Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Who knows about registering a domain name?

I'm looking at starting up a new business, so I need to first find a Business Name that isn't taken (in Qld) or is an Australian Pty Ltd company which isn't too hard. But finding a good business name where the domain (.com.au) isn't taken is proving to be difficult.

My understanding is that to register a .com.au domain, the domain must closely relate to your business name and fair enough.

Tonight I looked up a name in ASIC, let's say it was "xyz supplies"

There is a registered business name in WA

The is no Australian registered company called "xyz supplies" in Australia anywhere

There is no registered business by this name in Qld, so I can therefore register it.

Trouble is. http://www.xyzsupplies.com.au is already registered.

A quick whois reveals that this domain is registered to a company in Victoria (a Pty Ltd by a totally different name). There was a registered business now removed in Vic call "xyz supplies". So I'm assuming that the Pty Ltd company in Vic owned the removed Business name at one stage, and registered the domain.

If I try to access the domain, I get nothing - just an error. So they aren't actively trying to sell it I'm guessing :unsure

I understand why we have this system in Australia, but it seems odd that someone can register a business, grab a domain matching the business name but then hold onto the domain when they aren't actively trading under that business name :unsure

Can I get onto a web hosting service and ask them to investigate if the registered but unused domain can be purchased?

• Super Moderator
I understand why we have this system in Australia, but it seems odd that someone can register a business, grab a domain matching the business name but then hold onto the domain when they aren't actively trading under that business name :unsure

Isn't that what they term 'cyber squatting'..?

Otherwise, I can't help..

Isn't that what they term 'cyber squatting'..?

Otherwise, I can't help..

Well that's what I thought.

But if you are cyber squatting you'd generally:

1. Have to keep the Business name registered wouldn't you?

2. At least have a home page on the domain saying that you wanted to sell it :confused:

I thought the whole idea behind domain registering laws were to stop this sort of thing. Maybe I'll email a webhosting company that I'm thinking of hosting with and ask them.

If you deal with Webcity you will not only get a great hosting deal (in my experience) but you will also get 24 hr PHONE support IN AUSTRALIA.….that's worth a lot in my book.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't decided on a hosting company yet, but I have researched a couple and steered clear of one based on some very bad reviews (whirlpool forum)

I have dealt with Webcity for many years now with about 6 sites and had no problems - others have had different experiences as they always will, but like I said, phone help in Aus BY Australians is worth its weight in gold - to me anyway.…...they have always been prompt and helpful and I have been able to understand them ;)

I have dealt with Webcity for many years now with about 6 sites and had no problems - others have had different experiences as they always will, but like I said, phone help in Aus BY Australians is worth its weight in gold - to me anyway.…...they have always been prompt and helpful and I have been able to understand them ;)

The company I had almost decided on hosting with were $19.95 per month, a similar site hosted by WebCity was about $7.95 a month. Definitely a front runner.

I'm currently looking at using OpenCart as the eCommerce engine, so as long as this works with WebCity it's looking good, don't see any reason why it won't, they have PHP5 and MySql.

To be able to get/keep a .com.au domain name you MUST have a current ABN that has the same name (Or abbreviation of) as the domain name.

Anybody can have a domain name and have no page hosted, but you find that those that do that are cybersquatting (I have a friend that does this and holds a few domains that some businesses are after) and would normally wait until they get a great offer to sell it.

Another thing to look at is also trying to ensure that you can get the .net.au, .com and .net versions of the name (will cost a bit extra) and then have them forwarded to the main .com.au site, so this will give you extra search possibilities.

I'm looking at starting up a new business, so I need to first find a Business Name that isn't taken (in Qld) or is an Australian Pty Ltd company which isn't too hard. But finding a good business name where the domain (.com.au) isn't taken is proving to be difficult.

My understanding is that to register a .com.au domain, the domain must closely relate to your business name and fair enough.

Tonight I looked up a name in ASIC, let's say it was "xyz supplies"

There is a registered business name in WA

The is no Australian registered company called "xyz supplies" in Australia anywhere

There is no registered business by this name in Qld, so I can therefore register it.

Trouble is. http://www.xyzsupplies.com.au is already registered.

A quick whois reveals that this domain is registered to a company in Victoria (a Pty Ltd by a totally different name). There was a registered business now removed in Vic call "xyz supplies". So I'm assuming that the Pty Ltd company in Vic owned the removed Business name at one stage, and registered the domain.

If I try to access the domain, I get nothing - just an error. So they aren't actively trying to sell it I'm guessing :unsure

Can I get onto a web hosting service and ask them to investigate if the registered but unused domain can be purchased?

I recently registered 3 domain names

2 of them I have also registered as my businesses, but the 3rd one has no business name at all.

I used crazydomains.com.au

dirt cheap and all up and running

I used bettycrocker1942 (AA member) to host my 2 business names, he is a very talented IT guy. He set it all up, I did not a lot (Well, I picked the names)

I recently registered 3 domain names

2 of them I have also registered as my businesses, but the 3rd one has no business name at all.

I used crazydomains.com.au

dirt cheap and all up and running

I used bettycrocker1942 (AA member) to host my 2 business names, he is a very talented IT guy. He set it all up, I did not a lot (Well, I picked the names)

So how did you manage to register the 3rd without a business name? I thought the only other way you could do it without a Business/Company name would be registering your own name? :confused:

The .net.au is available, and I'm considering getting that. Not worried about .com really, even though it would be nice, it's taken by a US company that does something totally different.

I may query into the .com.au with MelbourneIT (they are still the people who administer the .AU name space in Australia aren't they?)