Thread: Kong Off 2012 - King of AA

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Thanks.

Yeah same dips. The other guy is just way better than I. Funnily enough, Pelly initially taught him how to play. Now he kicks both our asses.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    IMG_0455.jpgIMG_0458.jpg
    Another pb was hoping to break the 200k barrier but got donked on the head with a barrel

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1436 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=ting ting;641996]184,000
    IMG_0455.jpgIMG_0458.jpg
    Another pb was hoping to break the 200k barrier but got donked on the head with a barrel

Nice Marquee !

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2316 Post(s)

Nice battle going on for 2nd place, Kane has sorta cleared out for the moment in 1st place though

Bugger all time to play for me at the moment, working on a job application and resume which will be done by tomorrow night so I'll get stuck in this weekend. No work at all this weekend

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Had a few goes last night and got nowhere. Seems harder at the end of the day. And after two bottles of wine.

Just had a go now (with the right level of coffee in me and midday alertness) and got 209k. Just short of my score yesterday! While disappointing to not pass it, I am glad to match it so I feel like it wasn't just a huge fluke.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2316 Post(s)

Found time for two games tonight, both almost identical 120,000 scores.

I'll give it one more bash now, but I'm finding that playing at night I have way less patience and a way higher temper when things don't go right

The only benefit I've found so far tonight is that having a couple of drinks under the belt seems to help greatly with the timing on the L4+ elevators stages

State
    Point Cook
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    Just scored 120000 myself. Was having a killer game and then got screw on the barrel stageAttachment 38574

State
    Sydhey
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quoted
    914 Post(s)
    Hmmm, ok I've never played DK, so never knew what the fuss was all about - maybe my arcade days were a bit before it, but anyway I enjoy MGL, mostly because of the exposure to new games, so i thought I'd best give this a crack. Seriously impressed with the scores that are coming up - so far, after only a few games, my best is 15k, died on level 2 by falling through my removed rivets - so you could say I've got away to go I assume the whole idea is to point press? Am I missing something - why is it ok in this game, but generally frowned upon elsewhere? This is a purely innocent question - not stirring or having a shot at anyone.

State
    Tasfunkia
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    261 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Power View Post
    I assume the whole idea is to point press? Am I missing something -
    Id say most of the scores posted have pretty much no point pressing at all. Maybe only getting hammers, which is part of the game play.

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Power View Post
    Hmmm, ok I've never played DK, so never knew what the fuss was all about - maybe my arcade days were a bit before it, but anyway I enjoy MGL, mostly because of the exposure to new games, so i thought I'd best give this a crack. Seriously impressed with the scores that are coming up - so far, after only a few games, my best is 15k, died on level 2 by falling through my removed rivets - so you could say I've got away to go I assume the whole idea is to point press? Am I missing something - why is it ok in this game, but generally frowned upon elsewhere? This is a purely innocent question - not stirring or having a shot at anyone.
    Congrats on 15k off only a few games!

My arcade days were a bit later than DK. Hadn't really played it at all 'till a couple of years ago but after seeing The King of Kong thought I'd try. Had recently procured a nice retro cab running MAME (thanks Pelly) so I paused Double Dragon, Steetfighter 2, Golden Axe, Final Fight etc to give DK a bash.

WTF?! we couldn't pass the first level. Sure, blame the whiskey, whatever -it's a f#$*@n' hard game! The rivets will be the least of your troubles and then the most difficult again once you overcome the other crap.

As for point pressing, no need to bother - you can gain better, higher scores by just improving (I think). Point pressing seems to be more valuable if you could get past the kill screen and still want a WR. Totally agree with what you said about it being accepted in this game and nowhere else! Though this game does limit your opportunity to take advantage of it so maybe people don't feel as cheated.. ?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information