Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL14 Game 10 - Burger Time [COMPLETED]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do believe that John has already suggested the broken thumbs technique ;)

Nah mate the more the merrier I say especially when you learn so many new tips and tricks for some of these classics.

Brad

I did suggest kneecapping earlier, but he could always sit on a stool :D

Wait what? who said there is non-random selection of games in MGL ? it's 100% randomly selected every time you see a game appear in the MGL.

WTV suggested it in post #4 where he postulated re-generating if two shooters came up side by side.

Just saying I think that's a poor idea. The noms reflect the will of the people.

I did suggest kneecapping earlier, but he could always sit on a stool :D

Looks like I need to take out some health insurance, hire a security team and change my location to "parts unknown". :lol

Seriously though I've been VERY lucky with the games so far. Just had a look at the picks from the last 2 MGLs and I honestly would've struggled to match the top scores on several games.

I'm off to price an electric fence now. :D

Rob

WTV suggested it in post #4 where he postulated re-generating if two shooters came up side by side.

Just saying I think that's a poor idea. The noms reflect the will of the people.

The will of the people means jack shit - that's why Julia is now our PM :lol

As mentioned previously, what you see come up is always the will of the people :)

John73 but Julia was the will of the people! Just the wrong type of people ;)

If two " shmups " came up i would change it and re RANDOMIZE the game, pending discussion with other mods.

Reason 1...we have had discussions long ago with players that it is way too tedious to play button mashers 2 weeks in a row. Decision was made long ago, end of story.

Reason 2...well this is a no brainer. If you wish to voice your opinion ( and you are more than welcome to ) any further on the rules and decision of the mods, please feel free to pm Jamma, Brad, Dkong or myself.

Lets keep it out of the games thread if we can:)

Andy.

Rob that score is awesome!! :o Well done!

I don't often bother downloading and watching INP files but I certainly don't have any moral objection to it. I think knowing everything you can know about a game is just good preparation. After that it still takes the skill to apply learned techniques. After how much you guys went on about the tricks in this game though I just had to see it for myself. The WR INP is amazing! It'd never occurred to me to play the game like that guy does but I think I'll certainly give it a try. Two weeks isn't gonna be enough to put a dent in Rob's score but I've already beaten my own pb at least (a meagre 20k :lol)

Woah, I've been away for so long from this forum!

This MGL looks really good - so many people competing - in 1 day this thread went 4 pages. :P

Nice to see RMacauley putting up some big scores. Respect. :) I will give this a shot this week, never really been any good at it.

Are there going to be any vertical scrolling shooters this time around?

That is why using INP files is a grey area. Those who use them gain an advantage over others who either a/ don't want to b/can't be stuffed

It should not be a grey area at all. Watching INPs is just like watching other people play - it's perfectly legal. The more research someone does into the game the more advantage they have obviously. This is a level playing ground however, everyone can watch those INPs.

What is NOT legal is to use savestates to get your high scores. ie. Finishing stage 1 then savestating and keep restarting from there until you get stage 2 perfect, and so on. This is why alot of people require INPs using WolfMAME to verify scores where it is unable (or much harder?) to create a fake INP like this using savestates.

It should not be a grey area at all. Watching INPs is just like watching other people play - it's perfectly legal. The more research someone does into the game the more advantage they have obviously. This is a level playing ground however, everyone can watch those INPs.

What is NOT legal is to use savestates to get your high scores. ie. Finishing stage 1 then savestating and keep restarting from there until you get stage 2 perfect, and so on.

It's a grey area cause not everyone will use it / or even want to use it.

Save states is a no-brainer- have a read of the rules here if you need a refresher: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/607-RULES-FAQ-s-etc

It's a grey area cause not everyone will use it / or even want to use it.

Save states is a no-brainer- have a read of the rules here if you need a refresher: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/607-RULES-FAQ-s-etc

Not everyone will use it or want to use it, true. These people are just putting themselves at a disadvantage. Superplays etc have been around since the beginning of video games for a reason.

It's not even possible to enforce anyway so it shouldn't matter.

Man I hope a game I'm familiar with comes up this MGL. :)

• Administrators

I don't see an argument against watching inp's. As has already been stated, it's no different to watching other guys play at an arcade. The only real difference is that generally the recordings are of REALLY good players with all the included tips and tricks. These are usually picked up over time not by watching one recording....buy hey it's the internet and they will be available regardless.

Brad

I don't see an argument against watching inp's. As has already been stated, it's no different to watching other guys play at an arcade. The only real difference is that generally the recordings are of REALLY good players with all the included tips and tricks. Brad

Yep.... and that's a fair old 'only real difference'

I get it though. People want to use INP's. As always, democracy rules ;)

But where's the joy of discovery learning gone ? That's my point.

• Administrators

I don't disagree with your point about joy of discovery but in this day and age it's a moot point imo.

