Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The Cricket Thread

DKong

From wikipedia, which is by no means the ultimate source on this:

Michael Atherton, 1994

In the "dirt in pocket" affair, then England captain Michael Atherton was accused of ball tampering during a Test match with South Africa at Lord's in 1994 after television cameras caught Atherton reaching into his pocket and then rubbing a substance on the ball. Atherton denied ball tampering, claiming that he had dirt in his pocket which he used to dry his hands. He was also accused of lying to the match referee. Atherton was summoned to the match referee and was fined £2,000 for failing to disclose the dirt to the match referee.[4]

Waqar Younis, 2000

Waqar Younis of Pakistan became the first player to receive a suspension for ball-tampering after a match in July 2000, and was fined 50% of his match fee.[5][6]

Sachin Tendulkar, 2001

In the second Test match of India's 2001 tour of South Africa, at St George's Park, Port Elizabeth, match referee Mike Denness suspended Sachin Tendulkar for one game in light of alleged ball tampering.[7] Television cameras picked up images that suggested Tendulkar was scuffing the seam of the cricket ball, though Tendulkar he claimed he was actually just removing the piece of grass stuck in the seam of ball.[8]

The incident escalated to include allegations of racism, and led to Denness being barred from entering the venue of the third Test match. Subsequently, the International Cricket Council revoked the status of the match as a Test as the teams rejected the appointed referee.

The charges against Tendulkar, and Virender Sehwag's ban for excessive appealing, triggered a massive backlash from the Indian public.

The ICC later cleared Tendulkar of ball tampering charges.[9]

Rahul Dravid, 2004

Rahul Dravid of India coughed a lozenge on the more shiny side of the ball at Brisbane during a Australian Tri-Series match against Zimbabwe. India won the match, but footage emerged of Dravid tampering with the ball, and he was fined 50% of his match fee.[10]

England cricket team, 2005

Marcus Trescothick admitted in his autobiography, Coming Back to Me, that he used mints to shine the ball to produce more swing: "It was my job to keep the shine on the new ball for as long as possible with a bit of spit and a lot of polish. And through trial and error I finally settled on the type of spit for the task at hand. It had been common knowledge in county cricket for some time that certain sweets produced saliva which, when applied to the ball for cleaning purposes, enabled it to keep its shine for longer and therefore its swing." He found Murray Mints worked the best.[11]

The admission came 3 years after the conclusion of the 2005 Ashes series, in which England beat Australia 2–1.

Pakistan cricket team, 2006

Main article: Ball tampering controversy in August 2006

In 2006, an alleged ball-tampering issue overshadowed a Test match between Pakistan and England, whereby Pakistan refused to take to the field for the evening session after being penalised for ball-tampering in the afternoon. Television cameras caught the umpires discussing the condition of the quarter seam.[12] Pakistan are believed to have intended a protest against the decision by delaying their return after tea; however, while they were refusing to play, the umpires awarded the game to England in accordance with the laws of cricket.[13]

The controversy arose when the umpires, Darrell Hair and Billy Doctrove, ruled that the Pakistani team had been involved in ball tampering. They awarded five penalty runs to England and a replacement ball was selected by England batsman Paul Collingwood. Play continued until the tea break, without any Pakistani protest. After the tea break, the Pakistani team, after having agreed amongst themselves that no ball tampering had taken place and given consideration to the severity of the implication, refused to take the field. The umpires then left the field, gave a warning to the Pakistani players, and returned once more 15 minutes later. After waiting two more minutes the umpires removed the bails and declared England winners by forfeiture. A deal was brokered between the English and Pakistani cricket boards to allow the match to continue, and the Pakistani team did take to the field 55 minutes after the umpires first took to the field for the resumption of play. Hair and Doctrove, however, declined to continue the game maintaining their decision that Pakistan had forfeited the match by refusing to play.

The impasse continued late into the evening.[14] Pakistan captain Inzamam ul-Haq claimed that Darrell Hair did not inform him or the rest of his side of the reasons why the ball was replaced, and that Hair had implied that Pakistan were cheating.[15] At 19:50 UTC it was finally announced at a press conference that the Test was called off. The ECB's statement said that England were awarded the match by the umpires as Pakistan refused to take the field after being warned that under law 21.3, failure to do so would result in them forfeiting the game. This is the first time a Test match has been decided this way.[16]

The England and Wales Cricket Board refunded fourth-day spectators 40% of their ticket price (after deduction of an administration fee), and gave an automatic 100% refund to those with tickets for the fifth day. It later asked the Pakistan Cricket Board to pick up the £800,000 costs of doing this, which the PCB refused to do. In March 2007, the PCB and ECB reached a settlement where Pakistan would play a Twenty20 International in England and waive their fees.

