Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Funhouse playfield restoration

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3237/after4xv4.jpg

You can see the repainted yellow flag:

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1602/after5xd6.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3685/afterrh5.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/5481/after2rx7.jpg

Thankyou and goodnight! :)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky was too ignorant to listen to those that said it would be a hard job/take me forever! I thought it would be a piece of piss... cue 4 months later :lol

One guy on BYOAC suggested sanding it all back and sticking on a full PF overlay... No thanks :)

I'm picturing a new line of business for you MJ.

"Mickey's Playfield Renovations"

Make your playfield look shmick with Mick.

:D

Heh, I thought you would have mentioned 'Juice' in there somewhere ;)

Seriously awesome work. I wish I had the skill to do playfield touchups like that.

Nah piece of cake. Anyone could do it.

I was lucky the PF was that bad I had nothing to lose :)

wow Mick

you sure thats the same pinball i dropped off

looks great well done

Thanks mate.

Nope, they piece o' crap you left was torched. I pissed on the ashes and resurrected the one you see today ;) :lol

I've said it once on this thread before...

MJ = Aussie version of Bill Davis....

Nah im nowhere near him. Tho if someone gave me some machines for $0 I'm sure I could practice on them ;):badgrin

• 2 weeks later...
Lucky was too ignorant to listen to those that said it would be a hard job/take me forever! I thought it would be a piece of piss... cue 4 months later :lol

One guy on BYOAC suggested sanding it all back and sticking on a full PF overlay... No thanks :)

Very impressive work Mick. :023: It would definitely be a great learning curve for you in playfield restoration. As you have mentioned, you had nothing to lose in going all the way with this project and it has been very inspiring for everyone who has followed your very detailed and excellent coverage throughout the whole process.

Cheers,

Dan :cool:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I see why this thread has a 5 star rating.

I just read the whole thing, "Impressive" just doesn't cut it. You have to admire the patience and skill that has gone into that PF. I know you said that "anyone can do it" but I don't know if I could. I'd be too scared of stuffing it up.

Top job, not just on the resto but on documenting it for everyone else to see and learn from.:023:

I see why this thread has a 5 star rating.

I just read the whole thing, "Impressive" just doesn't cut it. You have to admire the patience and skill that has gone into that PF. I know you said that "anyone can do it" but I don't know if I could. I'd be too scared of stuffing it up.

Top job, not just on the resto but on documenting it for everyone else to see and learn from.:023:

Dammit, because you said you had read it, I had too. :lol

Unbelievable resto mate.

I hope you have sorted the minor issues. Enjoy!!!

I know you said that "anyone can do it" but I don't know if I could. I'd be too scared of stuffing it up.

:

It was that buggered up I had nothing to lose :lol

I hope you have sorted the minor issues. Enjoy!!!

Nah I just put up with the welcome 'screech' from the audio. I'll send it off to someone one day. It hasn't had much play lately so it's 'good enough' atm :)

I'm pissed off.

This thread was so engrossing I just read it from start to finish, when I had important work to do!!!

I went from being happy, because your playfield looked worse than the one I'm debating whether to restore...

... to motivated, as you masked the main worn areas and sprayed with a hobby gun within my price range (already considering buying a compressor).

... to disheartened, when I saw the detail you were going to with the fine black lines, the decals, etc

... to TOTALLY GIVING UP when I saw the fact you entirely stripped the inside of the cabinet, sanded it, painted it, got a pro clearcoat of the playfield, and when I saw the photos that make it 'look like a bought one'. I'm totally dumbfounded, and you should be ashamed to call yourself a 'backyarder'... you're a wolf in sheeps clothing!

Damn you for killing my DIY spirit!

Now to make it up to me, restore my playfield for me please! :lol :lol :lol

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Why clearcoat before touch up???

First of...Great job...

I am just starting on a Funhouse restoration myself. So far I have removed the Mylar, and I do not understand that you had so many problems with the mylar removal. I used the freeze method, and it came right of. Using only one can, and only one insert lost. But maybe there are differences in the type of glue used in the mylar over time, or something.

Now I have a question though. It is mentioned several places that it is a good idea to make a clear coat before touch up is done? I do not understand that? Because wouldn't that mean that there will be two layers of paint. The bad paint and the wear off below the clear coat, and the nice paint above the clear coat??? And will this not become visible???

Know it is an old thread, but it has already helped me out a lot...How you can help me with this doubt so I can get started on my own Funhouse.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...

It's been so long I can't remember the reason :blink:

I never did it (a thin, single layer of clearcoat) before starting the paint touchups. I may have seen it on This Old Pinball DVDs. I'm guessing just to lock in the old paint and provide a nice even, clean surface for touchups.