Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

LGA775 motherboard

Hey guys,

I have been having a crazy problem with my PC. It keeps shutting off randomly.

I have isolated everything and its down to the CPU or motherboard. I don't want to buy another new motherboard in case it is the CPU.

Wondering if someone has a motherboard to suit a LGA775 CPU they want to get rid of.

Message me if you do and we can make arrangements.

Borrowed a PS from a mate and still the same issue.

I actually thought it was a faulty stick of ram as when doing testing I removed one and the system was stable. I replaced both sticks with 4GB DDR3 and the system has been running flawlessly for 2 weeks then it all started again.

Its not OS as it happens even when left on the BIOS screen.

Hmm, I would be taking a look at the cluster of capacitors around the CPU, that or some problem with the heatsinks.

second that!

do you recall what the ambient temperature was when it ewas stable, and the temp when it faulted ?

i have experienced faults occurring at specific temperatures on numerous occassions with various electronic equipment. eg. had a compaq (beige) laptop at work many years ago that would go for about 4 hours then fault. stick it in the freezer 10 mins to cool it, dry off the condensation then use it for 4 hours.

if you're still having trouble, you could try cooling (freezit spray) or heating (hairdryer with a thinner tube) specific areas of the board to try and trip the fault - that may help to hone in on the specific fault (start with the caps!) then cool it in the fridge or freezer then retest and narrow the search. once you can establish a temperature range to trigger the fault (if it is that predicatable of course, no guarantee there of course) you can focus on the part at fault.

This has really killed me. Its not a heat issue. Was monitoring the CPU temp and the highest it would get is about 53 degrees c.

I really think its the motherboard. This sucks as I only brought the motherboard about 5 months ago.

Its getting hard to get cheap 775 MB's with DDR3 support.

The CPU temp is only the temp measured at the sensor, if the sensor is not in the right place or is failing then it will report 53 degrees but the CPU could be approaching 100%. Plus there is also the north bridge chip that needs cooling, usually with a passive heatsink. Check that is properly attached.

What do the caps around the heatsink look like? Any bulgers?