Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL14 Game 5 - TURTLES [COMPLETED]

Great scores on this game. And John you were right about the WR tumbling. Where's the eat humble pie smiley for me?

:lol

Good chance that Uniwar S WR could go too. I've only had about 2 dozen games and am already up to 8K, reckon there are some better players than me on this one who will give the TG WR a nudge :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lol

Good chance that Uniwar S WR could go too. I've only had about 2 dozen games and am already up to 8K, reckon there are some better players than me on this one who will give the TG WR a nudge :)

Rat's score on MARP is more than twice the twin galaxies #1 score, and the #1 score on MARP for Uniwar S is almost 4x better than the TG top score :rolleyes

Makes you wonder a bit where the 'real' records are....? Probably a mix though, between the two sites, depending on the game.

Yeah, a good example of that is Raiden and R-Type, there are MARP scores for those which blow away the TG ones...

Can someone explain the who history behind MARP for me? Why do they exist and is still used for submissions when clearly TG is the recognised place for score submissions? Was MARP used for MAME before TG decided to start accepting MAME submissions?

MARP don't seem to insist on any official DIP switch settings which is obviously problem with their record keeping. If Guiness is going to be used, they'd be pretty strict on meeting certain requirements - this would be one of them unless you want a 5000 page book because of all the variations you could have with just one game.

This association with Guiness probably answers my questions as to why TG use such an old version of Mame/WolfMame for record keeping.

MARP don't seem to insist on any official DIP switch settings which is obviously problem with their record keeping. If Guiness is going to be used, they'd be pretty strict on meeting certain requirements - this would be one of them unless you want a 5000 page book because of all the variations you could have with just one game.

This association with Guiness probably answers my questions as to why TG use such an old version of Mame/WolfMame for record keeping.

Do MAME scores go into the Gamer Edition of Guiness World Records? But any other history on the whole MARP thing would be interesting...

Do MAME scores go into the Gamer Edition of Guiness World Records? But any other history on the whole MARP thing would be interesting...

Rob or OOO is probably the best person to ask about that.

I think one of them (or someone else) said that the Gamer Edition is only a select number of scores, but I'm not positive.

I'd like to buy the Gamer Edition of Guiness to see, maybe I'll check out Amazon.

I think it's kinda shitty that MARP holds all those hi scores. If I held any records on TG (:lol) I'd be disappointed to find out that it was bettered somewhere else unofficially. I can see how the lack of dip switch settings would be an issue for MARP scores. As for TG's version of WolfMame, does it make any difference at all? All the games play the same so what does it matter? I generally play out of MALA all the time and only use WolfMame on the rare occasion I want to record a score.

I think it's kinda shitty that MARP holds all those hi scores. If I held any records on TG (:lol) I'd be disappointed to find out that it was bettered somewhere else unofficially. I can see how the lack of dip switch settings would be an issue for MARP scores. As for TG's version of WolfMame, does it make any difference at all? All the games play the same so what does it matter? I generally play out of MALA all the time and only use WolfMame on the rare occasion I want to record a score.

I don't think the version of WolfMame should be an issue, as things are fixed within Mame, surely the game plays more and more accurately in later versions :unsure

However, I do believe to be associated with Guiness and as the official WR site for competitive gaming that Guiness would have laid down some pretty strong ground rules to TG & Walter - they wouldn't want their name to be associated with anything but 100% genuine scores (as much as TG can control this). I figure this means that TG must completely verify the code of every version of WolfMame for it to be officially used. I've not looked at WolfMame Source (is it Open Source? I'd imagine that it would be), but what is stopping someone who knows how to program, modifying and rebuilding Wolf to do things like: Allowing pause but stopping the recording at the same time. Not sure if this could be done, as I don't know the ins and outs of how Wolfmame guarantees recordings are legit.

Anyway, had a quick look at Amazon. I'd assume this is the book made in conjunction with TG: http://www.amazon.com/Guinness-World-Records-2012-Gamers/dp/1904994768/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329718598&sr=8-1, this version and older versions don't get very good reviews.

Might still buy one as they are cheap enough to be used as a door stop.

TG has always been very slow to change to a newer MAME version. When I started competing in MAME decathlons the version was m35tg3b which was a slightly modified version with the pause function disabled. The next upgrade was to Wolf78. 30+ revisions before any change. Then it didn't change until Wolf101. They've often said that they were testing a later version and often trotted out the "lack of stability" excuse but I can't see any further changes coming any time soon. Another excuse for one version only was so that MAME refs didn't need to have multiple versions on hand or track down some "obscure version". Wolf 106 was in place well before Guinness started accepting TG scores again.

Some MAME scores have been included in the Guinness Gamers Edition in the past. I was listed in the 2010 for Neo Mr Do on MAME. Not sure about this year or what the grounds for inclusion are.

Cheers

Rob

The only good reason I see for an update is some of the recording issues that Wolf 106 has with some titles. One of my favorites and a well loved title "Raiden" is a good example. It took me 5 submissions before one was verified :-/