Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 15: Game 1 New Rally-X [COMPLETED]

Hardly played NRX for the last week, this was more arse than class. If you knock off my score I won't do any better before tomorrow night.

Doing better than me, I had my first game of nrallyx on Wednesday ;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ED_209_rallyx_150390.jpg.2489a4254c87ffde81c4e55130f9813a.jpg

Only just realised last night that I've been playing Rally X instead of New Rally X. :lol

I guess this means my previous score post is invalid. Luckily it turns out that New Rally X is heaps easier so I've been able to triple what I was getting before. This version of the game is much more enjoyable. Rally X is quite similar but you get chased by four cars right from the start, there's no flashing dot to indicate the special and for some reason the challenging stage is called "charenging stage". I guess it was deveoped by an Engrish speaker. :lol

sat down for one more try just now and cracked a PB :cool: getting stupid hard by Level 17, which I have never seen before. Fuel a major issue.

The tune is so jolly though. I had everyone in my house humming and singing it. The girls were dancing to it at one point :lol

yowza.jpg.c3f7184dfaba91450d4f82d62847640e.jpg

Was wondering if you were having any more games..... damn it, knocked me out of 2nd place :realmad:

Just over 1hr to go guys.

Shower time for me, and then one last effort to get my 2nd place back, but I don't like my chances :rolleyes

I like this game, but it seems you need a succession of good or lucky layouts to get big scores? Maybe everybody is having a last minute lunge but ...

There's 10 flags per round worth 100, 200, 300 etc up to 1000. Now if you get the flashing S flag first you get 2x each flag value so that's a max of 11,000 per round but in later boards it's hard enough to stay alive let alone get the S flag first. In bonus boards you can 'always' get the full double bonus. You get the L flag and seem to pick up a few thousand typically and then the remaining fuel is awarded but this is not much in later rounds. So it seems to me you can get to the end of the first bonus board with about 40k but after this it's a fair bit of luck.

As an example in post #80 azahoth got 169k dying on round 13 and in the previous post I got 138k on the same round - looks like we each had a similar number of flags left on the round when we crashed out and I recall thinking after my game I got lucky with the layouts.

Is it luck, my lack of skill, or am I missing something?

There is definitely a bit of luck in flag placement IMO.

Firstly, as you said, getting the S flag first is essential in the early rounds.

Secondly, make sure you do not get the L flag last as you will get zero bonus points.

For the first couple of rounds, I average between 13,000 & 14,000 pts.

After that, I just try to knock off the flags as quickly as possible and in the safest order - if this means leaving the S flag to later on or getting the L flag last then so be it.

I also don't use the smoke screen too much, pretty much not at all for screen 1 & 2. Later stages, you can only really use it once or twice without putting your fuel supply at risk.

Yep dont know if this is the best technique as I'm well behind the leaders but I pretty much always get the S flag first, only once I've lost a few men will I even start picking up other flags as I pass them going for the S flag. The only real exception is the fuel flag (I thought that was extra fuel to start with before I realised it was just a points bonus) that I grab anytime I see it.

The biggest thing with improving scores for me is remembering the stages particularly where the dead end rooms are and with those I'll usually try to leave them till last so I don't have to try get out again if the other cars are close.

In the last few rounds I dont mind using the smoke once I've got the S flag, if it lets me get a few more double points and clear enough that it's an easy run and I only lose one man on the stage it's well worth it imo.

I ended beating my last MGL score at least, by about 10k (and on easier settings) <_< Good game and like has been said nice music that's not anywhere near as annoying as some of the other games from around the same time.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac170/games76/NRX-191420.png

0011.png.f72fd10dcbc525f11330347e663f1d8f.png

Only stumbled across this just this arvo, best I could manage on the keyboard. Will have to get mame up and running in a cabinet so its a bit easier with a joystick.

Final Standings

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Rank

[/TD]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]Score

[/TD]

[TD]MGL Points

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]RMacauley[/TD]

[TD]254,860[/TD]

[TD]25 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/goldmedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]Jammasized[/TD]

[TD]238,960[/TD]

[TD]20 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/silvermedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]John73[/TD]

[TD]216,250[/TD]

[TD]16 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/bronzemedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]Taverner[/TD]

[TD]191,420[/TD]

[TD]13[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]Brad[/TD]

[TD]183,480[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]Foot[/TD]

[TD]175,120[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]Spartan[/TD]

[TD]173,350[/TD]

[TD]9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]azathoth[/TD]

[TD]168,770[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]9[/TD]

[TD]Nicko71[/TD]

[TD]167,040[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]DKong[/TD]

[TD]155,180[/TD]

[TD]6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]ED_209[/TD]

[TD]150,390[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]12[/TD]

[TD]Kane[/TD]

[TD]147,870[/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]13[/TD]

[TD]Rat[/TD]

[TD]140,730[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]14[/TD]

[TD]Fire_Power[/TD]

[TD]138,360[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]15[/TD]

[TD]SectionZ[/TD]

[TD]95,290[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]16[/TD]

[TD]Pash[/TD]

[TD]92,260[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]17[/TD]

[TD]necroscope[/TD]

[TD]46,410[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Congrats to Rob who takes out yet another MGL.

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread for anyone that might be interested in this:

I made mention in an early page of a game called Radar Rat Race on the Vic-20 which was similar to this game, well a complete rip off of this game to be exact. Long story short, I sold my Vic-20 on the weekend to rusty_dagger , not only was he able to get the old original Vic working (after replacing a $2 fuse), Radar Rat Race on cartridge still works :) Rusty was kind enough to take a video of the game running and post it on YouTube, for those that missed the thread in the "For Sale - Console" forum, here is the video: