Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Dreamcast Component Output

Hey guys,

I currently have my Dreamcast hooked up to my LCD TV in the lounge room via a VGA box to get the full 480p. However, I would much rather have it sitting in my games room hooked up to my CRT. The CRT I own has component input, but no VGA. I have been doing some reading around to see if it is possible to get the Dreamcast outputting 480p over component. Suffice to say, the results I have read seem inconsistent and confusing.

Pretty much all sites say that a VGA --> Component cables will not work. Most say that you can use a Dreamcast VGA box --> VGA-Component converter box --> Component cables to TV. However, I have no idea what VGA converter box to buy, or even if it will work properly, people seem to have really mixed results. I do not want to spend money to then find out it doesn't work.

The TV I have does 720i, 720p and 1080i over component, so it would be pretty cool if any VGA-Component converter I bought also did upscaling. However, this is not hugely important and would just be a nice addition.

I would love to get the Dreamcast hooked up over component and was wondering if anyone here has accomplished this, or knows how to best do it. I am looking for a cost effective method, less than 100 bucks if possible, 50 bucks would be optimal.

If you have any experience with this, please let me know.

Thanks!

I don't know of any encoders that go from VGA to component. There are plenty that do the opposite though, that is they convert component to VGA but that's not what you need.

You could get a generic Dreamcast VGA box and convert VGA to composite or s-video but once again I doubt that's what you want. S-video is probably the best you'll be able to achieve.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Here you go, found one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STARTECH-COM-VGA2CPNT-vga-component-video-converter-/250859658699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a68669dcb#ht_4289wt_905

Here's another one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Audio-Authority-9A60-VGA-Component-Video-Convertor-/370481918120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56427170a8#ht_500wt_1156

Yeah, found that one myself. I was more wondering if anyone has ever done it and can tell me a converter that works. Heaps of people on the net have had issues trying to convert from VGA to component. I don't want to spend 100 bucks and find out it doesn't work.

Thanks though, I will continue my investigation.

Sorry for the late response - haven't been here for a few days.

If you want component video, one option is to use a RGB to component transcoder, but this will only output a 15k signal, not 480p.

Haven't tried going 480p and above, my CRT is limited to 480i over component.

Good luck!