Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Donkey Kong 2013 Aussie Killscreen Challenge

As mentioned in other threads, I really think we need an Aussie Killscreen on what is most probably the most well known arcade game and without doubt the game that will earn you the ultimate respect as a classic gamer.

This thread is dedicated to my 2013 efforts to reach that goal as well as anyone else that wishes to join in. Even if you don't manage the elusive killscreen, it would be nice if we can at least increase some scores on DK and let the international community know how good we are.

I wouldn't say I have natural skills at this game, people like Hank Chien, Dean Saglio, Steve Wiebe, Vincent Lemay etc. etc. would have already been well over 500k after the same number of games I've played over the year. My approach this year is practice, practice and more practice. I'm aiming to play at least once every day, but more likely to have several games (5+) per day.

Anyway, join in if you wish. Post anything related to DK and achieving a killscreen in here along with your progress if you are playing. The current AA Top 10 at Donkey Kong is here: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/20946-Donkey-Kong-(King-of-AA). So don't forget to post your screen shot of your best score in here as well, I'll get around to updating this thread shortly so that it shows all scores, not just the top 10.

Good luck :cool:

My progress to date (6th day, 31 games played and slowly but steadily improving)

Best score 244,300, last screen completed 33 of 117 (28% of the way to the killscreen). Did a very quick calculation of my scoring in one game and it would put me on target for around a 890k killscreen. First target is killscreen, next is worry about increasing my scoring rate.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/dkongprogress_zps85bd9967.png

A bit of a shame it's not such a great game :lol

I didn't like the game until I joined the MGL and the first Kong Off was run, after getting some help in how to play it's now a favourite, watching the King of Kong also inspired me to play more.

Nice idea, and hopefully one I can participate on this year (not much time due to work :().

When I originally got inspired (due to king of kong) I played up to 5 games a day to practice over the course of around 4 months. My average scores were around the mid 200k with my high score just under 500k. I ended up stopping as I just got burnt out playing it. But would really like to get back into it.

There is plenty of guides/help if you look for it, I remember on the twin galaxies forum there was a whole thread dedicated to improving your gameplay from all the really good players. Some even had YouTube vids with gameplay tips also.

Nice idea, and hopefully one I can participate on this year (not much time due to work :().

When I originally got inspired (due to king of kong) I played up to 5 games a day to practice over the course of around 4 months. My average scores were around the mid 200k with my high score just under 500k. I ended up stopping as I just got burnt out playing it. But would really like to get back into it.

There is plenty of guides/help if you look for it, I remember on the twin galaxies forum there was a whole thread dedicated to improving your gameplay from all the really good players. Some even had YouTube vids with gameplay tips also.

You're some way ahead of me. Did you record any of your games? If you have a game, post a screen shot of your best score and I'll add you to the other AA King of Kong thread, you'd be in 2nd place at the moment. You'd also be 2nd place from memory in the list of Australian players on TG. We will be running the AA Kong Off again this year (3rd year), so even if you don't play too much due to work, try and join in for that :)

You're some way ahead of me. Did you record any of your games? If you have a game, post a screen shot of your best score and I'll add you to the other AA King of Kong thread, you'd be in 2nd place at the moment. You'd also be 2nd place from memory in the list of Australian players on TG. We will be running the AA Kong Off again this year (3rd year), so even if you don't play too much due to work, try and join in for that :)

Will try and join in the 3rd kong off.

When I was practicing I wrote down the date and score of every game, it helps to see how you improve.

On another note, somewhere on my pc I have a pdf of "a guide to donkey kong" book that was in the king of kong movie. It's useful for guys that want to learn a few of the basic tricks in the game. If anyone need it, let me know.

Will try and join in the 3rd kong off.

When I was practicing I wrote down the date and score of every game, it helps to see how you improve.

On another note, somewhere on my pc I have a pdf of "a guide to donkey kong" book that was in the king of kong movie. It's useful for guys that want to learn a few of the basic tricks in the game. If anyone need it, let me know.

I think I know the book you're talking about and I have read it, Hank Chien also posted a link to it in a thread I posted on CAGDC - http://www.scribd.com/doc/7330934/How-to-Win-at-Donkey-Kong

Mitchell Elliot (I don't know who he is, but I'd asuume he is a decent player) and Vincent Lemay are also working on a book, not sure when it will be released but it would be an excellent read if Vincent has input into it (as long as his section isn't in French :lol)

Livestreaming of the "wild cards" from the last Kong Off details are here: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/51434-Live-Streaming-Announcements-Post-in-here-when-you-are-about-to-play-live/page6

Also got a link for the "Pauline" program which is a DK pace program which you can use while playing DK to work out what your final score will be.... download it here : http://www.solidfiles.com/d/c5397e5147/

Unfortunately it only works while playing in Windowed mode, not sure if it works playing with dual monitors but I'll give it a shot when I can.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I grab a copy of that spread sheet? I want to give this ago also. My PB is 170000 exactly. Got it a few months back when I was playing every day. I will have to check my snaps folder and see if I still have a screen shot of it when I did it.

When do u think this years kong off will be held?

on what is most probably the most well known arcade game and without doubt the game that will earn you the ultimate respect as a classic gamer.

Let me throw some doubt ;) I would say that both Space Invaders and Pacman are more widely known and recognized today than Donkey Kong. I agree that the DK killscreen is a difficult goal that will gain respect from the small community of nerdy classic gamers who still care, like myself. BUT I don't think the DK killscreen is the ultimate stand out achievement of classic gaming, there are plenty of other goals that deserve similar respect, such as the Perfect Score on Pacman. I am trying for a goal myself, 1million on Defender with default settings, which is a goal many try for but few achieve. I'm not sure if I will get there, I'm fairly determined and I have been seeing slow but steady progress, I need to dedicate more time, but work gets in the way :)

Anyway good luck with your goal, I will be interested to see how quickly your scores progress. I'm going to start playing more Defender and being more methodical in my practice, I hope to achieve my goal within the next 6 months.

