1150 Post(s)

well for my cocktail, hankin will be first choice, and lai a close second

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    Every games room should have a Hankin I'm still spewing I sold my second one.

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcade King View Post
    Wow must be just me but I don't think the LAI cab looks that bad Other than some extra artwork and a bigger control panel whats the difference? Does the game play different? did it use a different board set?...no
    Must be a case of American Idol
    Its the whole experience, King, the american cab just looks amazing, and i remember actually playing these in the arcades. They did bring these out to certain parts, i was living in geelong at the time. The local arcades had these american mortal kombats, and i remember of dreaming to always own one

State
    melbourne
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)
    Find me an LAI equivalent that looks as good as these original's and I'll eat my left testicle.

Like I said, super strong but ugly as F*#K

State
    romsey vic
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    274 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blontic View Post
    There is a special place in my heart for LAI cabs. Maybe because I grew up playing them. Also I am still looking to buy one hint hint.
    I used to feel the same way till i read a lot of old copies of cashbox magazine,when you know just how many dirty tricks and legal cases to stop parrell imports ect they used to pull i dont think the same of them anymore.
    Wanted Taito or universal cabinet any condition dead or alive.

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by visy View Post
    Find me an LAI equivalent that looks as good as these original's and I'll eat my left testicle.

Like I said, super strong but ugly as F*#K
    You wont.
    I never said they looked as good, how could they? I just don't think they are as ugly as you say EG LAI Berzerk Artwork shits all over the ugly stern cab.
    Forgive me for having a little pride in our local Arcade industry, without company's like Hankin and LAI many of us wouldn't of had the privilege of playing many of these early 80's games.
    I feel very fortunate to have grown up in the 80's when golden age of Arcade was at its peak, hence the creation of AA and the yearning to collect Arcade machines.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Poorly made? I deliberately chose an LAI cocktail cabinet as it is built like a tank, heavy, and offers more space for MAME builds inside (compared to say a Hankin copy)

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1982 Post(s)
    LAI Coffin Cabs never did much for me.. Big, heavy and ugly. A shame, because a lot of the art was bang on.

LAI Targ is a nice cab I reckon..

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by general_grievous View Post
    case in point , here is an aussie built mk2, and an american 1. The american cabinet, looks amazing, and is far superior to the aussie rubbish Attachment 38920Attachment 38921

The american cab is first on the left, the aussie on the right
    Lets see what happens when the U.S gets wet or banged on or off the truck.. They swell and fall apart and nothing has changed.. Have a look at Extreme Hunting cabinets and other dedicated stuff out of America in recent years for example.. Crapo.. They need the extra artwork to hold them together..

I would prefer the aus built one anyday..

A tid bit... In the hight of Video games the L.A.I factory was running 3 - 8 hour shifts a day to keep up demand.. (Mid to late 80's).. I will see if i can get some figures on qnty of machines but thought the lowboy was 10,000 plus..

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    The american control panel is ridiculously huge on that MK. I prefer the LAI cab though im probably biased as i grew up playing Aussie made cabs in Timezone and Gottlieb/Midnight/Galaxy cabs in street locations and bowling alleys. I love the design of the LAI and Gottlieb lowboys and many of the generic Aussie made 26" cabs, especially the challenger 26" upright which is pretty well built! The american street fighter 2 cabs have nothing on the Aussie generic's and are a horrible design, glad we never saw them here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information