Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Dreamcast Boot Discs - Downloads Inside

After scouring the internet for the various Dreamcast boot discs and going through all the trial and error, such as fake or non-working images, zips with passwords that weren't revealed anywhere, the same file uploaded under various different names or building up a collection of drink coasters due to discs that simply didn't boot, I figured I may as well share my efforts.

I found 3 unique boot discs that seem to be worthwhile. There is a fourth one that is a GameShark demo CD, originating from the UK and seemingly distributed with a computer magazine, and whilst it works it doesn't seem to be all that worthwhile.

All images have been burnt using Disc Juggler (Google for a free download) and tested on my Dreamcast. The demo version of Disc Juggler is free to use, freely downloadable and straight forward to use. The restrictions of the demo version don't hamper its use in any significant way. Although it's an older program and seemingly no longer being developed, it works beautifully with Dreamcast images. I usually use Alcohol 120 but this seems to be very hit and miss when it comes to successfully burning Dreamcast images. All you need to know regarding burning with Disc Juggler is to click 'No' if it ever prompts you to repair an image prior to burning.

So, here they are:

UTOPIA VERSION 1.1

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/fjs/Utopia11.jpg

This is the original and official version of Utopia. It is the only one that they ever released.

Utopia Boot Disk v1.1.zip

UTOPIA VERSION 1.2

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/fjs/Utopia12.jpg

This is not an official release. It's based upon the official 1.1 version of Utopia although I have no idea who created it nor what is different about it. This is littered throughout the internet as version v1.3, v1.5 or v2 however all versions are the same and reported as v1.2 on the main screen.

Utopia Boot Disk v1.2.zip

GameShark Lite

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/fjs/GameSharkLite.jpg

This is an alternative to Utopia and also has a cheat system present. It has built in codes for 210 games (ignore the image above that states 127 games, it must be from an older version and is the only image I could find of it online) and I'm sure more are available online. As a boot disc for playing imports it works just as well as Utopia.

GameShark Lite.zip

GameShark CDX v3.3

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/fjs/GameSharkCDXv33.jpg

This is an alternative to Utopia and also has a cheat system present. It has built in codes for 53 games and I'm sure more are available online. As a boot disc for playing imports it works just as well as Utopia. I would speculate that this is essentially the same as GameShark Lite, perhaps it's just from a different region.

GameShark CDX v3.3.zip

I'd suggest sticking to Utopia v1.1 as it is the original and seemingly the best. That said, it's nice to have some options in the event of a game that won't boot with one of the particular boot discs. If you're into cheat codes, GameShark Lite seems to be your best bet.

If you have or know of a boot disc that isn't mentioned here, please let me know about it and I'll add it to this list if I can find a copy of it.

Hopefully this comes in useful to someone.

Thanks Frank.

Something new for me to play with over the holidays.

I'll certainly give Utopia v1.2 a go as 1.1 gives me the "no VGA support/video settings" message.

I have my Dreamcast set up with a VGA box and hooked up to my tri-sync monitor in my Candy Cab - and not being bale to play the games that need a boot disc has been a pain.

Cheers