Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Customised HDD image for xxxx-1 systems inc Laserdisc Games - anyone want one ?

Jed

Question

I've spent the last 4 years on and off customising and modding a basic 1000-1 gamebox system's HDD. (Games Family, Babystar, Gamebox, etc)

I added stuff like:

Ability to play Laserdisc Games (Dragon's Lair, Space Ace)

SNES

MP3 jukebox

and many other games inc decent vector support, high score save, etc etc

As well as all the usual favourite MAME games.

you'd need at least a P4 2Ghz chip in your gamebox to fully take advantage of this image and play the newer stuff like NBA Jam etc. Using Mamewah editor and Photoshop I've customised the Home Screen + graphics so it looks nicer than the standard xxxx-1 awful-coloured-crap home screen. I fixed the basic menu so it doesn't overlap the screen snaps, plus got rid of the hundreds of duplicate games and different languages etc.

I call the image 'Flynn's' - in homage to Flynns Arcade.

Edit March 2018 - I can't host the image any more on onedrive due to restrictions when I did. If your'e after this image post a request for anyone hosting the torrent, seeing as people are still after it I might see if I can do something at megaupload.

Edited by Jed

looking for this coveted image

Done a bit of reading on this thread and other parts of this amazing forum and gleaned alot of history from valuable contributions from this community. Just barely joined so i could post and make a request and first off just want to thank everyone for their insight and keeping things alive with regard to images for these systems. That said, my daughter has put my 1315 in one killer edition by games family on its last leg by discovering the power switch to my arcade and cycling power who knows how many times giving me the dreaded bootable disk not found error.

gonna back up my image a sata to ide adapter and try to pull of the image with what seems to be acronis being the go to for doing such but also want to try this flynn's image as it seems my hardware maybe old enough to tackle this. Can i get a PM with the link to this coveted download to give it a try? Thanks in advance to any that respond.

Lastly, i'm taking a bit of a different approach than most with the ide to sata adapter and using a nifty little board i imported from china which takes an SD card to IDE then using a 128gb sandisk microSD in microSD to SD adapter with this to put the new image (or restore old image onto if no luck with flynn's image) to put humpty dumpty back together. Any thoughts or comments on this approach or been there done that's?

also any reason why acronis is the go to for cloning/backing up? anyone use macrium reflect instead? looking at the latter cause it's free and not having to be bound by 30 day window or hunt for a cracked version that comes with a bunch of other unwelcome visitors in the background.

Thanks all!

Edited by Gutterboy
additional question on macrium

ok well i am a little stuck cause my original 20gig hdd still works just occasionally loses its way to load and then comes back. I've since managed to get it to come back to life and boot on its own and then used macrium to backup an image of the original HDD with its 3 partitions, one being an active NTFS, the next being a logical NTFS called games, and then what seems to be a hidden third one called RCX_SRVC or something like that to which i would guess holds the restore function for 2p pressed "discontinuously" as the games family states.

so due to my impatience of not getting the microSD card to SD to IDE adapter working (showed up in bios but just refused to boot after booting the first couple times with windows and then hanging forever) i got a 120gb SSD drive with an IDE to Sata converter board and after figuring out the jumper pin for directionality restored the backed up image of the working original HDD on this.

BIOS sees this hard drive as well no problem but refuses to load saying boot device not found press ctrl alt delete to restart.

put original HDD in and away the thing flies and playing lady bug, street fighter and mr. do in no time.

not sure what the hell i am doing wrong but would love to be enlightened as i know this original seagate ide hdd is on its last days. Thought i had this cased with a drive image and just getting the magic combo of hardware but i am stumped here.

any help appreciated. also a pm or link to flynn's image could be a god send right now with a more recent game list than my 1315 K.E.

ok well i am a little stuck cause my original 20gig hdd still works just occasionally loses its way to load and then comes back. I've since managed to get it to come back to life and boot on its own and then used macrium to backup an image of the original HDD with its 3 partitions, one being an active NTFS, the next being a logical NTFS called games, and then what seems to be a hidden third one called RCX_SRVC or something like that to which i would guess holds the restore function for 2p pressed "discontinuously" as the games family states.

so due to my impatience of not getting the microSD card to SD to IDE adapter working (showed up in bios but just refused to boot after booting the first couple times with windows and then hanging forever) i got a 120gb SSD drive with an IDE to Sata converter board and after figuring out the jumper pin for directionality restored the backed up image of the working original HDD on this.

