Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Wanted: CPS3 Battery Change

hey,

I've got a CPS3 cart I'd like to have the battery changed on. I'm not bad at electronics but this is a project I'm not willing to try.

I'd rather not do it via postage, I'm happy to drop off and pick up within 45minutes of Keilor.

If anyone is interested let me know your location and your price, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

At the time, this was the cheapest:

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cps-2-3-battery-replacement-cps2-batt.html

There are a few schools of thought into which method is best...

1. Helper battery (http://cps2shock.emu-france.info/cps3/)

2. Cart powered.

Which ever way you do it, make sure you walk through all the steps before attacking it as there are a couple of gotchas. One being some of the carts have wires on the back. Problem with this is the black wire is soldered to the negative of the original battery so you can't just desolder it off without killing the cart.

One other gotta is sometimes they used a battery which has tiny legs, so make sure you have small sidecutters if needed. Ive heard of people trying to pry it off with a screwdriver, a knife and even a drimel tool...which of course ended in tears.

One other thing is the battery. Most people will replace the battery with the exact one that was in there originally, Ive only seen 3v and 3.6v. I personally have only used the 3.6v (same as the cps2 battery) and haven't had a problem but others have reported that they used a 3.6v when the original was a 3v and the game eventually died like 2 weeks later. Hard to say if there is any truth in that but one theory could be that one of the revisions, probably a later one, has better detection of voltage fluctuation.

Personally, I use the cart powered method as I reckon its safer and had a better chance of success.

Good luck! :)

If its not 3s then I would encourage you to give it a go yourself. You said you know your way around a soldering iron... and its a reasonably cheap cart. At least if you do it once you can do all your carts from now on and don't have to rely on anyone.