Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Alternatives to PC-based MAME setups

In another thread I started speculating how in the not-too-distant future, xxxx-in-1 boards and MAME PCs might (thankfully) be made redundant with small footprint android (or less likely, IOS based) devices that cost less than $100 and can output directly to cheap LCDs (through HDMI for example). MAME is already available on Android, although I'd love to see some better front-ends made available over time.

The trouble I've always had with PC-based MAME setups is the bloated windows setup that adds unnecessary overhead to the system requirements and boot up time, and makes it less attractive for use when building cabinets for the technologically challenged.

Here are some examples that these options are becoming more of a reality:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ak802-mini-android-4-0-network-media-player-w-wi-fi-hdmi-tf-usb-black-4gb-1gb-ddr-iii-143431

Android based mini PC

http://www.ozgameshop.com/mobile-device-cases/gametel-portable-games-controller-for-android-and-ios

I'm seriously tempted to splash out on the games controller, since its not much more than an ipac, and see how hackable it is. I have visions of a mini cocktail cabinet (or mini bartop) where you can drop a tablet. Yes, like the i-cade, but not locked to IOS and custom made!

Of course one of the down sides would be interfacing this modern technology (HDMI) to older CRT screens for that 'authentic feel' (HDMI>VGA>CGA?), but I doubt that is beyond the capabilities of many here, the point is i'm hoping for off-the-shelf solutions available in the near future.

Further proof of this subject is the Ouya console on kickstarter (search for the thread on it).

If that kicks off and costs $99 including a (hopefully hackable) controller, it'll make the perfect mame solution in no time, especially if someone can work out an easy composite-out hack. The more I think about that console the more I get excited about its possibilities.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Tapatalk 2

Not really a MAME replacement but still would be good for a cab maybe. There is a JAMMA version.

Uzebox

http://belogic.com/uzebox/index.asp

Game list

http://uzebox.org/wiki/index.php?title=Games_and_Demos

- - - Updated - - -

Also just saw this one. CX-01

http://dealsprime.com/cx-01-android-4-0-tv-box---cortex-a5-1-0ghz-wifi-hdmi-dongle-4gb.aspx

and this one

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/agora-smart-tv-hdmi-dongle/

Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs)

Its an ARM GNU/Linux box for $25 USD.

They are $38AUD, currently out of stock.

http://au.element14.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?id=2081185&Ntt=2081185

There is a bit of work to do because its an ARM processor. (Can't install windows on it).

Some guys have been working on a mame solution. There will be more.

http://blog.sheasilverman.com/?page_id=83

These things are small about the size of a credit card !

You could fit one inside a Joystick !

Cheers

OUYA will replace the PC for MAME I reckon.

I think its actually gonna shatter the games industry... hope it does!

Id recommend getting a JTAG/RGH if u can on the cheap for a MAME setup,

its my preferred choice for a cab. ive always preferred Final Burn Alpha over MAME.

• 2 weeks later...

CPU grunt and unrequired components are issues with smaller android based devices. Sure you might get some low spec games working but that's about it.

(Most of the small devices have GPS, Wifi, Gyro sensors. etc.).

>>>> The trouble I've always had with PC-based MAME setups is the bloated windows setup that adds unnecessary overhead to the system requirements and boot up time..................

Then don't use "Windows". Use a lean clean cutdown version of Linux. It's faster, smaller and provides a better mame running platform.

ie. You can fit all the games you could want AND the operating system (eg Arch Linux) on a 8bg SSD. It's one step away from an embedded system.

*Note* GFX drivers (Open Versions) that come with Linux are now fast enough (2d accel) to run Mame perfectly fine. (You don't even have to install dedicated video drivers). This now means you can install your system on a SSD and move it round to differnt PC's (With different video cards) and it will still work 100%

ATB

Michael

C

>>>> The trouble I've always had with PC-based MAME setups is the bloated windows setup that adds unnecessary overhead to the system requirements and boot up time..................

Then don't use "Windows". Use a lean clean cutdown version of Linux. It's faster, smaller and provides a better mame running platform.

ie. You can fit all the games you could want AND the operating system (eg Arch Linux) on a 8bg SSD. It's one step away from an embedded system.

