thought, ability or willingness to analyse the scoring / situation and respond with anything substantive and factual.

I welcome sensible discussion, but drop the patronising tone and replace it with sensible comment; throw in some facts, evidence, try some real life examples to support your case and see if your argument still stacks up. I don't think it does.

Firepower... everything is voted in MGL. The current scoring system - voted in by majority many MGL's ago. And again at the start of this MGL it was discussed again. And at the start of every MGL. It was voted to keep the current scoring system - again. Why don't you go back and check how close the finishes of MGL's became after the motor racing points format was introduced ? We would have three- four -five people able to win come the last game. Almost every time. That is the point - to keep the scoring close. And it worked like a charm.

Of course when you have a gaming superstar in the form of Rmac come along then he will margin everyone regardless of the points system.

I think you have been very thorough in your analysis in that thread you linked (I hadn't seen it before) and you should be proud of the amount of effort you have put into your research. Clearly @John73 is also a fan of the percentage format too and he's the current MGL boss so maybe it will be implemented anyway. But as always it's put to the vote in MGL - let the numbers decide.

I'm sorry if I patronised you (yeah I admit I did, smack smack) but as always you have used emotive language in your post 'offensive' scores etc so you should expect response in kind - I am no diplomat and not about to change. Same last time when you had a big long moan about how games are selected, and wouldn't let it go for weeks - when the people selecting the games are only trying to do the best thing for MGL.

If I feel I have more of a say than you, it's cause I do and I have earned it. why don't you try running an MGL and find out the amount of time and mental energy it takes of your life. I've run 3x MGL and introduced the Kong Off. What have you done ? @DKong had to stop running MGL cause of time constraints so he asked me to take over as I had been running comps on another forum. our teenagers are now proving too much of a handful plus two dogs and a wife plus running MGL it was just too much so I asked @John73 to take over to which he kindly accepted.

I feel the only real valid point the % format has, is that the MGL has now grown to the point where there are more than 15 players playing in most games.... this was almost never the case before. MGL has grown a lot and yes I feel I had a hand in that growth if you look at participation. (for better or for worse @Rat :) ) and some people get no points if they finish outside 15. And I do agree that playing for no points isn't much of a motivator. No argument.

However, and I mean this kiindly.... who really cares who finishes mid field, where you say the difference lies in the % system ? I'm pretty certain that not even the midpack fiinishers care - maybe except you ? Most people play MGL for fun and fun only. It's not meant to be a serious thing. Maybe you should treat it with a lighter heart than you do.

Final points for game 3 updated on page 1, but here they are again:

Final Standings

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Rank

[/TD]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]Score

[/TD]

[TD]MGL Points

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]Brad[/TD]

[TD]894,770[/TD]

[TD]25 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/goldmedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]RMacauley[/TD]

[TD]714,960[/TD]

[TD]20 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/silvermedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]DKong[/TD]

[TD]666,850[/TD]

[TD]16 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/bronzemedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]Pelly[/TD]

[TD]595,120[/TD]

[TD]13[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]ED_209[/TD]

[TD]536,090[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]Mameshane[/TD]

[TD]488,130[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]nicko71[/TD]

[TD]456,100[/TD]

[TD]9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]kane[/TD]

[TD]419,170[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]9[/TD]

[TD]Foot[/TD]

[TD]323,540[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]Skarn[/TD]

[TD]265,490[/TD]

[TD]6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]azathoth[/TD]

[TD]248,010[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]12[/TD]

[TD]John73[/TD]

[TD]29,000[/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]13[/TD]

[TD]Fire_Power[/TD]

[TD]10,600[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Congrats to our 3 medal winners.... The MGL leaderboard will be updated in a few minutes.

Hi Pelly,

Well whilst I died at the scorpion many times, on the occasions when I got through I would die at the snot like things that grow from the bottom and hit the roof. They elongate is a REALLY fast pattern and you have to time your moves past them. I died more times here than anywhere else apart from the scorpion as in between each of these is a bottom gun that keeps firing at you. If you don't have decent missiles it's a pain in the arse :realmad:

When you die in the game you get sent back to a particular point and have to fight your way through. When I got that high score, I was on something like 600k with 4 men? left. I thought hell I'm not going to crack a winning score now but I did not reckon with the huge amount of enemy formations and the 1000 point formation clear bonus. I was a point whore in this game every time I played and ensured I cleared pretty much every formation. Each formation along with the kill points give you 1000 points. So along with each killed enemy which has a minimum 100 points you get a formation clearance bonus of 1000 points. Now play a section of game with shitloads of formations and your score starts racking up nicely.

Have to play that same section of shitloads of formations 3-4 times in a row and my score jumped 150k just like that. Once you get past the snot like things your again presented with a LOT of formations so your score goes crazy again.

I found with the scorpion boss the trick was to be in man form with the top and bottom satellite drones rather than fighter as you could use the satellites to block bullets and those stupid lobbed barrels. The issue there of course is that get hit once and your dead so no second chances. Once you successfully master that tactic it gets a little easier but still insane =(

Cheers,

Brad

Thanks for the reply Brad. I suspected as much. Just though you may have found some hidden "Raiden like fairy" worth a bunch of points I didn't know about or something :P

I want to apologise for my earlier rant :redface I blame some bigtime crap at work going on in the last week for making me vent in the wrong way.

Apologies to all for going a bit far off topic in the gaming thread.

What @Fire_Power suggested is reasonable and I don't see why it couldn't be trialled in the next MGL.

Amazing what a the prospect of not having to work till next wednesday can do for jangled nerves...