State
    Point Cook
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

Colecovision AV Mod - PAL

Hey guys,
    Got a console of a client to mod and thought I would document the process for anyone wanting to give it a try.
    Things you will need are
    Soldering iron
    Solder sucker or solder braid
    Phillips head screwdriver
    drill and drill bits to mount the RCA connectors
    Heat shrink or electrical tape for insulation or wires
    double sided tape to mount the circuit
    1 x 3.3K resistor (needed to replace one on the motherboard)
    Perfboard to make up the circuit
    • 1 x 3.3K resistor
    • 2 x 1K resistors
    • 1 x 75ohm resistor
    • 1 x 4.7K resistor
    • 1 x BC547 transistor

We will start by making up the circuit. I just use a 5 x 5 piece of perfboard to make it up. Below is a diagram of what needs to be done.

We start with our colecovision console.

Remove the controllers from the console

Flip the console over and remove the 7 screws that are holding the top lid onto the console

The top lid comes off by lifting the back of it and pulling forward. This can be a bit tricky but you will manage eventually. Now we see the inside of the console

Remove the RF cable from the RF unit. Throw this in the bin as you will not be using this crapping video output anymore!

Start by desoldering the grounding cable from the RF unit to the metal shielding

The metal shielding is attached by solder. Remove the shielding by heating solder at the following points and lifting off

Another one here

This one is on the left side of the shielding

One more here. The is another one on the front left of the console. I forgot to take a picture of this one.

We now have the motherboard visible and ready to work on. We need to remove 5 screws of the mother board as we will need to lift it out later to remove a resistor. There is a screw on each corner and one above the cartridge slot

Look at the wires coming from the RF unit to the motherboard. We need to cut the blue wire

Now cut the red wire. The red wire coming from the motherboard is where we will grab the audio signal from.

I used some heat shrink here to insulate both ends of the blue wire and one end of the red wire coming from the RF unit. Do not insulate the other piece of red wire coming from the motherboard as this we will need later

Now is a good time to drill the RCA connector holes in the back of the console. I use a ruler and mark out in texta 3 points all 1.5cms apart. Ensure that you drill a pilot hole first cause a lot of these older consoles are very brittle and can

crack the casing if you just jump right into drilling the full size hole

Screw in your RCA connectors

We need to remove the following resistor as we need to replace this with the 3.3K resistor mention earlier. This is labeled as R140 on the board

Flip the board over and look for the two ends of the resistor. Using a solder sucker or solder wick remove the solder

This is another picture of the board with the resistor removed

This is the underside of the board with the resistor removed

Here I have now installed the 3.3K resistor in the spot where we just removed the resistor.

Now to start soldering the wires from out circuit to the mother. we will start with 5volts. You can grab it from this point

Here you can see where that point is a little better and also where I mounted the circuit

Next we need to attach the next wire to the contact of the 2N3904 transistors collector.

Here you can see a little better where that wire goes

Now attach the next wire to the right side of R156

Here is a closer look at that resistor

The next wire is the audio wire from the circuit. Solder this to the red wire coming from the motherboard that we left earlier

Here is another shot of the audio wire soldered on to the red wire

I used some heat shrink to insulate the wire. You can also use electrical tape.

Next we need to solder the ground wire to any ground point on the motherboard. The entire surround of the motherboard is ground. I just pout some solder on the edge of the motherboard and attached the ground wire there

We are nearly there folks. Now we attach the video out wire to the yellow RCA connector we installed earlier

Now we need to attach the audio output wire to the white and red RCA connectors. I just strip a bit of the wire so it will reach both connectors and feed the wire through the first connector and then solder to both.

Last thing we need is to solder a ground wire to all three of the RCA's. once again just put a blob of solder on the edge of the motherboard and then attach a wire to the RCA's like below.

Put the lid of the colecovision back on. Be careful when doing this as the rest and power switch connectors can snap if not put on correctly. Just give it a jiggle and you will get it on

Now for the moment of truth. Plug everything back in and attach RCA;s from the console to your TV. Cross your fingers and switch on. Ta da!!!

Now go forth and play Cosmic Avenger is super clear composite output!!

It seems like a lot of work but if you have everything ready such as the circuit it can be done fairly quickly. Ensure that you double and triple check your circuit and you should be good to go.

Now everyone get out your RF Colecovisions and start modding!!

State
    Hobart
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Just need an S-Video Coleco mod now

Seriously though the Coleco has a great AV picture.

State
    Point Cook
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

I would love S-video on this coleco but don't think it is possible. I know with the US version you can get these custom AV boards that output component. Nothing for the PAL market though. I have done a few of these and are extremely happy with the results.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Nice detailed instructions and photo wise

Would love to have a steady hand to be able solder

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    Thanks mamejay that was very helpful.

Thanks for putting that together and posting it.

State
    Point Cook
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

No worries guys. Hey Shane. This one is a lot easier than doing a 50/60Hz mod on a mega drive. Not much fine work on this one. Take your time and you can do it!!

State
    Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Epic!!

Hey yo!!!
    I was looking all over for find something like this!!! there is a only a few tutorials for Pal mod..
    I did it, and works gorgeous well!!!!!!!!!!
    You are great man !!!!
    Thanks a lot!!!
    My best wishes for you, from the other side of world!!

State
    Point Cook
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AMK View Post
    Hey yo!!!
    I was looking all over for find something like this!!! there is a only a few tutorials for Pal mod..
    I did it, and works gorgeous well!!!!!!!!!!
    You are great man !!!!
    Thanks a lot!!!
    My best wishes for you, from the other side of world!!
    Good Stuff! Glad someone still needs this information and is works!! I have also been advised that the AV mod works with an Atari 2600 add-on and gives great results

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamejay View Post
    I have also been advised that the AV mod works with an Atari 2600 add-on and gives great results
    Be interested to see how that works - any guides out there on how to get this to work with the 2600? Been looking for an alternative to the basic "resistor kludge" mod for the 2600, and I need to practice my circuit building anyway (right @Roxbury? )

State
    Bridgend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks to Photobucket this amazing thread may be lost - does anyone have the pics and the ability to rebuild it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information