Bump & Jump is a prime example. I sunk MANY a 20cent piece into this game when a kid and NEVER knew about the 50,000 bonus until this round? How fair is that when the top players have been making record breaking scores on it whilst the boofheads like us are getting splinters in our hands from scratching our heads over exactly how they did it.....well I can speak for myself here about the splinters ;)

Brad

I don't disagree with your point about joy of discovery but in this day and age it's a moot point imo.

Bump & Jump is a prime example. I sunk MANY a 20cent piece into this game when a kid and NEVER knew about the 50,000 bonus until this round? How fair is that when the top players have been making record breaking scores on it whilst the boofheads like us are getting splinters in our hands from scratching our heads over exactly how they did it.....well I can speak for myself here about the splinters ;)

Brad

Bump n Jump isn't a prime example at all. you could have found out about the 50k bonus just by clicking on the KLOV link I supplied with the game :D

• Administrators
Bump n Jump isn't a prime example at all. you could have found out about the 50k bonus just by clicking on the KLOV link I supplied with the game :D

Argumentative sod :p

argumentative sod :p

sorry :D

And while I'm having a whinge. Why isn't my goddamn avatar animating ? It's a funny gif but now it just looks lame :(

Edit: sorted.

Edited by Jed

In my case on Bump n Jump, or as we knew it at the time Car Action, someone at my local deli which had the game told me about the 50K bonus. My response was "bullshit" until I tried it myself and found that it wasn't. How he found out I don't know. Same applies for the leapfrog hidden doll on Wonderboy or the bird or mole bonuses on Hyper Olympics. If I hadn't have seen someone do it I wouldn't have known or even considered trying for these things.

We all watched over peoples shoulders back in the day. Chances are we picked up a few pointers while doing so. I could say that watching INPs could technically be classed as the same thing. However INPs have the advantage of allowing you to quit and watch again right away. Not like waiting for someone to play again just to see if you saw what you thought you saw in an earlier game.

I have a perfect Pacman INP on my hard drive. The effort to re produce it myself is way beyond me. Same applies for other games. In the case of Burgertime I put in a bit of effort purely for my own entertainment. Far from perfect with the exception of one screen layout but I was (and still am) content with that. My moral dilemmas came from TG posts at the time about Burgertime. No other game caused me this problem. I'm over it now.

I've placed 10th in the last 2 Funspot tournaments. They don't reveal the game lineups until opening time on day 1 and don't switch them on until start time. No prior knowledge or practice time allowed for an even playing field. I've heard that most of the top players spend most nights after closing time disecting the games using MAME and save states. The skill level jumps from day to day are huge. Try competing with that without a laptop. It's very, very full on.

Cheers

Rob

In my case on Bump n Jump, or as we knew it at the time Car Action, someone at my local deli which had the game told me about the 50K bonus. My response was "bullshit" until I tried it myself and found that it wasn't. How he found out I don't know. Same applies for the leapfrog hidden doll on Wonderboy or the bird or mole bonuses on Hyper Olympics. If I hadn't have seen someone do it I wouldn't have known or even considered trying for these things.

We all watched over peoples shoulders back in the day. Chances are we picked up a few pointers while doing so. I could say that watching INPs could technically be classed as the same thing. However INPs have the advantage of allowing you to quit and watch again right away. Not like waiting for someone to play again just to see if you saw what you thought you saw in an earlier game.

I have a perfect Pacman INP on my hard drive. The effort to re produce it myself is way beyond me. Same applies for other games. In the case of Burgertime I put in a bit of effort purely for my own entertainment. Far from perfect with the exception of one screen layout but I was (and still am) content with that. My moral dilemmas came from TG posts at the time about Burgertime. No other game caused me this problem. I'm over it now.

I've placed 10th in the last 2 Funspot tournaments. They don't reveal the game lineups until opening time on day 1 and don't switch them on until start time. No prior knowledge or practice time allowed for an even playing field. I've heard that most of the top players spend most nights after closing time disecting the games using MAME and save states. The skill level jumps from day to day are huge. Try competing with that without a laptop. It's very, very full on.

Cheers

Rob

Agree... Interesting about the Funspot Tournaments... Whats the deal with those? Can anyone just rock up and compete? do you have to pay or know someone?

Anyone who shows up is welcome to play. Costs $30US to register for the whole 4 days. Registration starts 1 hour before start time on day one but is open at any time from then on. The $30 also gives you a goody bag, T shirt (the last two did anyway) and roughly 200 tokens. Trust me with 15 games in the main tournament, 5 or 6 in the manufacturers tournament plus a mystery game each day and possably a side tournament based on a certain game and it's variations (Afterburner in 2010, Galaga in 2011) you will go through the 200 tokens easy. You are allowed to buy more from any change machine if you run out.

If you can deal with long flights and can afford to make the trip I highly recommend it.