BIOS sees this hard drive as well no problem but refuses to load saying boot device not found press ctrl alt delete to restart.

put original HDD in and away the thing flies and playing lady bug, street fighter and mr. do in no time.

not sure what the hell i am doing wrong but would love to be enlightened as i know this original seagate ide hdd is on its last days. Thought i had this cased with a drive image and just getting the magic combo of hardware but i am stumped here.

any help appreciated. also a pm or link to flynn's image could be a god send right now with a more recent game list than my 1315 K.E.

One solution is Grab a usb-IDE ext caddy plus IDE HDD off eBay then clone your original onto that.

From what I have read in posts on AA getting an SSD to work requires some dark juju.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Thanks to Crazyau I already have the image, but it does not come out of the games with the 1p button pressed, and the button 6 does not work either, any idea ?. Thanks for your help.

Edit: solved

Yeah, mine is the same.

What was the fix for exiting the game to get back to the main menu?

Cheers!

Adam.

Have you tried holding P1 and P2 together ? (for a couple secs)

btw if you are using my image in a games family cocktail machine, not all 6 buttons will work. The cocktail games family used a slightly different inputs setup.

Have you tried holding P1 and P2 together ? (for a couple secs)

btw if you are using my image in a games family cocktail machine, not all 6 buttons will work. The cocktail games family used a slightly different inputs setup.

Mine is the updated Flynn's Arcade version.

Will try P1 and P2 together.

Thanks!

Delarge Jed kaizen

Anyone able to pass along flynn's image or something similar to a 1315 killer edition or. 2019 in one games family type of image with trackball support to get my soon to fail machine new life.

Its hit or miss on having a boot sector on the old ide, got all new parts but old image doesn't work when I transfer to either of SD card to ide or on ssd on sata to ide.

Would like to try a fresh image then the image of my old ide after I had gotten it to boot and shut down.

Link would be great and I gotta guy with a usenet subscription that could help keep the image backed up and shared for the community for others that are in my position and need a solid image to get their machine back up and running.

Bump.

Anyone with an image?

Or anyone have any secret voodoo black juju on how to get an SD card or SSD with said image to work? My existing image (when it works and shuts down properly) does not transfer. Bios sees the hard drive but doesn't want to boot.

Some secret to using only a certain disc image? Running out of ideas.

Edited by Gutterboy
Additional question

Bump.

Anyone with an image?

Or anyone have any secret voodoo black juju on how to get an SD card or SSD with said image to work? My existing image (when it works and shuts down properly) does not transfer. Bios sees the hard drive but doesn't want to boot.

Some secret to using only a certain disc image? Running out of ideas.

What version of the hardware are you using - IE, what year is stamped on the gamebox or on the motherboard ? The Flynns image I made seems to be most compatible with the older ( <2010) boards.

I'm not sure if anyone has a torrent seeded for this any more... ? I don't have it anywhere. I can't upload huge files any more, i now live in a rural area and my internet is sh1thouse.

Help?

Couldn't find a date stamped motherboard from looking around inside my cab but on the top daughter board there's sticker that says version 1.1

Its a games family 1315 killer edition from paradise arcade in Hawaii.

Anyone got this image or something I can try with this new storage hardware?

Wife is getting really pissed off leaving it torn apart.

I got myself a 1500-in-1 unit last year. Had a lot of fun with it, then the CF card with a IDE interface that has the OS installed on it died the other night. Since these types of drives seem to be pretty rare, I have ordered a CF->IDE and a SATA->IDE device so then I can either use a CF card of SATA device. I am looking at initially using the Flynn image, but being a Linux nerd, I really want to build up a Linux image for one of these devices. Trouble is I can't find any details of anyone doing this with Linux. I will have a crack at it, but if anyone has any useful resources on these cabinets... please share them here. Otherwise, I will install linux and see how it goes :)... hopefully the linux kernel just sorta sees the JAMMA IO devices.