Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Is it rude to hang up on tele marketers?

Had a bloke ring me hi how are you, good thanks, that sounds great, my name is George, just ringing to tell you, you have been selected for a holiday for 14 days worth....click.......my wife looks at me, thats so rude, you could at least say im not interested thank you. Well raises the question doesn't it. Is it rude to hang up like that, probably, but i don't want to be hassled in my own home. I wasn't abusive, just hang up.

What do you think?

It's rude but sometimes necessary. Telemarketers are trained to not accept a 'no' or 'not interested' etc and will keep pushing until you abuse them or hang up, and I think hanging up is less rude than abusing them.

We used to get 2 calls a day every day at work, web sites, phone deals, free trips, free wine, free accomodation etc, since we have been telling them to F!@# off, it has dropped to 1 or 2 calls a week, I think if you are consistant they get the message :D, plus it feels good with all the stress of work to vent on someone you dont know :laugh:.

It's no ruder than slamming the door in the face of "god botherer's" on a Saturday morning. I reckon they live for it.

Last time we got a telemarketer call my wife tells them that this is a police protected number and the call is being traced, suddenly theres nothing but ring tone on the other end, I don't think we've had a call since.

Ask yourself - "Is it rude for telemarketers to call you unsolicited?" - YES, of course it is and so you did the right thing, it is NOT rude to hang up on them!

I often tell people who constantly ask for my phone number that "I have a phone for MY convenience - it is so I can make a call IF I wish - I do NOT have a phone so anyone can ring me when it suits THEM - here is my email address, send a message but DON'T RING ME!:

But then, I'm a cranky, rude bastard,,,,,:lol

I like to think that they must get sick of constantly ringing people who only hang up on them so i figure im throwing them a bone by livening up their day with an unhinged, screaming, psychotic, barely intelligable rant at the top of my lungs.......

On a similar note I love to get the door knockers on the back foot by answering the door with "Aha! You have finally arrived....we knew you would be here....please do come in so that my bretheren may begin the ritual!"

Actually prob not that different to how they think about it! :lol

when the telemarketers call, let them talk a bit and say,

oh hang on a minute i hear my baby starting to wake up

put the phone down, dont hang up, and carry on life as normal, feel free to come back to the phone in about half an hour and say

oh sorry about that, now what were you saying

let them speak for about 10- 15 seconds and then do the same thing again. you usually have to do it 2 or 3 times and then they eventually hang up.:lol:lol

I've cut the problem by more than 50% by telling them when they ring for my wife I tell them she walked out and left me with huge bills and I don't know where she is and to let me know when they find her 'cause she's in debt. Don't seem to get as many calls now and the missus has a chuckle every time she hears me say it to them:laugh:

Handing off the phone to a talkative child is a good one.

I like to find out what they are selling then swear black and blue it doesn't apply to me. I had a good argument with one last week about a phone service. "I live in a rural area mate, I don't have a phone services available in my area"

a little OT

I had this occur 25 years ago (telemarketers weren't as bad then) I didn't believe I won a trip I was waiting for you just need to buy this new house or something. So it took the lady 20 minutes to convince me I had a trip to Cairns all paid for and had to spend nothing :)

It was an absolute nightmare at two of my last places. Brand new phone number and they would call at all times of day or night. A lot of them scam calls from India etc as well.

Given we had a newborn, my tolerance and patience was not at an all time high. One of them swore he was from Telstra and kept telling my name was Mr provan or something like that, when I told him it wasn't he called me a liar hahaha, in the end I recorded all times of the calls and reported them to telstra, if you have enough calls in a 72 hour period they start taking action. Eventually it petered out to about 1 or 2 a day after I would just say hello, as soon as i heard them utter a word I would say not interested go away and hang up.

Haven't had the issue on my current number thankfully

I normally hangup before they even start talking. There is always a few seconds delay from when you pickup till they connect and start talking, so if I pick up a call with a long delay I just hang up. I belive they use computer dialing systems and hence the delay?

I just cut them off straight away with "Sorry, not interested, thankyou" and hang up straight away. No point engaging them as they are trained to just keep going like a bulldozer and my personal view is that I'm not prepared to spend (waste) more than a few seconds of my life on them. Other people have nastier ways like blowing a whistle at full blast down the phone. Personally I think abusing them, injuring their eardrums is a little over the top - sure they chose that profession but no-one deserves verbal abuse or similar when doing their job. It's just as easy to simply hang up. Anyway it's never been an issue for me since I signed us up here: https://www.donotcall.gov.au/ Suggest anyone who doesn't like being harrassed does so.

My sister used to have a sign on her front door saying "STOP! If you are here to try and sell me something, convert me, change my phone/electricity/internet plan or similar then GO AWAY, I am NOT INTERSTED and if you proceed to knock I will be rude to you". I thought that was pretty clever - she never got doorknockers again :)

I love not having a home phone in my house. Never get telemarketers calling my mobile :D

The only thing I have to deal with are those Charity reps around shopping centers that always want to talk to you....

I normally hangup before they even start talking. There is always a few seconds delay from when you pickup till they connect and start talking, so if I pick up a call with a long delay I just hang up. I belive they use computer dialing systems and hence the delay?

Nup - the delay is an overseas call...any local calling will have no delay - got nothing to do with Auto dialing.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

I love not having a home phone in my house. Never get telemarketers calling my mobile :D

The only thing I have to deal with are those Charity reps around shopping centers that always want to talk to you....

I shit you not Jack - I received one on my mobile on my ****ing birthday last week of all days....Huge delay - guy could barely speak engarrrish....haha - just said, dude, really? its my birthday - **** off.

they really try their luck sometimes.