As a result of Pakistan's forfeiting of the game, Inzamam was charged and found guilty of "bringing the game into disrepute", though he was cleared of the charges relating to "changing the condition of the ball".[17] In January 2008, Pakistan's cricket board asked the International Cricket Council to change the official result to "match abandoned" or "match drawn" on the basis of having been subsequently cleared of ball-tampering by an ICC tribunal.[18] In July 2008, the International Cricket Council (ICC) changed the result of the match to a draw,[19] though in October 2008 the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) released the statement "The ICC has no power under the laws of cricket to decide that results should be altered, whether it feels it's ‘inappropriate’ or otherwise," [20] The decision also angered former players including Michael Holding who at the time was a member of the ICC cricket committee. Holding felt that Pakistan's refusal to play should not go unpunished even though they were not guilty of ball-tampering,

"I have just written my letter of resignation to the ICC cricket committee because I cannot agree with what they've done," Holding said while commentating for Sky Sports during a domestic match in England. "That game should never, ever be a draw. When you take certain actions, you must be quite happy to suffer the consequences."

On 1 February 2009, the ICC reversed their earlier decision, and changed the match result back to a win for England.[21]

James Anderson and Stuart Broad, 2010

In January 2010, England bowlers Stuart Broad and James Anderson were accused of ball tampering by rubbing the ball on the ground with their spikes in the third Test Match against South Africa.[22] Broad maintained that he was just being lazy, because it was 40 degrees Celsius in Cape Town that day.[22] Andy Flower said in his defence that "the scoreline suggested that there was obviously no ball tampering."[23] Nasser Hussain, who had captained Anderson, said: "Stuart Broad and James Anderson were wrong to behave in the manner they did and I've no doubt that if a player from another country did the same we'd have said they were cheating."[24] No charges were formally placed by South Africa even though they made the accusations at a press conference.[25]

Shahid Afridi, 2010

Shahid Afridi, standing in as the Pakistani captain, received a two T20 international match ban for ball-tampering in a match against Australia in January 2010. He was caught on camera biting the cricket ball in a bizarre attempt to readjust the seam of the ball. The ball was eventually replaced.[26][27][28][29] He told the Hindustan Times that he was trying to smell the ball[30] but he pleaded guilty for ball tampering.

Australia vs Sri Lanka, 2012

In the first Test, Sri Lanka notified match referee Chris Broad that Australian bowler Peter Siddle may have been raising the seam of the ball during Sri Lanka's first innings. Peter Siddle collected 5/54. He was later cleared by the ICC.[31]

Faf du Plessis, 2013

While fielding on during the third day of the second Test, in Dubai, cameras captured footage of South Africa fielder Faf du Plessis scuffing the ball against the zip on his trousers. The on-field umpires penalised South Africa by adding 5 runs to Pakistan's total, and changing the ball.[32] The match referee imposed a 50% match fee fine on du Plessis after the fielder pleaded guilty, although the team manager Mohammad Mosajee maintained that penalty was "harsh", and the team decided not to challenge to finding as it may have led to heavier sanctions. Despite the "guilty" plea, team vice-captain AB de Villiers maintained that "we are not cheats" and team captain Graeme Smith denied that their participation in ball tampering tainted the series-levelling win as South Africa went on to record an innings-victory during the Dubai test, to tie the series 1-1.[33]

During the same match, footage of South African medium-pace bowler showing Vernon Philander apparently scratching the ball with his forefinger was also brought under scrutiny, but ultimately was not considered by the match referee to have constituted any illegal ball-tampering.

South Africa vs Sri Lanka, 2014

For the second time in nine months, the South African test side found itself in a ball-tampering scandal, this time with medium-pace bowler Vernon Philander found guilty of tampering with the ball during the 3rd day of the Galle test against Sri Lanka in 2014.[34] Philander was found to have breached clause 42.1 of the Laws, "scratching the ball with his fingers and thumb", and was fined 75% of his match fee. South Africa were to go on and win the test by 153 runs.

