Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Installing a 48 in 1 Multi Board into Wonder Boy cocktail cabinet: NEWBIE HELP!!

eyeglaze

Question

Hi everyone,

I'm sure the solution to this is very simple but I've had no luck finding an answer.

I have a cocktail cabinet with a fully working bootleg Wonder Boy PCB installed in it.

I purchased a 48 in 1 MB and was told I'd just need to plug it into the existing Jamma harness, rotate the monitor for vertical play, and it should work perfectly. Alas I have had no such luck.

Could anyone please advise me on what I might be doing wrong? Please find below a picture of the existing Wonder Boy PCB to Jamma harness connection if that is any help.

Cheers!

IMG_2075.thumb.jpg.e503804fc9c18a68e32a75da5402d5db.jpgIMG_2072.thumb.jpg.da9f51d9bb55bd46be9ca29b93a97685.jpg

16 answers to this question

Need more details. What happens when you power the machine up with the board plugged into the JAMMA harness? Does the screen display any image at all? Or does it just do nothing and stay black?

Also, JAMMA harnesses only plug in one way. Did you plug it in with the correct side facing upwards? It might have a label on it that says 'Parts" on it. If it does, the parts side needs to be on the same side as all the chips on the board.

Need more details. What happens when you power the machine up with the board plugged into the JAMMA harness? Does the screen display any image at all? Or does it just do nothing and stay black?

Also, JAMMA harnesses only plug in one way. Did you plug it in with the correct side facing upwards? It might have a label on it that says 'Parts" on it. If it does, the parts side needs to be on the same side as all the chips on the board.

Cheers for the quick response. Haven't tried it for a while but from what I can remember the screen stays black but I could also see what appears to be dark wavy lines running down the screen. I will run this test tonight and confirm results back to you.

As for plugging in the Jamma harness correctly, yes, I believe I am doing it right. Will provide photos for further reference.

Anything else you need to know? Wonder Boy starts up and runs perfectly.

You'll see your 60-1 has a 'key' (the slot on the edge connector). Make sure that is the right way around.

So looking at your pic: Black Black (GND), RED RED (5v), ? (-5v), Orange(12v) then the key :)

Can you take a photo of the edge connector that's in focus please? In particular the video section which which is the purple, yellow/green after the red wires (speaker)

:)

are the dips on the 48/1 board set correct?. One of them is for cga/vga

Yes, I'm 100% sure I have the dips set correctly.

Thanks for the response. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

You'll see your 60-1 has a 'key' (the slot on the edge connector). Make sure that is the right way around.

So looking at your pic: Black Black (GND), RED RED (5v), ? (-5v), Orange(12v) then the key :)

Can you take a photo of the edge connector that's in focus please? In particular the video section which which is the purple, yellow/green after the red wires (speaker)

:)

Sure, I will take a clear pic and post tonight. Thanks for the response.

Yeah it could be low voltage to the board as well. I had nightmares with one of those boards a while back. Turned out the gauge wire wasn't thick enough to carry a decent amount of current. I was going postal trying to figure out what was going on!

Did the led's lite & flash on the Jamma PCB when you attempted a boot up and if so what colour were the led's?

+1 The leds need to flash or it is cactus..if they are i would be checking you have the sync and video ground the correct way around..

Thanks for the hints/ suggestions/ questions/ photo requests everyone. What an an awesome community this is!

So here's the run down. For your reading pleasure the hints/ suggestions/ questions/ photo requests are in bold. My response is not.

If by going what you guys have posted, my 48 in 1 board is toast. :(

Stays black. Some flutter on screen

Please refer to the photo set below. I believe the jamma harness is plugged in correctly.

Are the dips on the 48/1 board set correct?. One of them is for cga/vga

Screen Orientation (NORMAL): OFF

Display Mode (CGA): OFF

High Score Saver (DISABLED): OFF

System Mode (NORMAL): OFF

So looking at your pic: Black Black (GND), RED RED (5v), ? (-5v), Orange(12v) then the key

Thanks. Its hard to tell but it looks to be missing the SYNC wire in the video section. A better pic will help

Do the photos below help with this answer? My apologies, I am totally not an electronics wiz! I understand the simple concept of voltage supply but other than that I'm screwed for knowledge in that field. Any help would be appreciated.

Did the led's lite & flash on the Jamma PCB when you attempted a boot up and if so what colour were the led's?

No flash LED1: Red LED2: Orange LED3: Orange

Yeah it could be low voltage to the board as well. I had nightmares with one of those boards a while back. Turned out the gauge wire wasn't thick enough to carry a decent amount of current. I was going postal trying to figure out what was going on!

Try being as clueless as me!! :D

I'm just hoping the 5 & 12 volt connections haven't been reversed...

Are we talking Mortal Kombat style fatality? :(

+1 The leds need to flash or it is cactus..if they are i would be checking you have the sync and video ground the correct way around..

THERE IS NO FLASHING LEDS... And possibly no god. Just one solid red and two solid orange. All I want to do is play a ridiculous amount of Galaga and 1942 on it!

So there you go folks. I appreciate your help but according to the AA community, my 48 in 1 is toast. Thoughts?IMG_2324.thumb.jpg.9ba1bdf98b036c611e735395f2ddcfec.jpgIMG_2325.thumb.jpg.905a4b2c5605a5594e1acb99dc4728bf.jpgIMG_2326.thumb.jpg.d59e52deba789a19d425ffaa73e03daa.jpgIMG_2327.thumb.jpg.7d2f1c0dc367cd0b2d5b61a9be29e932.jpgIMG_2328.thumb.jpg.9406bd2869a0766b6d917bb842d77134.jpg