Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 16: Call for Ideas

If they do get nominated, have fun trying to simulate the pitch and roll controls using a keyboard and or joystick.:)

These would be not be accepted in nominations because of their control format, same reason Robotron, Battlezone, or any spinner games have been kicked from nominations in the past.

Is there going to be a theme for this MGL ? IE see previous banners 'The Dirty Dozen' and 'Double Trouble' - the double format is something we have continued with since it's inception and I think that is a good format.

Why not kick off a nominations thread asap, and start in Early October? Then we can get it done before the silly season kicks in. Speaking as someone with a partner and kids to keep happy, I would be happy to see it done and dusted by the first week of December :)

Cheers

I like the rule that has always been in place about no noms for games that were in the previous MGL but I'm not keen on ruling out all games ever played before. I haven't been playing since MGL 1 and I'd still like to see a game like Pac Man have a chance of coming up. Even if it has been played before.

There always seems to be enough variety anyway. Some obscure ones get chosen each time which is good but we shouldn't force ourselves into playing only games nobody's ever heard of. A lot of games never took off because they suck and I don't want to rule out all the awesome classics just because they came up a few years ago.

I see your point ED_209 and agree, but I would like to see the never played before rule for just this MGL, and one NOM each only for this MGL, then back to normal. Now that MGLs are shorter and more often I think this would be fine, you could still nom pacman next time. With one nom each hopefully everyone will know at least one game that has never been played in an MGL that doesn't suck :)

Why not kick off a nominations thread asap, and start in Early October? Then we can get it done before the silly season kicks in. Speaking as someone with a partner and kids to keep happy, I would be happy to see it done and dusted by the first week of December :)

We need consensus on what is going to be allowed to be nominated, so we'll give it until Sunday and then I'll start the nominations thread if everyone is happy.

At this stage I think we have: Only games that have never been played before as a one off trial - let me know if you want this yes or no so that we can start the nominations on Sunday evening. Speak up before Sunday everyone or you'll forfeit your right to have a say about this.

Also, let me know about the following:

Start Date:

We can either kick off on Sunday 30th - Finish Dec 2nd - but this only leaves 1 week for nominations

Start Sunday 7th - Finish Dec 9th

Start Sunday 14th - Finish Dec 16th

Start Sunday 21st - Finish Dec 23rd

No. of Nominations:

We still good with 5 each max?

DIP Settings:

No mention of this, so will I assume we are all happy with default DIPs again?

I vote for Sun 14th to 16th...but it doesn't really matter I always run out of time.

If we go for never played before just for a one off then I think we should have only one nom each, if people try to nom 5 games that have never been played in MGL we are sure to get some real crap.

Dips = default.

My preferences:

Noms: anything but games from MGL 15

Start date: 7th Oct (I wanna start playing!)

No of noms: I'm fine with 3 but don't mind 5 if people want a wider pool

DIP settings: Definitely TG! They're usually the same and I love it when the WRs fall in the comp.

My preferences:

-Start earlier the better

-default dips

-3 nominations

-rob gets kneecapped, fingernailed, and keelhauled

-No nominations accepted from any previous MGL (or compromises 8-15) for this MGL only IE, this comp would be a one-off (why not?)

I am happy to help compiling lists of what has been played... but as Foot already pointed out, the MGL high score list already contains most games.

I'm on 5 weeks holidays from October 2nd, so timing is sweeeeeet :D

• Super Moderator

Just nominate Puckman :)

Kick off whenever, doesn't bother me.

MAME defaults this time

Run a short 3 week comp at at Christmas for the die hards with TG dips

I see your point ED_209 and agree, but I would like to see the never played before rule for just this MGL, and one NOM each only for this MGL, then back to normal. Now that MGLs are shorter and more often I think this would be fine, you could still nom pacman next time. With one nom each hopefully everyone will know at least one game that has never been played in an MGL that doesn't suck :)

Everyone is silent on the matter for the last 24 hours :D

Okay, so what we have:

1. 3 nominations per player, nominations will be open tomorrow and close on Fri Oct 5

2. Mame defaults

3. No game played during MGL 8 thru 15 are eligible for nominations - This is one off for this MGL

4. We'll start on Sun Oct 7

5. Same 2 game staggered format

6. Has Daylight Saving started yet? If not, it will during the comp. All games will start and end at 7pm Brisbane time

7. Comments about Qld'ers being in the dark ages not having DLS will get you a 5 pt deduction for each infringement :P I want DLS here, but we'll save that discussion for another thread

Sounds good. I reckon a "Best of the Best" is a good idea for a future single MGL round too.

To those who are saying we might get cr@p games I reckon you are being too limited. Mame has say 6000 games, about half are mahjong and say another 1000 or so that don't meet MGL controls / scoring / style eligibility guidelines. Still leaves a heap of contenders, a lot that are good. I have about 200 in my list of "good" players and this is on a single joystick, two button cab. Most of these I've never seen in an arcade. To me, this is a benefit of MGL to introduce new, lessor know games - we all know about and played DK, Pacman, SI etc back in the day.