Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

73 Gotlieb King Pin buzzing noise when flippers are operated

Rob1966

Question

I have a 73 gotlieb king pin pinball that i have been restoring, I replaced all the coils and their coil sleeves and the flipper bats and plunger mecanisisms basicilly rebuilding the flippers to make them nice and strong again, however when all this was done I diddnt reall notice a hell of a lot of a difference is this usual on these old machines that they are slow playing compared to the newer games? also when the flipper buttons are depressed the flippers make a buzzing noise continuiously until the flipper button is let go my question is, is this normal for the older games because none of my newer games do the same noise when the flippers are operated, just wanting to know wheather these things are normal or if they are caused by other problems that I am not aware of

any help would be appreciated

cheers Rob

7 answers to this question

EM's run the coils on AC - newer machines use DC voltages.

Remember - you are observing the evolution of pinball first hand....

I would expect some buzz - or you could convert them to DC as per an excellent thread on here.

Did you replace the coil stops, and adjust the end of stroke switches properly? If you have, and the flippers still buzz, plus feel weak, then consider this mod, but consider making some plastic protectors to sit underneath your playfield plastics. http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/42998-EM-Pinball-AC-to-DC-Flipper-Coil-Mod?highlight=

Or switch the power to the high tap on the transformer, you will get more power, but it wont cure the buzz. Mind you, hi-tapping will increase power to all your coils (isnt a bad thing), the above mod will only improve the flippers (way more power, and less buzz). Plus it will allow you to put the playfield on a steeper angle, which will give you a ton more ball speed.

Hi i did adjust the flipper stroke but no i diddnt replace the coil stops at the time i diddnt see any need for it

if they are not burred, rough around the rim on the ends, then no need to change, but yes like Tony said if the plunger isnt firing straight, then you can get buzz, also worn flipper links will cause the same issue

That flipper mod probably works too well. I did it on my Jacks Open machine and it made a massive amount of difference. I ended up de-tuning the flippers via the EOS switch to reduce the power. The flippers are nice and strong without being plastic crackers now.

Not a bad idea to leave some play in the flipper bat shaft as well i.e. it should be able to move up and down a few mm's which will allow the plunger to travel through the coil easily.