Thread: Lunar Lander on Steroids ...

State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Lunar Lander on Steroids ...

Back in the early-mid 1980's (in my mid-late teens), I used to spend a lot of time in Byron Bay (on the northern NSW coast of Australia). At the time, there was a little arcade near the beach front, and my family used to go there (usually after having a great dinner at the local Mexican Micks restaurant, and after spending the day surfing). They were very happy days ....

Anyway, the little arcade had a small selection of pinball and video games, but, as it has since turned out, one of the video games was extremely rare, and inspite of extensive searching, I have not been able to find anyone else who has seen this game, let alone played it.

Let me explain further ... In the little Byron Bay video arcade, there was a Lunar Lander type of game (vector graphics, black and white) which had you trying to control a space craft that you had to land at the bottom af a very deep canyon. Cliff walls would race past (for what seemed like minutes), and your fuel was very limited, so you had to time your landings perfectly or be smashed to pieces on the canyon floor. I played the game quite a few times, but it was extremely difficult. I don't remember landing correctly much at all. The view was very much zoomed in - not a zoomed out out distant view.

Unfortunately, I don't remember ever seeing a Title screen for this game, so I never actually found out what it was called. I believed that this game was called "Lunar Lander", because it featured lunar landings. However, when the real Lunar Lander game was added to MAME (amny years ago now), I realized that the real Lunar Lander game (now supported in MAME) was a very tame game compared to the lunar lander style game from the local Byron Bay arcade.

In fact, I have nick-named the Byron Bay game "Lunar Lander on Steroids" because it is so fast paced, zoomed in, and difficult compared to the real Lunar Lander.

So, I immediately set-out to try and find out more about the lunar lander game from Byron Bay. Over the past 5-6 years, I have extensively searched the net and repeatedly posted on r.g.v.a.c, the MAME forums, etc, and all to no avail.

I am trying to prove that this "Lunar Lander on Steroids" does (or did) exist, and I am fully prepared to buy the whole machine or just the PCB.

1. If you live in Australia and are selling the whole arcade machine or just the PCB, please let me know ASAP !!!

2. If you are not in Australia (USA, UK, etc) and are selling the PCB, please let me know ASAP !!!. (I don't want to ship entire arcade machines to Australia at this stage - but I may be prepared to do this in the future).

3. If you know about this machine (who made it, etc), or have any photographs of it, or screen shots, or a brochure, or know where one of the machines is, or have any other information, please let me know ASAP !!!

4. If you are 100% certain that "Lunar Lander on Steroids" will be at at a partricular location in the future (such as the next California Extreme) - then please let me know.

I hope someone can help.

Moose

State
    Newy
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    g'day mate
    I cant help you with the game, but im pretty sure that arcade is where i spent alot of my youth in the late 80's early 90's.
    Was it opposite the famous curry house and just around the corner from the beach pub?
    If so thats where i fell in love with neo geo

State
    In a house, Ipswich, Sunny Qld
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Hi Moose,

Welcome to the forum, I cant help you with the games but I must say your first posts make for great reading.

State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bwodie View Post
    g'day mate
    I cant help you with the game, but im pretty sure that arcade is where i spent alot of my youth in the late 80's early 90's.
    Was it opposite the famous curry house and just around the corner from the beach pub?
    If so thats where i fell in love with neo geo
    Yes indeed - that is the place. Although, back when I used to go there a lot, Neo Geo wasn't out yet.

Some time around 1999, I travelled back to Byron Bay specifically to try and track down the particular "Lunar Lander" machine that was in the arcade, with the purpose of buying it, getting the ROMs dumped, and getting it preserved in MAME. I live in Central Queensland, so this was a 7+ hour drive for me each way - LOL

However, sadly it turned out that the guy behind the counter there (who was the manager) was not not a game fanatic or interested in the games in his arcade. His concern was with making money. I cannot blame him for this, after all, if he doesn't make money, then life and business is pretty miserable.

He said that he had never seen or heard of the machine, and he thought I was absolutely f***ing crazy and/or high on drugs for being so interested in a game that was in his arcade 15+ years ago. (I can still see the incredulous expressions on his face when he spoke to me). Anyway, he couldn't help me or suggest where the machine might have gone or been sold to, or if the machine was sitting in a garage some where. He had no idea where the game might have gone, and he had no suggestions as to who I might contact to find out more about the machine.

Very disappointing. I hate to say it, but my guess is that the game probably broke down one too many times, and ended up at the local rubbish dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil Tracy View Post
    Hi Moose,

Welcome to the forum, I cant help you with the games but I must say your first posts make for great reading.
    Awesome, thanks Virgil.

Hopefully, one day, "Lunar Lander on Steroids" and "Choplifter 1987" will be tracked down, their ROMs dumped, and the games preserved in MAME.
    Last edited by moose; 27th March 2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I admire your dedication Moose - great to see

couldn't you have fallen in love with Street Fighter - would makes things a lot easier on you
    Ric
    looking for:
    the baseboard for a Gottlieb Royal Guard
    Zaccaria Devil Riders Backglass
    Williams OXO, GTB Volcano

State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    I admire your dedication Moose - great to see

couldn't you have fallen in love with Street Fighter - would makes things a lot easier on you
    ROFL !! Yes, a shame it wasn't at the arcade instead .... life would be so much easier ...

State
    Bulli NSW
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1687 Post(s)

State
    Newy
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    that CP is great!

State
    SE Queensland
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    885 Post(s)
    Hi Moose,

I also played Lunar Lander back in the day, but not that often as although I liked the game I found it very hard to play. As such, I didn't spend many of my limited 20 cent coins on it. I have also played it in MAME and was surprised that I found it was a lot easier then I remember, but came to the conclusion it was due to a more responsive keyboard compared to the control on the machine. That and the fact I was only 12 when I first played it I also plan to add this game to my collection one day and have a few pcb's and a control panel, but finding an original cab here in Australia will be a major challenge.

Good luck with your search.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

State
    Ballajura Perth WA
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quoted
    487 Post(s)
    Yes I remember the game.
    I thought I was only dreaming it, but now that you mension it, I played it in Perth.
    I never landed it either, but emptied my wallet trying. It was so hard to control.

You are not dreaming, I played and loved it.

I will join in the quest, now that I know it really exists.
    Dezbaz

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information