Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

*** WORLD VIDEO GAMING CHALLENGE - TWIN GALAXIES - submit your scores ***

OOO

I don't really follow what is happening on TG but thought this might be of interest to those that do.

Believe me, anyone who does follow what is happening on TG has heard about it and is sick to death of hearing about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Still going....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123764[/ATTACH]

I've got several scores from last year still going through adjudication. My understanding is that the process is not a one size fits all, and it takes into account more than just have X people voting yes.

Obviously the more popular games and gamers will get scores through quicker. I'm not sure where SFII fits in popularity among the current TG community.

I've got several scores from last year still going through adjudication.

Oh, yeah adjudication takes forever now. I was just commenting that we are still pushing this game higher. I think 1.65 might be possible now.

Oh, yeah adjudication takes forever now. I was just commenting that we are still pushing this game higher. I think 1.65 might be possible now.

Sorry, I thought you were pointing out that the scores STILL aren't adjudicated :lol

Nice work.

• 2 weeks later...
@Nimmers - I see the score just got pushed a bit higher again. Quite the battle you two have going on.

Yeah this score was expected. I showed him how to do it with my last submission and it would seem he has a lot of time available to grind it out.

Score_analysis.thumb.png.5ccbc8e70dd447b32ed6707b6ecf2d0d.png

-Check out his 1626000 game, he goes to Balrog on 927500 points

-Then on my 1629500 game I go to Balrog on 907500

-So the logical thing for him was to copy my run through the bosses and combine the two best scoring halves of the game - which is what he's done.

-All I need to do is the same and with this I think the game is roughly maxxed out with Ken. No need to avoid/feel bad about copying strats anymore.

Have a look at the way Vega is fought in all three games, his latest one he has copied my strat for consistently knocking off the claw for the 10k bonus almost exactly. He actually didn't know that trick, which is weird for a guy with 30+ Street Fighter 2 records. As you can see here. I think he suspected something untoward was happening until someone clued him in.

I've only been a member of TG for 9 months so this is the first score chase I've done. From my experience, I am not sure I like score chasing under TGSAP. I think it would have been more fun for me as a player to have all information hidden from the other guy. But from a communal "let's see how high the score can go" then TGSAP is pretty good.

Yeah this score was expected. I showed him how to do it with my last submission and it would seem he has a lot of time available to grind it out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]124329[/ATTACH]

I've only been a member of TG for 9 months so this is the first score chase I've done. From my experience, I am not sure I like score chasing under TGSAP. I think it would have been more fun for me as a player to have all information hidden from the other guy. But from a communal "let's see how high the score can go" then TGSAP is pretty good.

It's a bit of a double edged sword TGSAP. I understand both sides of the argument, and games where it can be maxed out, well copying someone else's hard work is not really in the spirit as far as I'm concerned. But that is the system we have, and a lot of the disputes now raising their ugly heads, the old referee based system wasn't working anyway.

Having said that, the games that I consider myself "okay" at I pretty much learnt as a kid from watching other people play. Considering there aren't arcades like there was in the 80's to watch others play, is watching someone else's game play okay? Is it only okay to watch them while they live stream but not watch back replays? Is it okay to download INP files and study them? Is it okay to use save states to better your play?

Plenty of people take whatever advantages they can get to learn and beat high scores - I'm fine with that, I'm happy to just watch others play or learn myself in most cases. I don't hold anything against those who want to learn that way, for the most part it's not my cup of tea - each to their own. I guess at the end of the day, it would be nice if players did at least acknowledge when they have learn a new strat from another player, particularly if they are in direct head to head competition at the same time as you are.

It's a bit of a double edged sword TGSAP. I understand both sides of the argument, and games where it can be maxed out, well copying someone else's hard work is not really in the spirit as far as I'm concerned. But that is the system we have, and a lot of the disputes now raising their ugly heads, the old referee based system wasn't working anyway.

Having said that, the games that I consider myself "okay" at I pretty much learnt as a kid from watching other people play. Considering there aren't arcades like there was in the 80's to watch others play, is watching someone else's game play okay? Is it only okay to watch them while they live stream but not watch back replays? Is it okay to download INP files and study them? Is it okay to use save states to better your play?

Plenty of people take whatever advantages they can get to learn and beat high scores - I'm fine with that, I'm happy to just watch others play or learn myself in most cases. I don't hold anything against those who want to learn that way, for the most part it's not my cup of tea - each to their own. I guess at the end of the day, it would be nice if players did at least acknowledge when they have learn a new strat from another player, particularly if they are in direct head to head competition at the same time as you are.

The whole "monkey see, monkey do" argument was an issue back when I was submitting to TG on a regular basis. On one hand I can watch multiple people get DK killscreens or a perfect Pacman (and I have) but I'm not reproducing that without a LOT of effort. The flipside is (as I've said before on here) I learnt to play Burgertime due to a JD Lowe walkthrough on the old TG site and following his advice to watch an INP. If I hadn't done that I'd still be in the 20K region instead of 2 million plus. At the time someone on the TG forums was making a lot of noise about people copying patterns so apart from a 1 life challenge on a site best left unmentioned, I think 1 game on Retro Uprising and 2 MGL's (and the first submission in MGL 14 wasn't easy. A bit of a "moral dilemma") I've never submitted to TG or MARP even though JD Lowe told me face to face when we met at Funspot to submit something. When I finally pull my finger out and get TG verified I probably will.

At some point in the past when all I was submitting was MAME the old TG allowed you to download INPs as long as the player was willing to allow it. I always allowed mine to be public and sometimes it was frustrating not being able to see an awesome performance but to a degree I can understand why. Something I'd love to see is any one of Lexmark's Best Zookeeper games but apart from 1 brief 30 million jump clip on youtube only Mark at CAGDC and maybe 1 other person will ever see those games. They'll never be on TG due to wanting to keep some things secret. His call so fair enough.

