Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Trouble selling item on Gumtree - bad buyer

I posted an ad on Gumtree on Sunday for an exercise bike I want to sell. Got a few text messages and emails from about 5 different people. The first lady who called came round last night at 5pm to have a look. She paid me $90 cash and said she would be back today to pick it up. So last night I take down the add and let all the other people know it has been sold. Late last night (after 11:30pm!) I get a text message asking if she can have her money back!! What the..?

What is the best process here. Should I be nice and give her the money back and have to try and contact one of the other people that were interested. Or should I say stiff bickies, no refunds. I mean she didn't buy it from a shop or anything. I'm just worried that she and her boyfriend know where I live etc.. so if they get pissed off I don't want my house broken into or something stupid.

Ok, guess I should be nice and refund. She is not answering my calls this morning though. Reminds me of some of the idiots who came to my garage sale a couple of years ago. I had a guy buy a cordless phone at the garage sale for $10. He brought it back that night and wanted a refund. I refunded him but I mean cmon, your buying at a garage sale!

• Super Moderator
Ok, guess I should be nice and refund. She is not answering my calls this morning though. Reminds me of some of the idiots who came to my garage sale a couple of years ago. I had a guy buy a cordless phone at the garage sale for $10. He brought it back that night and wanted a refund. I refunded him but I mean cmon, your buying at a garage sale!

Send her a text, tell her your only available next weekend (or similiar) to offer her a refund, make her work to your conditions, don't chase her.

I would have told the phone guy to G&GF'd..

Well as you know I work as a volunteer at the Salvo's. People return stuff everyday. Were talking Jigsaw puzzles with 1 piece missing they bought for 50cents. Or they just don't want it anymore. Someone returned an Xbox because they couldn't connect it to there TV - it had all the cables so Im guessing it was an old tv. Someone once returned a N64 because there son thought it was boring.

Now we have a volunteer who's sole job is to count the pieces in jigsaw puzzles - the poor bastard. I see him counting the pieces in those 1000 piece puzzles and I'm so tempted to mutter 29 as I walk past.