This incident followed speculation by Australian test batsman David Warner in February 2014 over the South African team's practices in altering the state of the ball during Australia's tour to South Africa. Speaking to Sky Sports Radio, Warner commented the South African fielders' more "obvious" use of throwing the ball into the ground on return throws after fielding, and South African wicket-keeper AB de Villiers' habit of getting "the ball in his hand and with his glove wipe the rough side every ball."[35] Warner was later fined 15% of his match fee for the comments he made, under an ICC Code of Conduct breach.[36]

South Africa vs Australia, 2016

Another South African was charged with ball tampering on 18 November 2016 after their victory in the second Test against Australia in Hobart. Proteas skipper Faf du Plessis was alleged to have tampered with the condition of the ball after TV footage appeared to show him applying saliva onto the ball from a mint or a lolly. The charge was made by the ICC, although Cricket Australia did not file a complaint.[37] Du Plessis was found guilty of ball tampering on 22 November and fined his match fee from the second Test.[38]

First time I saw the footage I could see it was sandpaper, when he said it was tape and he put a bit of sand on it, I thought bullshit, have you ever tried to keep sand on tape?, the glue is not that good on any tape, anyway how could you keep it sticky in your pants pocket unless you still had it on the roll.

classic tweet from Michael Vaughan

Steve Smith I think is a good guy who made a huge mistake ... He needed punishing but I think this is too harsh ... Bancroft who I don’t know was led astray but deserved punishing but again too harshly IMO ... The other guy I really don’t care about ...

• Administrators

If the statements made are correct then Steve Smith shouldn't be captain anyway. He displayed zero leadership when confronted with the potential issue. He should have said not on my watch and denied them. IF he can't make a very simple, basic call like that then he is no leader.

Brad

If the statements made are correct then Steve Smith shouldn't be captain anyway. He displayed zero leadership when confronted with the potential issue. He should have said not on my watch and denied them. IF he can't make a very simple, basic call like that then he is no leader.

Brad

Exactly what Smith's involvement was has still not been made clear. He was quoted as saying "What are you blokes up to? Oh, I don’t want to know", but there was no context given. Was this in the middle of the break or just as the team was heading back out? Did Warner answer the question? What had Smith actually seen? For all we know it could have been said after seeing Warner demonstrate how to put sandpaper into his underpants. There has still been no unequivocal statement about what he knew or didn't know. Also, there have been vague suggestions about Warner's previous behaviour and possible insubordination. What had happened and what had Smith done about it? Had he been ordered by team management or CA to allow Warner a long leash?

I'm actually surprised CA have been as strong as they have, I was expecting a token one or two match ban. Still don't think they were hard enough on Bancroft, and I'm sure Smith and Warner's suspensions were primarily influenced by the schedule (conveniently, they're both free to play the World Cup and the Ashes), but finally Sutherland has decided to show some leadership. Not expecting it to last long though.

I am not into cricket ..

After seeing The interview with Cameron Bancroft saying that he has virtually gave up his spot on the Australian team for free..

This clown should not have the privilege to play for Australia again ..

Is he that arrogant ??

he was humble but then said he gave his spot up for free several times ..

Really he plays a sport our politicians do this every day and are not dragged over hot coals like this. Seriously lets put it into perspective. Big deal move on leave the kid alone he has been handed a massive punishment as the crime does not fit the time.

man after watching steve smith's and cam bancroft's press conferences i really feel for both of them.

i also hope that both have full support around them as i would hate to be in their position.

a 12 month ban is just bullshit.

smith took the bullet and bancroft got thrown under the bus.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Not a cricket tragic, but todays cricket is sh!t. bring back the 80's and 90's where the men didn't try to be beckham and posh, where they dont have fireworks on the sidelines and cheerleaders (I like cheerleaders normally), and where the game lasts for more than 2 hours. I'm talkin how much I dont like 20/20....test is still great

We need fireworks and cheerleaders in pinball lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]140446[/ATTACH]

If it wasn't Australia dropping the ball I would have been laughing but think on the bright side, we can't loose, we have the Marsh brothers.:blink::lol

God we must be hard up the those pair of cluster fuks on the team.:realmad:

• Administrators
See? Nothing wrong with the pitch. There's plenty in it for bowlers as long as the batsmen keep playing stupid shots.

Correct, our team is just plain shit. I'd rate Starc, Cummins and Lyon. The rest need to be relegated back to shield. I'd rather lose with new promising players than these dickheads

Brad

Correct, our team is just plain shit. I'd rate Starc, Cummins and Lyon. The rest need to be relegated back to shield. I'd rather lose with new promising players than these dickheads

Brad

Oww good, with all the dead wood out of the team my mother can play, and do better.:lol

You guys are to harsh. Win the toss and bat normally wins the test in Australia. I would drop Finch both Marsh brothers and how is Handscombe even in the mix.

Bring Smith in give Stoinis a go and pick another kid. If we had won the toss India would be in a similar posistion.