*Note* GFX drivers (Open Versions) that come with Linux are now fast enough (2d accel) to run Mame perfectly fine. (You don't even have to install dedicated video drivers). This now means you can install your system on a SSD and move it round to differnt PC's (With different video cards) and it will still work 100%

ATB

Michael

That all sounds great, but I think the appeal of android or even some of the console-based emulation platforms is the relative ease of use. I've no doubt Linux can run a lean MAME setup, but I haven't seen an 'unzip and go' package for a barebones Linux install that includes a half decent front end, the emulator (MAME), and all you need to do is drop rom files in a directory to maintain it. This would surely be a more reliable and maintainable solution than xxxx-in-1 boards, and less bloated/volatile than Windows based Mame cabs?

Maybe its just chicken and the egg situation... I'm convinced there's more development on 'easy to use packages' for common platforms like consoles and (in future) Android, whereas with Linux I don't think there is enough demand for anyone to bother with a one-stop-shop solution like CoinOps, for example.

I'm not sure using android would be any easier to use. Who would make a droid specific distro? I'd imagine that would be harder than making a linux distro.

If your talking standard android (With all the overhead of unneeded processes in the background) then you can do that now, As Mame is available for droid.

ie. Just to muck around and play some games, Then the current offerings on Droid are more than adequate to PLAY (lowspec) games on a Mini or Bartop.

However as OP said, Frontend's are lacking. Then you have to look at dedicated input control (Like ipac) as well.

Automated & Easy to use (AND UP TO DATE) Linux setups are lacking, However there are plenty of examples on how to do it.

Arch linux Wiki is excellent if your using Arch. And shows how to autologin, setup X, Set Powerbutton to shutdown etc.

And perhaps this is a good thing? Because if you really want to setup a Cabinet, Then you should really know what your doing - With every piece of the system.

So in summary:

Android based system would be fine for a Mini or Bartop setup.

But for a dedicated cabinet where higher quality is expected, I don't think android would be well suited.

ATB

Michael.

Edited by ozfalcon
Fix up bad post

• 2 weeks later...

Im in the process of building a Dingoo based micro bartop at the moment as an alternative to PC based mame. Running Dingux (Linux) and outputting to really cheap barebones 8" 4:3 LCD screen. Controls are to be hacked directly from the dingoo PCB. Legacy dingux has problems with TV out so I have installed Open dingux which has good TV out support for my LCD. Just waiting for the OpenDingux port of Mame4all which is currently in the works.

As the dingoo is low on CPU oooomph and available RAM, it will only run classic 80s games but thats cool with me.

All ply parts are cut out, control panel is made and just waiting for the screen to arrive as we speak so I can fit everything out!

Thats a really clever idea Galaga666! So simple, yet it never occurred to me!

I have a tiny LCD this kind of thing would be perfect for... a tiny little CPU capable of running a huge variety of emulators, and TV-out is sorted out of the box. I agree its only good for the classic 80s games but so are the 60-in-1s.

This is good motiviation for me to get a 'spare' Dingo right there! Question though, whats the main (compelling) reason for bothering with Dingux... the native OS seems to run most of the console stuff pretty well? (must admit I haven't tried much MAME on it).

I used the dingoo coz I had one laying around. I have a G-wiz that runs mame more efficiently and quicker but I dont want to hack it. The dingoo was cheap and it runs a whole bunch of emulators as you say. Very simple to convert. Over the next week I will start to assemble the components and I will post up the results. I had better results with dingux running more games on mame4all thats all.

While looking around the web I saw a 12" working star wars cab with a working analogue control yolk that is based on a Caanoo. Awesome stuff. A quick search online will yield details if you are interested.

I think I'm going to try an ODROID-X from http://www.hardkernel.com . I would be very interested to see what others think of the potenital of this particular board.

It uses the same Exynos quad core chip as the Galaxy S3 and can run both droid and Linux 12.04. Truthfully, I'm a n00b to both OS's but I reckon it will be fun to work out and the board offers a fair bit of power along with a few options to try and get it working. I want to build a control panel type box that you can just plug in some power and HDMI it to a big screen. I have a projector hooked into an AV receiver that I'd love to try MAME on.