Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mame on Linux for Dummies

For the past 5 years Ive been working on building a mame cab. I got my first attempt around 75% done , which like most people was knocked together in my garage with a handful of tools and MDF.It was looking ok, but by chance at that time I landed a job programming CNC routers for a furniture company, which gave me the idea of starting over and drawing a new machine up in CAD , and machining it up out of laminated MDF.

I am once again at that 75% stage on MK II , and the results are looking pretty good. More on that when the project is complete ( hopefully before christmas ).

I have my control panel complete and working, and Gameex booting in shell mode . I started with a fresh install of XP , with as little as possible running in the background. The trouble is getting from boot up to the Gameex screen is really slow. I cant remember off hand the pc spec, it was a $100 ex office job off ebay, I think the processer is in the 2-3ghz range, no dedicated graphics and maybe 256mb ram.

While I am aware that runnig Linux with mame is a better way of doing things, I have zero Linux experience. I'm reasonably proficient with Windows based pc's , I'm just wondering how much of a learning curve there is doing all this with Linux.

Here's my main concerns. I'm assuming Linux uses the same sort of system as windows in that you need drivers to get everything on the PC running , and if so where do you get the driver software ? I would still like a front end to open automaticaly on start up, with some sort of support for LED's, as I have LEDWIZ on my control panel.

Ive other considerations but these are my main ones.

Any help greatly appreciated !

Installing Linux these days is about as easy as installing windows, very rarely will you need to track down a specific driver, except for 3D video cards which you may not need. Tho XP on a machine with only 256 MB is guaranteed to make it run like an absolute dog. It really needs 512MB to behave, and a 1GB is even better, beyond that it wont have any effect.

Have never played with MAME on Linux tho so I'll leave that to the other folk.

You don't still have access to CNC woodcutting gear do you, am trying to avoid making 4 small panels for a cab restore that has been parked for 18 months :)

Hi Womble

It juist so happens I am typing this up on the very same pc thats controlling $250,000 worth of router thats whizzing around in front of me !

Would be glad to help, I managed to do some work for someone on here who was doing a cab reno.

Send me a message

• Administrators

Your problem is the ram.

XP really struggles with 256meg ram. Better to have 512 as a minimum or a gig (recommended and it'll fly. I have cabs running on Athlon 2 Gig XP processors with 750meg ram no issues.

Brad

XP you want a minumium of 1 gig, preferabley 2 gig ram

and if you use Ubuntu Linux and many other linux o/s they have device drivers built in to them for many devices out of the box.

windows and linux is like chalk and cheese

I have just finished setting up a linux based mame system.

It boots to AdvanceMenu in about 15~20 seconds. And plays games flawlessly.

I can only help you with a LCD setup though. If you want to use a CRT, then I think groovymame is the way to go....?

I can guide you through setup if you want. Expect it to take a while as you learn to use linux.

(It's not really very hard - Once you know what to do - But it is ALL text based setup)

As far as PC setup goes, You want this as Min spec for a Linux Mame system.

2.8~3 ghz cpu (Dual core would be nice - But single core should be fine for most things).

1gb+ of ram. It is highly recommended to have 1gb of ram. (We may also need 2gb swap disk IF we only have 1gb of ram).

16~32gb SSD. The Linux system itself only takes ~2gb (Allocate 5gb) + 2gb for swap. The rest can be used for roms etc.

A 16gb SSD only costs $30 on ebay. Though I recommend a 32gb one with both USB and SATA connections. I use kingspec without any problems.

Mame should run perfectly fine on the included (open) video drivers. It does not require 3D - So the proprietary drivers are not needed.

Thanks for that. Just checked the innards of the PC ,turns out it is 512mb ddr2. Once Gameex is up and running it seems ok , but I think I will invest in something with a bit more grunt.

Just out of interest I am going to partition a drive and try both a fresh windows and Linux install. Amazed you dont have to go driver hunting like you do with Windows, so definitely worth a look.

Hoping to get a wriggle on this weekend on the cab, pictures when its done !

Womble remember and let me know what you need done I'm sure I'll be able to help. I notice your in Melbourne, I work in Brooklyn if thats anywhere near you.

Gary

Womble remember and let me know what you need done I'm sure I'll be able to help. I notice your in Melbourne, I work in Brooklyn if thats anywhere near you.

That is pretty close actually, am in Newport so a few Ks down Millers Road, wouldnt mind seeing a giant CNC in action if possible :)

I will measure up the bits I need and drop you a PM to see if you can help, basically I need the tanktrack edge panels on the base of my Vindicators cabinet cut and grooved for T moulding.

http://www.classicarcaderesource.com/Vidicators.JPG

I fixed the board fault within a week of getting the cabinet, the woodwork section has been parked in the garage for 18 months now :( Woodwork doesn't seem to be my thing

The original panels were water damaged beyond repair.

That is pretty close actually, am in Newport so a few Ks down Millers Road, wouldnt mind seeing a giant CNC in action if possible :)

I will measure up the bits I need and drop you a PM to see if you can help, basically I need the tanktrack edge panels on the base of my Vindicators cabinet cut and grooved for T moulding.

http://www.classicarcaderesource.com/Vidicators.JPG

I fixed the board fault within a week of getting the cabinet, the woodwork section has been parked in the garage for 18 months now :( Woodwork doesn't seem to be my thing

The original panels were water damaged beyond repair.

That's simple enough to do, is it your intention to remove the old ones, or to keep them on with the new panel covering ? If your removing the original panel you could give it to me and I will return it with two new ones exact match. As a rule we no longer do T moulding but I've still got the tooling for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD