Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Fantasy World Candy Crane Burn

C_Mech

Question

Hey everyone. I haven't been around the forum for a while now I know. Life got a little bit insane. Lots of moving around at the arcade, plenty of stuff to fix and I even took an improv comedy class at the Upright Citizens Brigade in New York City! (Where I'm taking more in the next month or so)

After all that, no surprise, there's still so much to do!

Currently I'm having an issue with a candy style crane game. Here's what happened:

I come into work and everyone tells me one of our cranes (Fantasy World) started smoking and smelled awful (the solder or trace melting)

Needless to say, I was a little surprised. Sure, this crane had its problems now and then, the claw not going down all the way or closing all the way, but it usually stopped and didn't happen again for a while. Nothing like this though.

So I take a look at the main board and there's a solid black burn from a relay going to a capacitor. I thought it might be the motors and after taking a look at them saw that they were grinding the gears so hard that metal shavings were covering the motors. I chalked that up to just being used so much for so long.

So, I replace one of the motors (the left/right) and the main board first and turn the machine on. It starts to burn. I smell it almost immediately and turn the game off as fast as I can.

After that, my boss and I tested the connection from the main board to the motors (Mainly the up/down) looking for a short. We didn't find one. Now the new main board has a burn down the trace from the relay. Its in the exact same place.

Then I replaced the up/down motor. Now when I start the game up it shows E1 on its display which is an up/down motor error.

Anyone encounter this sort of thing with the main board burning like this?

Thanks all!

1 answer to this question

mate i do lots of skillys,got about 6 in the shop at the moment all for various faults along the line of your fault,biggest problem i come across are the cheap components used in all of these machines,you would have to go way back to the 80's to find a quality made machine,the lai unit was pretty much the last one,

first up everyone forgets to lube all the motor worm drives and meshing gears,usually made from some cheap brass like alloy hence the shavings,secondly,the relays used to control all motors and solenoid are under rated,they say 10amp but the contacts are usually very small compared to say a decent OMRON 10 amp.these relay contacts tend to overheat,start pitting,then get stuck as in always closed,this can cause motors to not shut off,claw solenoids to overheat and stay energised,all these thing end up causing more damage to the control relay board,so on and so on,

in short check all your relays and replace with quality OMRON'S for example,have a good look at the solenoid,check if it's been getting hot,may pay to replace if suspect,check your motors,depending on what type you have,they should draw approx. 2 to 3 amps if they ok,

sounds like you had a motor fault,caused a relay,or fault or visa versa, E1 usually means motor error,

if you have a bench power supply you can run the motors out of the machine and read what amperage they are drawing,you will keep taking out the relay board until you find the cause.see how you go