Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

AES Universal Bios Mod

• Administrators

Got my AES today, big thanks goes out to Hollo.

Before Even trying it out I'm going to install the Universal Bios by Razoola which can be found HERE

IMAG0020.thumb.jpg.425ed6641da514d7478b33055032b83c.jpg

Materials needed

Bios image, paid version is 3.0 Free version is 2.3

A 27C1024 Eprom

40 Pin socket

Eprom Programmer

Desoldering Station

Philips Screw Driver

Patience!

Neo Geo Memory Card (optional. Needed for saving region and Arcade/Console mode settings, Default is Euro/AES)

First off WE need to remove the 5 screws that I've marked. You are either going to have to punch through the foam pads with your screw driver or carefully remove and re-glue them. I chose to punch through them with a small phillips.

IMAG0021.thumb.jpg.2384ec06d843c4eedee9716f6fabc34d.jpg

Now with the Console open remove the 13 screws. (sorry about poor picture.

Take note of the IC marked ROM, this is what we are removing.

IMAG0022.thumb.jpg.507cd14dcd37081798fcd711f5010cad.jpg

Now carefully remove the PCB from the case and turn it over. We need to de-solder the Prom marked SP1

IMAG0023.thumb.jpg.eff1e1f81dc773f4377310b9a1b88881.jpg

Now install and solder in your 40 pin socket

IMAG0024.thumb.jpg.f867dca67e16c94b71c0cea1fcebb759.jpg

Time to install your new Universal Bios Rom

IMAG0025.thumb.jpg.819554f0f14378d55ad394415ec47f0b.jpg

Its worth noting the jumper pad here when bridged will put the console in 50htz mode....we don't want that so leave it be.

Luckily my AES is from Japan so is already 60htz, if anybody with a pal console wanted 60htz you would have to remove the solder on this jumper.

IMAG0026.thumb.jpg.1a220aa30b3739614f83eb1c7731f2b9.jpg

Time to test the machine. As fore mentioned this AES is from Japan and the adapter is 100v..no good unless you have a step down transformer. The transformer is rated 10v 1 Amp, My JayCar multi-tap 1.5 amp set to 9 volts works fine.

Here's the AES booted up in the UniBios menu.

IMAG0027.thumb.jpg.92e84257bfb63d167c5f7cdee2ac7f6b.jpg

Here you can change Region and Console/Arcade modes, edit game settings etc.

Keep in mind unlike the MVS which has a internal time keeper and battery back up the AES doesn't so on the AES you'll need a Neogeo Memory card to save the settings. Luckily the default setting is Euro/AES which is the best IMO. (I knew that Memory card I bought off Hollo would come in handy one day)

To get into the Bios menu you have to hold down A,B,C then power on the console.

When in Arcade mode you use SELECT to add coins.

Enjoy!

IMAG0028.thumb.jpg.4c223dccdde9488c9f1d47d76491033d.jpg

Edited by Arcade King

• Administrators

I have a pair of NEO CD pads and have to say THEY ROCK! :)

Here's a cut and paste from the Uni bios site

WHAT IS IT

The UNIVERSE BIOS is for owners of MVS or AES hardware that want an easy way to change country region or between Arcade or Console mode on boot. Also included are other features that are not possible using the standard MVS bios.

The UNIVERSE BIOS is also designed to give easy access to things like inserting coins, test mode and memory card management when using the joystick ports only. Of course the BIOS still allows standard operation too.

MAIN FEATURES

The ability to quickly and easily change operation from MVS to AES. Play your favourite games as the home console version enabling all the extra gameplay options that come with some games.

The ability to quickly and easily change country region (great for games that disable blood under USA region).

Access to the DEBUG DIP's and DEVELOPER mode.

Want unlimited lives or energy... Then cheat in games using the built in cheat engine which currently holds over 1570 cheats!!!

If you are not happy with the cheats already there then you can patch directly into memory any place you like adding your own.

Jukebox player where one can listen to game music without sound FX from gameplay over the top. Nice option if you want to create MP3's.

A ROM CRC32 check where you can confirm a games program roms are good.

True USA region support (correct coin display on bottom left and right of screen in the same way a true USA BIOS does.

Arcade VS-MODE support which is known to be in the version 6 JAPAN bios. Turn this feature on via hard dip 2.

PC-2-NEO which gives the ability to upload and download data from the system using a cable which can be easily built.

Other Features

Remapping of coin switches to select buttons and visa versa. This allows a SNK joypad pad to do everything.

Once region and operation mode is set the BIOS will remember settings until you change them again.

Access to the standard Memory Card Utility no matter what Mode the BIOS is in (one could never access this menu with the normal MVS BIOS).

Access to Test Mode on boot without the need of wiring the Test Mode JAMMA pins or fiddling with DIP's.

Enhancements to the TEST MODE menu and hardware test screens.

Console mode lockout protection removed from latest games when running on MVS hardware (bypasses the red warning screens).

Arcade mode lockout protection removed from latest games when running on AES hardware (bypasses the red warning screens).

Look at internal memory with the built in memory viewer. This is handy for tracking faults with slots that don't work (multislot hardware) or carts that simply won't start.

The ability to soft reboot the system without the need of powering off and on.

HOW IT WORKS

The UNIVERSE BIOS is a patched version of the original SNK BIOS. Most code is the same as the original BIOS with the new code being worked into it. To access features of the UNIVERSE BIOS you will need to use button codes. These codes can only be used on player 1 controls apart from the controller test code.

The following codes should be used while the splash screen is showing or held during power up if the splash screen is disabled;

(A)+(B)+© UNIVERSE BIOS Menu

(A)+(B)+©+(D) Memory Card Manager

(B)+©+(D) Test Mode (MVS only)

(A)+(B)+(D) Hardware Test (AES only)

The following code can only be entered on player 2 control

(A)+(B)+©+(D) Controller Test

The following codes are available in game only;

(START)+(SELECT) In Game Menu

(START)+(COIN) In Game Menu

(START)+(A)+(B)+© In Game Menu

Further information on using the UNIVERSE BIOS is provided in the manual that came with the UNIVERSE BIOS or in the readme.txt included with the image.

[offtopic]

Oh and since we are here I have to add a "well done" to Radirgyman for the following nomination..and I quote

LOL....wait a go dude....that's not an easy thing to do!

[/ontopic]

Now everyone go and install a UNIBIOS!!!

Ahh poo.. I know what you mean now..

Yeah that was a pisstake ya dork!

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Edited by radirgyman

• 11 months later...

Before Even trying it out I'm going to install the Universal Bios by Razoola which can be found HERE

That being a 3-6 revision did you cut the RGB lines that run under the XTAL? That fixes the vertical lines when using the console in RGB if anyone is wondering.

I can do a how to if anyone wants, or i can also mod the console for you ( including the earlier revisions being brought up to the correct RGB levels of the later consoles )

That being a 3-6 revision did you cut the RGB lines that run under the XTAL? That fixes the vertical lines when using the console in RGB if anyone is wondering.

I can do a how to if anyone wants, or i can also mod the console for you ( including the earlier revisions being brought up to the correct RGB levels of the later consoles )

Hey Neo,

Why not have a hit at creating a guide. We need some new ones as its been a bit quiet here. I was working on one tonight but hit a roadblock.