Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New console modding guide section.

• Administrators

Hey peeps

I've set up a section dedicated to console modding guides and asked Mamejay to mod it.

Its frustrating for find up to date guides without having to visit several sites so hopefully we can get a good resource going here.

Cheers

AK

Come on guys.

Show the other members what you are made of. I will be doing some mods in the next week and will do some fresh guides with new pictures and hopefully get some of you scaredy cats to crank out your iron's and hit some of your consoles for yourselves.

Come on guys.

Show the other members what you are made of. I will be doing some mods in the next week and will do some fresh guides with new pictures and hopefully get some of you scaredy cats to crank out your iron's and hit some of your consoles for yourselves.

You might lure me in!

Perhaps you could create a detailed tutorial aimed specifically at the absolute beginner. Pick a really simple mod, e.g. perhaps a 50/60Hz switch or something along those lines, and really dumb it down and provide lots of pictures. A tutorial that assumes no knowledge on the users behalf and that covers all the basics, like soldering techniques, how switches work/the different types of switches and which one to purchase for the mod in question.

It's a big ask, I know, but nothing like this exists and it would sure help a lot of people out and help them dive in.

Yeah, awesome to see this thread get up. Would be keen to try some stuff out on some of my spare consoles. If we are already taking requests, I remember someone telling me once NES's could be modded to play both PAL and NTSC carts? If true, that would be a nice one to see ;)

If we are already taking requests, I remember someone telling me once NES's could be modded to play both PAL and NTSC carts? If true, that would be a nice one to see ;)

You can achieve this via an adapter if that does it for you. Games still play in PAL though.

You can achieve this via an adapter if that does it for you. Games still play in PAL though.

Yeah, I just remember a guy in Video Games Heaven (Knox City - VIC) years ago trying to sell me a top loader NES that could play both PAL and NTSC games naively due to a mod (apparently). That's is why I was wondering about the mod. I remember him saying that he wanted $100 for it, sounds like a good price these days.

Erm, the NES mod is probably the simplest mods to knock out region protection - snip a chunky leg on the security IC, bend the leg portion still attached to the IC away from the left-over stuck in the PCB, and you're done. Would take... 5 mins at the most, and that includes disassembly :)

Best practice would be to remove the solder from the PCB, bend the leg and wire it to a GND point.

Good section BTW, will get off my arse and document some stuff, post it on my blog and mirror it here. I have a stack of photos from various mod jobs, just need to write up the tutes to suit. Repaired a Saturn light gun he other week actually - the trigger wasn't registering everytime despite making a clicking noise. Simply had to replace the existing micro switch with a newbie. Works a treat now :)

Erm, the NES mod is probably the simplest mods to knock out region protection - snip a chunky leg on the security IC, bend the leg portion still attached to the IC away from the left-over stuck in the PCB, and you're done. Would take... 5 mins at the most, and that includes disassembly :)

Best practice would be to remove the solder from the PCB, bend the leg and wire it to a GND point.

Good section BTW, will get off my arse and document some stuff, post it on my blog and mirror it here. I have a stack of photos from various mod jobs, just need to write up the tutes to suit. Repaired a Saturn light gun he other week actually - the trigger wasn't registering everytime despite making a clicking noise. Simply had to replace the existing micro switch with a newbie. Works a treat now :)

Cool stuff ML. Now start a new thread with your Saturn Light gun repair log!!

• 3 weeks later...
I was thinking today that it would be cool to see a list of the most popular mods (maybe 2 or 3 for each console?) for all of the popular consoles. That way we can tick them off as the guides are posted for them and for someone like me who is new to the console modding scene, we can get an idea of what is out there straight up? Anyone keen to volunteer? :)

I was thinking today that it would be cool to see a list of the most popular mods (maybe 2 or 3 for each console?) for all of the popular consoles. That way we can tick them off as the guides are posted for them and for someone like me who is new to the console modding scene, we can get an idea of what is out there straight up? Anyone keen to volunteer? :)

Good suggestion Pelly. I have created a sticky now for this with a list of the less complex mods for most popular consoles.

Thanks for the idea mate.