Anyway that's enough of my drunken ramblings for tonight. Opened a bottle of Johnny Walker Green Label that my Dad won in 2009. It was 15 years old then. Very tasty :tequila:

• 1 month later...

Well it's big news on the world stage ... Andrew Barrow is the Score Wars Pro Galaga World Champion in 2018 ...

K6tWDvf.png

xQhI5TB.png

1hXRayd.png

9y3G5JB.png

LJd58QS.png

kn9qo1z.png

ro5utPz.png

xntibkA.png

1aWAFKd.png

pDSp6ZM.png

Congratulations from everyone at AA!

:)

Edited by OOO

Thanks Paul! As you can imagine I’m on a bit of a CAG-high after the competition. Hoping I get time to grind some scores out on other games in the coming months :)

Great write up by TG as well. I met TJ and he was really enthusiastic about the whole thing. Really great to see their presence out there among the Classics, not just the modern stuff :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Thanks Paul! As you can imagine I’m on a bit of a CAG-high after the competition. Hoping I get time to grind some scores out on other games in the coming months :)

I've said on here in the past that your overall ability to master any game you really want to is right up there with the best classic gamers out there. Yes I've had 5 top 10 finishes in the old Funspot tournaments but when push comes to shove I can only dream of having your skill.

Loved watching the finals and thankfully didn't disturb the neighbours celebrating your win. Trust me I was a bit loud :lol

*** WORLD VIDEO GAMING CHALLENGE - TWIN GALAXIES - submit your scores ***

Thanks @RMacauley really appreciate your comments however disillusioned they are :lol

Glad to hear you were watching! Have only just skimmed the replays and the amount of support was outstanding. Was really something special

Hopefully they do more of these. I know Robotron was talked about a lot but we’ll see.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Edited by Barra

I checked in just before the first round of finals and came back on just before the final match. Saw you doing commentary and thought "oh f... what's happened" then realized I was watching the 3rd place playoff. Watched your semi final match later that day. I wasn't in the chat room but I probably will next time. You've got a title to defend and when you do I'll be cheering you on

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/186014-Arcade-Street-Fighter-II-Hyper-Fighting-Points-Tournament-Settings-1-536-100-Evan-Weston

Heh vote before it gets copied and beaten.... I must be the unluckiest guy on there. I break the WR but because the process takes so long I never actually hold a record because the other guy has time to grind out a better score, submit and get his accepted quicker than mine get adjudicated :/

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/186014-Arcade-Street-Fighter-II-Hyper-Fighting-Points-Tournament-Settings-1-536-100-Evan-Weston

Heh vote before it gets copied and beaten.... I must be the unluckiest guy on there. I break the WR but because the process takes so long I never actually hold a record because the other guy has time to grind out a better score, submit and get his accepted quicker than mine get adjudicated :/

You can look at it a couple of ways I guess:

1. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

2. Learn your own strats you arsehat and stop copying me :P

3. At least you have someone competing against you - it's no fun when there is no competition :(

You can look at it a couple of ways I guess:

1. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

2. Learn your own strats you arsehat and stop copying me [emoji14]

3. At least you have someone competing against you - it's no fun when there is no competition :(

No one likes bump n jump john. It's all about bongo now

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Some people were complaining they should provide certificates at TG again. Well here they are ... so stop complaining ... now for a special price of USD99 a pop.

Or 1,980 submission points, yes that's click everything as accepted to save you money. What a bargain! As you can see I have in the coffer 44 submission points.

Nq4kPLt.png

Now guessing here 96 x 99 = up to max USD9,504.00 in revenue so far. Who bought one at AA or paid in submission points?

Edited by OOO

• 3 weeks later...
@Nimmers - I see the score just got pushed a bit higher again. Quite the battle you two have going on.

We have a new entrant into this intense SF2:CE battle with a local Brisbane player, DJ, getting incredibly close to Evan and Chris' awesome scores. DJ is currently at 1,599,000, however I appreciate that every inch forward from here is a mile in terms of maxing out the score. Just so good to see the friendly rivalry continuing and two Aussies in the mix! :-D

We have a new entrant into this intense SF2:CE battle with a local Brisbane player, DJ, getting incredibly close to Evan and Chris' awesome scores. DJ is currently at 1,599,000, however I appreciate that every inch forward from here is a mile in terms of maxing out the score. Just so good to see the friendly rivalry continuing and two Aussies in the mix! :-D

Great stuff.

Hoping I can catch up with you in a week or two on a weekend if you're available to talk about setting some scores for Twin Galaxies and running some information days about submitting to TG.

Great stuff.

Hoping I can catch up with you in a week or two on a weekend if you're available to talk about setting some scores for Twin Galaxies and running some information days about submitting to TG.

That would be great. Where possible, all our machines are set matching TG settings so people can play for scores any time. We also have tripods and camera stands available for record WR attempts.

I'm normally only at the arcade every Wednesday, but if you have a day in mind that you're coming down let me know in advance so I can meet you there.

It would be great to have an information session on submitting scores to TG, as it's something I don't have enough personal experience with yet and would be awesome to have someone with experience come and share. We have a few high scorers now at the arcade, and a '1UP Arcade Masters' t-shirt for those who set a record. We've already had three players set world records at the arcade, with a few more WR scores pending. I have 3 records myself, but haven't been able to submit them through TG yet.

I held a High Scoring Workshop last year, which covered strategies for play and reducing the practice required to set high scores, and it would be great to run this again sometime, perhaps with a special guest WR holder.

Also, if you can make a Wednesday night, we have a High Scorer's meet-up the first Wednesday of every month, so that would be a good time to come down also.