Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Customised HDD image for xxxx-1 systems inc Laserdisc Games - anyone want one ?

Jed

Question

I've spent the last 4 years on and off customising and modding a basic 1000-1 gamebox system's HDD. (Games Family, Babystar, Gamebox, etc)

I added stuff like:

Ability to play Laserdisc Games (Dragon's Lair, Space Ace)

SNES

MP3 jukebox

and many other games inc decent vector support, high score save, etc etc

As well as all the usual favourite MAME games.

you'd need at least a P4 2Ghz chip in your gamebox to fully take advantage of this image and play the newer stuff like NBA Jam etc. Using Mamewah editor and Photoshop I've customised the Home Screen + graphics so it looks nicer than the standard xxxx-1 awful-coloured-crap home screen. I fixed the basic menu so it doesn't overlap the screen snaps, plus got rid of the hundreds of duplicate games and different languages etc.

I call the image 'Flynn's' - in homage to Flynns Arcade.

Edit March 2018 - I can't host the image any more on onedrive due to restrictions when I did. If your'e after this image post a request for anyone hosting the torrent, seeing as people are still after it I might see if I can do something at megaupload.

Edited by Jed

I am trying to finish off my download, but stuck at 96.6%.

Can somebody help seed the full file so I can finish the download.

Once I have 100% I will seed for a while and transfer to my seeding machine so will be available 24/7.

Hi All, new to this forum. Just got a cocktail cabinet from my wife for my birthday, but looking to update it so I can alter the favourites menu, and save high scores. I read through this whole thread, and it seems like a fantastic solution. I'm trying to torrent download "flynns-image-redux.tib" from the mediafire url posted earlier in the thread. Is this still an active torrent? I've had it trying to download for a day, but no one seeding at the moment. Anyone able to seed for me please?

Hey mate welcome to the site, congrats on your cocktail machine, apologies in advanced I'm not seeding as I am recovering all my data that has recently vanished. Been running data recovery for 5 days now.

Question your cabinet will either need a games family board or a baby star in order for it to work

Also this image is a .tib acronis file so Google acronis and download there free limited time version software

Hi All, new to this forum. Just got a cocktail cabinet from my wife for my birthday, but looking to update it so I can alter the favourites menu, and save high scores. I read through this whole thread, and it seems like a fantastic solution. I'm trying to torrent download "flynns-image-redux.tib" from the mediafire url posted earlier in the thread. Is this still an active torrent? I've had it trying to download for a day, but no one seeding at the moment. Anyone able to seed for me please?

Hey there, I'm the guy that made this image.

If you're looking simply to add high score saving and change the favorites, and you're confident enough with hardware, it may be a simpler process for you to remove the hdd and edit the files on your pc. I'm not sure this image will work in a cocktail machine, you won't get screen flipping etc, as this image is made for my 2p upright games family machine.

Cheers

J

Hi Jammasized, I pulled the IDE DOM that came with the console last week, and nearly bricked the thing trying to simply clone it (I was looking at the "how to modify your xxxx-in-1" doc written by MaNiAc-Uk in 2008, and I guess Selfimage is to old and doesn't like win8.1). Managed to resuscitate it (my wife didn't speak to me for a couple of days in the interim), so being more cautious now on tinkering. I bought another 16G DOM online, so waiting for it to come. I definitely want the screen flipping though, the old games like galaga are much better with the screen vertical than horizontal.

ArcadeObsessed, I think the cabinet is running a baby star (its a cocktail pro from mygamesroom.com.au).

I've tried to access the xxxx-in-1.com website, but it looks like the site is closed now. Anyone have good information on how to hack the baby star images to save game data and change menus (and maybe add a game or two like star wars, qbert, etc)?

another alternative would be to build my own MAME image on linux. any good resources that you know of on how to do that? I don't understand if there is anything special a pc needs to connect to the cabinet - I can't find any decent info on how the jamma board interfaces to aPC, or whether special drivers are needed, etc. Any resources you know of would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Jammasized, I pulled the IDE DOM that came with the console last week, and nearly bricked the thing trying to simply clone it (I was looking at the "how to modify your xxxx-in-1" doc written by MaNiAc-Uk in 2008, and I guess Selfimage is to old and doesn't like win8.1). Managed to resuscitate it (my wife didn't speak to me for a couple of days in the interim), so being more cautious now on tinkering. I bought another 16G DOM online, so waiting for it to come. I definitely want the screen flipping though, the old games like galaga are much better with the screen vertical than horizontal.

ArcadeObsessed, I think the cabinet is running a baby star (its a cocktail pro from mygamesroom.com.au).

I've tried to access the xxxx-in-1.com website, but it looks like the site is closed now. Anyone have good information on how to hack the baby star images to save game data and change menus (and maybe add a game or two like star wars, qbert, etc)?

another alternative would be to build my own MAME image on linux. any good resources that you know of on how to do that? I don't understand if there is anything special a pc needs to connect to the cabinet - I can't find any decent info on how the jamma board interfaces to aPC, or whether special drivers are needed, etc. Any resources you know of would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Yeah to be honest - these xxxx-1 systems are a lot of work to mod. I did mine slowly over a number of years starting in around 2009. Thatr guide you metnion by Maniac-UK is the very same guide that I used in the early days to get me started. When I first got my xxxx-1 I quickly found it was missing heaps of features I wanted and I found the xxxx-1 website and set about updating games, the interface, and so on, and that's how this image was born.

