State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

Time for a little PC Engine love

Bring on the PC Engine love.

Here's my little stash, which will be growing again soon due to me shifting my focus from SEGA back to the PC Engine.

Boxed original PC Engine console:

Briefcase and CDROM2 attachments:

Bit of hardware:

Some games:

Recent score, finally obtained a copy of Sapphire which is great as I love the game:

Your turn boys... Can't wait to see what Hollo and Rad have!
    SEGA love: click | Nintendo love: click
    PC Engine love: click | Latest retro finds: click

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    303 Post(s)
    Noice. I was waiting for Hollo to start this!

BTW why did you want a copy of sapphire if youve already go it?

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by radirgyman View Post
    Noice. I was waiting for Hollo to start this!

BTW why did you want a copy of sapphire if youve already go it?
    I think Hollo wanted me or you to do it, I'm sure he'll join in soon.

Re Sapphire, had a burnt copy mate, wanted a pressed CD as to not risk damage to the CD system. Mind you, I'm not convinced that playing burnt media is dangerous - I know some people have had problems but I have to wonder if it's isolated to US hardware, or perhaps people using cheap CD's or imaging and burning incorrectly/writing too fast. All I know is that I've never had a problem.

State
    Japan
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Nice guys! I can't wait to see some of Rad's stuff. I know he has a few things which are top notch - waaaay better than the gear I have. So get those pics taken Rad!

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1404 Post(s)
    I will take a snap of my limited stash at some point. All of which has come from Hollo and all of which is pretty standard and boring when it comes to collecting.

I do so love R-Type though

Gotta get a PCE multi-tap and some 6 buttons sticks so I can hit up some Street Fighter II without having to constantly hit the select button to switch between punch and kick...

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

Namastepat, brand new multitaps like the one I have pictured will set you back around $22 delivered. It's worth getting a new one at this price as they're an essential bit of kit for the PCE for obvious reasons - especially great for the Bomberman games. There's plenty of 'new unsold stock' available and it's great being the first one to open it and receiving everything that's supposed to come with it, such as the sticker labels etc. They were a lot cheaper when I got mine a year or two ago, but have since jumped up in price by around $10.

Re SFII, I'm really not a big fan of the AvenuePad 6 - just something about the d-pad that doesn't feel right when making the advanced combo moves that SFII requires. Many others have the same complaint. I'd only be grabbing one of these as a last resort, and I wouldn't be spending any more than $35 on one. These are still available new in box too.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find the decent 6 button pads for the PCE and they cost a lot more.

The best option for a 6 button pad in my opinion is the Hori Fighting commander:

Another great pad is the original NEC Arcade Pad 6, these were bundled with the Duo-RX consoles and also available separately:

If you want a joystick, the Hori Fighting Stick is great but it will probably set you back triple digits:

State
    new zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Ha I remember playing sf2 on 3 button pads, using the select to change punch/kicks. If you could do combos which used both you were the man lol

State
    Japan
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    I don't mind the Avenue pads actually, or the original PCE pads come to think of it, but I do have one of those Hori sticks you have pictured there Frank and it's really the best thing for the PCE in my opinion - really cold to use in winter though as the whole thing is metal!

Stuff that Nzmendo!
    The only trouble with PCE though is that the standard pad has only two buttons...

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

The standard pad is great, just doesn't have enough buttons.

The Avenue pad is okay for platformers/shooters etc, but IMO it just doesn't cut it for SFII.

State
    Para Hills, South Australia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I don't have a whole lot to add to this thread. I don't really own anything rare or all that interesting when it comes to pce. But I will definately be watching this space to see everyone elses cool pce gear.

I might even pick up some much needed knowledge on the cool little system

At least I know there will never be a "time for a little Ngage love" thread

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information