Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

XBOX original needs repair

Hi,

I have an old original XBOX that I believe has a dead laser - won't read discs.

I have had some trouble finding as shop that still works on these consoles.

Can anybody suggest a reputable shop. I am in QLD but don't mind sending the console interstate if it means dealing with a good person.

Many thanks.

What sort of discs are you having trouble with , originals or copies ? .

Some don't like certain +R or -R , CD's etc . If its originals you could try and clean it with a disc laser cleaner the one with the little brush on the disc . Or open it up and carefully clean the laser , this has fixed a few troublesome ones for me .

If you can still buy a laser you will need to know what model you have or as said just swap it out for another as they are cheap as chips .

(If you have a chipped Xbox)

With Original model Xbox's you can just swap the DVD drive over with a working drive.

Find another cheap Xbox and swap drives or look on ebay as there is normally a few drives for sale.

(If not chipped)

Just pickup a cheap replacement that has a working DVD drive.

I've got a chipped Xbox with a dead drive, didn't know that I could just swap it over with a generic one. Wouldn't things get messy trying to deal with the door mechanism though?

I've never bothered trying to get it repaired as I mainly use it for homebrew which is installed on the HD.

Thankyou for your replies guys. Very informative and helpful!

My XBOX is 100% original.

There are some other factors to consider with my prospective repair -

1. I have no tech abilities at all. I am a butter fingers and have no business opening up a console.

2. I have some treasured save game files on the harddrive that I want to keep.

I literally want to kind of recondition my current console and bring it back from the dead.

I will in future buy a fully modded unit but this one I just want fixed and reconditioned nothing more.

Any ideas? Thankyou in advance.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

What sort of discs are you having trouble with , originals or copies ? .

Some don't like certain +R or -R , CD's etc . If its originals you could try and clean it with a disc laser cleaner the one with the little brush on the disc . Or open it up and carefully clean the laser , this has fixed a few troublesome ones for me .

If you can still buy a laser you will need to know what model you have or as said just swap it out for another as they are cheap as chips .

I have tried laser cleaners on my old girl but to no avail. Thankyou for the reply.

Just buy another xbox (cheap) with a working DVD drive and see if there is somebody local that can swap it over and then you will still have you save data on the HDD.

PS: Sorry should have made it clearer before saying a working Xbox DVD drive.

PS: Frank let me know what is wrong with the drive in a pm or FB.

With an original xbox it doesnt matter if its chipped or not when changing the dvd drive as its not locked to the motherboard like a 360 drive is.

Only the hard drive is locked and swapping dvd drives is dead easy in the original system .

Anyone with a torx screw set can open and change the drive with as much skill as it takes to swap out a drive in a pc system .

That's fine. Just not sure if the postage and then ye repair cost would be worth it. Once I get it I can open the unit to see what drive is installed and get a replacement laser for the console. I think I have a new Thompson DVD laser replacement.

While I have it I can install a modchip if it doesn't have one already

That's fine. Just not sure if the postage and then ye repair cost would be worth it. Once I get it I can open the unit to see what drive is installed and get a replacement laser for the console. I think I have a new Thompson DVD laser replacement.

While I have it I can install a modchip if it doesn't have one already

Thanks for your help.

Yeah a modchip would be great too. I will send you a PM.