In the guide it should tell you how to add save high scores and also add games. Josh (Maniac-UK) has closed the xxx-1 site and not sure if it will reopen, he's pretty busy in his family business from what I understand but he's a great guy amnd helped me heaps in the early days. I'm pretty sure I still have a copy of his bible somewhere though if I can find it I will post a link here. Someone else might have it though, checkout the main arcade section too.

To be honest.... you would be better off in the long run converting your cocktail machine. Games Family is Jamma-ready so replacing the game box with a cheap mame PC and adding Jamma-PC hardware is pretty close to being pluig and play, someone on here muct have done it and could help. It would be a much better option than getting this image, as I mentioned I don't think it will work in cocktail machines properly, plus it is made for a horizontal display Upright 2P machine.

whatever you decide to do, good luck. And use Acronis Self-Image to clone your drive, it can deal with the multiple partitions a games family system has including the non-readable (but vital) partition that some disc imaging programs struggle with.

I wasted a year stuffing about with a cocktail xxxxin1 got it to run English XP and still hated it. Selling it to buy a Candy cab and setting up a mame pc in it was the best decision I ever made. Some enjoy modding, and I would also if the results were worthwhile, but I found after all the modding I did I still had a shitty xxxxin1, no fixing that.

seems openbittorrent tracker for this went down when TPB was taken down

ive added the following public tracker: udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80

I only know how to do this in utorrent go to tracker tab right click and choose add tracker, paste in the above & remove the old openbittorrent tracker

I will continue to seed evenings and weekends I hope others don't just hit and run, so far ive uped 113gb

cheers pete

I wasted a year stuffing about with a cocktail xxxxin1 got it to run English XP and still hated it. Selling it to buy a Candy cab and setting up a mame pc in it was the best decision I ever made. Some enjoy modding, and I would also if the results were worthwhile, but I found after all the modding I did I still had a shitty xxxxin1, no fixing that.

So I take it, it broke you then :lol

I have standard mame pc's with front ends, an XP Cocktail machine running MAximus Arcade (sweet) and I have a games family xxxx-1 in a real, non-plastic, solid wood gottlieb challenger cab (classic arcade shape) and the games family front end is very good when it's sorted, it's fast to load, hides windows out of the equation and it works perfectly. I love my 2P upright xxxx-1 and have played pretty much every MGL on it. No idea why you'd want XP on it though, that would only mean you'd run into a world of hurt with drivers and other issues. The system is made for Win2K so once you change that, you're going down a rabbit hole of fun and games :D

Hey there, I'm the guy that made this image.

If you're looking simply to add high score saving and change the favorites, and you're confident enough with hardware, it may be a simpler process for you to remove the hdd and edit the files on your pc. I'm not sure this image will work in a cocktail machine, you won't get screen flipping etc, as this image is made for my 2p upright games family machine.

Cheers

J

Hi Jammasized, are you able to provide any guidance on which files to edit to be able to save high scores?

Hi Jammasized, are you able to provide any guidance on which files to edit to be able to save high scores?

Yep I can, but it may take me a while to find my 'Bible' which was Josh's creation on how to mod the system. I haven't actually needed to mod mine for so long I've forgotten off the top of my head - with time off now I will have a poke about and see if I can find it.

For the others looking for a copy of the flynns image and can't torrent it at the moment, I am still prepared to provide copies if you send me a USB stick and a self addressed, postage paid return envelope. Anyone that wants to take that route, shoot me a PM.

Yep I can, but it may take me a while to find my 'Bible' which was Josh's creation on how to mod the system. I haven't actually needed to mod mine for so long I've forgotten off the top of my head - with time off now I will have a poke about and see if I can find it.

For the others looking for a copy of the flynns image and can't torrent it at the moment, I am still prepared to provide copies if you send me a USB stick and a self addressed, postage paid return envelope. Anyone that wants to take that route, shoot me a PM.

Sent you a pm :)

Ok this isn't in the Bible but from memory - To add high score saving, copy over a hiscore.dat file from any mame install, but also create a folder called 'hi' in the main mame directory. To find the main mame directories on the xxxx-1, use the link below, bearing in mind that for maximum compatibility with all mame games, the xxxx-1 system uses several different versions of mame, and uses scripting so that the system calls the best version of Mame for the game selected. So to add high score saving for all mame games, you have to add the file/folder to all versions of Mame on the system. (I think there is 3, from memory)

Ignore all the first bit in the bible about using Ghost and throwing dips etc. As the easiest by far is just remove the HDD, bung it in an IDE caddy, and use Acronis self Image to clone the whole drive retaining all three partitions.

I just did a quick google and here is a link to 'the Bible' http://www.oilmist.com/helpfile/xxxx-in-1-help-file.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Sent you a pm :)

Replied with address! I'll be off work until the 11th, going away on my bike the first week of the new year though so if you can get it to me before the New Year if possible, I should be able to shoot it straight back to you.