Page 3 of 197 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: *** WORLD VIDEO GAMING CHALLENGE - TWIN GALAXIES - submit your scores ***

State
    King Island
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)

Hey john i wonder if your in this new book about zoo keeper the arcade game,dont know what these books are like but their are a lot of them popping up on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zoo-Keepe...item41600d3f01

Not sure what the go is with those books, they are printed "on demand".. "contains articles taken from the internet"

john

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1197 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Mark Alpiger
    "But, let me note that this is one of the greatest arcade accomplishments of not only the modern day, but of all time, since no one has ever documented even a single 30M jump, much less shown that they have developed a method for a nice level of consistency. Incredible job, John !"
    Mark Alpiger is a well respected authority on classic games.
    For him to make that statement, says a lot about the achievement.

Here's a close up of the superb artwork marquee of that great game:

I wonder if John's cab looked as good as the one below (I don't think so)?
    In Oz, unfortunately we did not get any dedicated cabs of Zoo Keeper as far as I know, unless someone personally brought one in.

Photo courtesy of Visy - his trip to Funspot

The game is one of the classics. An Australian tops the WR chart for ZK MAME, and will soon earn even more recognition for the Arcade ZK WR.
    And we know it before TG will verify the score (thanks and congrats John)!

Now to find other champions or future champions, whether they have already achieved it or not, but more likely, all you out there playing now can do it, whether you finish from 1 to 50 .......
    It took John 3 years and hard work to get a good score, and I am certain many out there can do it too.

The search and challenge continues .......

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Bugger this thread, it's already got me looking at TG scores i can beat and i have not done that for years, I don't have time, somebody stop me
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1197 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Bugger this thread, it's already got me looking at TG scores i can beat and i have not done that for years, I don't have time, somebody stop me
    I remember you said gaming needs to be fun, we'll you're spot on.
    So maybe, the next few times you're having fun, why don't you record the game in MAME or take a vid?
    Send into TG and you'll have that cert you said you wanted.

I know everyone at AA would like to see you do well and score a record!
    Help the Aussie team if you can. If you don't have the time now, maybe later?

PS: We'd all like to see your cert on the thread.
    PS extra: Asteroids is cool. Are you a rat or a triangle?

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    I fired up a couple of games tonight to see how I fare compared to the TG record holders (and it isn't good)

I'm going to keep trying, and I think when I'm within the top 10 of my chosen games I'll submit them and then try to improve over time

Games I'm going to concentrate on are:
    1. Donkey Kong (don't care if I'm top 10 in this one - pretty good field)
    2. Gyruss
    3. Time Pilot
    4. Pac 'n Pal
    5. Hyper Olympics (need to get the Cab going for this one, impossible to beat high scores using a keyboard)
    6. Bombjack

Donkey Kong really is the holy grail of all games. I really want to get to the kill screen one day, but lots of practice still required. Would be good if AA'ers would all record DK scores and submit them, be nice if an Aussie could get in the top 5 or so, or even better, take #1 (yeah I know it's a massive ask). If anything could convince Walter to bring an international comp. to Australia it would be if an Aussie was the best DK player in the world

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1197 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post
    I'm going to keep trying, and I think when I'm within the top 10 of my chosen games I'll submit them and then try to improve over time
    Sounds like a great plan, because I am sure you will achieve it if you stick with it and improve your skills.
    Each game requires different techniques and strategies.
    Like any sport, practice and determination makes a huge difference.

Good thing is when you are going for a record, you are up against the rest of the world.

The 6 you picked are gems of the classics.
    Enjoy them all and see how you go.

Here's the Time Pilot marquee .....

And the scoring guide for Time Pilot, so you know what to hit when you record a good score......

We need more goers like yourself to improve the Aussie standings in the world of video gaming (and fly the AA flag)!!!!

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Rat fires up wolfmame0.106 but it could be quite awhile before I submit, I have many distractions, family, work, and I'm enjoying playing my TSPP pinball in spare time. Also gaming comes second to mountain bike riding/racing, I spend 10 - 12hrs a week riding and training.

But there are a few games that I have beaten the TG records on in the past, I just have to play enough to achieve my old scores and record and submit them, so some time in the first half of next year I guess, but maybe sooner.
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Rat fires up wolfmame0.106
    Can you tell me if your games run in full screen? I asked in the mame forum a while ago, but didn't get any answers on how to make it full screen. Beginning to think it's not possible.... or that it could be a result of using a widescreen monitor. Playing with mame .141 works fine, just not wolfmame/mame .106

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Options/default game options/display check enforce aspect ratio (make sure you have Draw every frame selected for frame skipping - TG requirement) then on the Advanced tab check Stretch using hardware.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Options/default game options/display check enforce aspect ratio (make sure you have Draw every frame selected for frame skipping - TG requirement) then on the Advanced tab check Stretch using hardware.
    I have mucked around with all those settings and didn't have any luck. I'll give what you say a go, hopefully it works. It's hard when you are used to playing full screen and then trying for a record on a shrunk down version

-----

Yep, that's what I've got it set to. I think it might be something to do with the widescreen monitor Might have to hook up an old CRT and see what happens.

Page 3 of 197 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information