Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Boring question

I was moving some things around in my pin storage room and found a pile of wood dust under the wooden legs of one of my woodrail games.

It seems some borers have decided they weren't finished feasting on the timber that theses legs are made of.

I bought the game about four years back and there were some borer holes in the cab and legs but was told they had been there for years and the pests were long gone.

After madly inspecting the other pins stored in the room and hoping they hadnt started on the house I noticed some fresh dust in the cabinet too.

Does anyone know anything about these bloody things?Can they live for years in timber or are these a new lot?:unsure

I have been to Bunnings and bought some termite kill but am reluctant to use it cos it recommends wetting of varnished surfaces prior to applying and I'm not sure i like that idea.

The game is now baking in the garden shed until I work out what to do.

I have had a couple of suggestions so far: Put the whole machine in water and drown them and the other was to pour petrol over it and flick a match as a guaranteed way to kill the pests.

Anyone got any better ideas?

next time in the near future you see a pest exterminator van/ute, have a yak with the guy. they have the good stuff and will sometimes part with some for beer or even better, quite often at the end of the day they have some left in the big tanks on the back and are quite happy to pour a little out if you come across as a reasonable bloke. even better, ask him if he wants a game or three of pinball and a beer while he had a look..

it worked for me once in victoria a few years back .. even managed to sell the guy some neons!

The termite treatment 'Termidor' will be the best stuff. It has an active ingredient called Fipronil. This is also found in other products used in agriculture (Regent) and vet (Frontline). Its great stuff, reasonably harmless to humans - don't drink it though.

I would spray some straight onto the cab base or wherever they are chewing - should knock them pretty quick

Borers in trees can be eliminated by finding their entrance holes and injecting poison at these points. Can you see any little holes on the exterior of the cabinet anywhere?

Yea there's quite lot in the cabinet, luckily the playfield is ok. I will be trying to get hold of some "termidor" which robm recommended and maybe some sort of syringe:confused:

I actually bought a product from bunnings for termites but it suggests spraying of the whole surface after initially wetting with water.

Edited by EM Addict

A buddy of mine tried the stuff from bunnings at the beginning, but when the termite guy came out he said it was crap and won't do anything to the termites. Termites hate light. My bud has since had the whole perimeter of his house plugged, where about every 12 inches they insert a "pod" stake like thing in the ground to deter them. Well all this has done is trap them inside. The termites are now eating all the skirting boards, door surrounds etc. as it is an oldish house it has timber they like, they also won't touch mdf. His drama has been going on for 18 months with constant calls to the termite exterminators but still they keep eating. It has caused him extreme stress and anxiety, loss of sleep and has left him feeling helpless and it has cost him thousands$$$.