I personally don't rate the perfect score at pac man anywhere near as high as Donkey Kong kill screen. There is no random element to the pac man score, it's all just learning the patterns.

Not all Pac-Man players use patterns. Bill Mitchell for example did his perfect game by grouping the ghosts similar to what he does in BurgerTime, which is why his game took a few hours longer than the pattern games. Mindblowingly difficult in my opinion...

Can I grab a copy of that spread sheet? I want to give this ago also. My PB is 170000 exactly. Got it a few months back when I was playing every day. I will have to check my snaps folder and see if I still have a screen shot of it when I did it.

When do u think this years kong off will be held?

The MGL Kong Off? Not exactly sure at this stage, it will be between MGL's - so either after this one finishes or after the next one.

Can't give you the spreadsheet unfortunately as it was lost in the great laptop hard drive crash of Fri 8th :(

I haven't had a game of DK for a few weeks now, been way too busy at work. I still want to improve my score, but I'd also like to 3 man kill screen Crazy Kong - a hell of a lot easier than DK, but still a massive effort, even harder if you are going to point press.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me throw some doubt ;) I would say that both Space Invaders and Pacman are more widely known and recognized today than Donkey Kong.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Ask the kiddies today and they all know who Mario (Jumpman) is. Sure Pac-Man is probably better known worldwide, but as Knight pointed out, this game whether you use Patterns or not can be beaten by the use of patterns and I don't put the skill set in the same league. Not saying that you don't need skill to killscreen Pac-Man, but it just ins't the same thing IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
Let me throw some doubt ;) I would say that both Space Invaders and Pacman are more widely known and recognized today than Donkey Kong. I agree that the DK killscreen is a difficult goal that will gain respect from the small community of nerdy classic gamers who still care, like myself. BUT I don't think the DK killscreen is the ultimate stand out achievement of classic gaming, there are plenty of other goals that deserve similar respect, such as the Perfect Score on Pacman. I am trying for a goal myself, 1million on Defender with default settings, which is a goal many try for but few achieve. I'm not sure if I will get there, I'm fairly determined and I have been seeing slow but steady progress, I need to dedicate more time, but work gets in the way :)

I'd have to agree. Space Invaders and Pacman were two absolute breakthrough games in the Arcade scene. Donkey Kong had a much lower profile back then, than it does today. But Mario isn't popular because of Donkey Kong, Mario is popular because of the franchise on Nintendo's many home consoles and handhelds. Ask most kids where Mario first appeared and I guarantee you either they've no idea, or most will mention an early console game like SMW on the SNES. (the best 'Mario' game in my book.)

I think the King of Kong certainly elevated the game's status, certainly motivated many people to acheive great things on it which is good for everyone and the scene in general. I remember spending heaps of money on the cocktail version of Crazy Kong in my local - best was high 300's but I haven't played it seriously for a long time.

All the best for the killscreen though, I hope you or others get there as it is mighty acheivement. and Rat I hope you make 1 million on Defender - I bet you would be totally drained after that..

• 4 weeks later...

John73 are you making any progress on your kill screen? I'm interested to see how much practice time it takes.

I'm still playing Defender, getting about 45min practice a day ATM, seeing slight improvement, beat my PB with 207k round 16 on default, so still a long way to go.

I'm sorry to say that I put this to one side after a couple of weeks. The hard drive crash didn't help as I lost all the data I was keeping :(

I got a bit more back into DK with the wildcard tournament last weekend, so I am trying to play a little bit more.

My gut feeling with DK is that you need a bit of luck when playing it, but it's largely 99% skills that gets your the killscreen. Some people (not many) have it and some people (like me) probably don't have it, and possibly all the practice in the world would not change that.

I guess that sounds like I'm chucking in the towel, and probably I am. I still love this game and would still love to killscreen it or even see an Aussie with their name on the TG leaderboard or playing as a serious contended in the Kong Off, but I'm a bit more realistic that the killscreen probably will never be me.

Keep at defender Rat, 45 min a day is massive devotion to a task if you keep it up.

Maybe seeing Nick posting increasingly higher scores might keep me at DK since we are at roughly the same score (though he has played at lot less than me).

As mentioned elsewhere, the 3rd Annual AA Kong of it coming up in a month or so, maybe that will get me a bit more into it too.... Two whole weeks of konging :cool:

It's a shame you have put DK aside John, but I understand. I wanted to defeat Asteroids but found once I got to about 50k that I had hit a ceiling. Not progressing sapped my motivation.

I'm still making slight progress with Defender so I'm still motivated. Plus I have the support of the legends of the game at the Defender Facebook page.

One day I may apply the practice techniques I have recently learned to Asteroids and give that another crack.

But the most important thing we all need to remember is to play for fun.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

You're right, it does need to remain fun, and when you try and try and don't seem to progress some of the fun does go from the game. Especially when the average game might go for 30 mins and then you have to start all over again :lol

Playing in the recent comp (run through http://www.DonkeyKongForum.com) I found some of the fun again. I also played using my Mame cab for the first real time and it's certainly a lot better than playing using a keyboard.

I'll keep having the occasional game here and there, and we're having running the AA Kong Off in about a months time so I'll play a few more games than normal there. Maybe I'll crack the 300k barrier that I'm stuck at and that will get my motivation back.