Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

LED Kit Install Tips

I recently purchased LED kits for my TSPP and Funhouse from MarcoSpecialties.com. They have finally arrived and now I get to replace all of those bulbs. The packages have a bit of segregation between the bulbs but they aren?t exactly labeled where they should go in the machine.

Do any of you that have already installed LEDs have any hints or tips to make this process go smoother?

That's pretty poor really that you didn't even get a list of what colour/type led goes in what insert etc. ... I mean obviously they have a master list somewhere otherwise how did they know what quantity of what bulbs to include in the kit .. ;)

My advice would be to try Cointaker.com next time . Really reliable with good prices .

I have emailed them to see if they have something to help with the locations.

How about the process of replacing all of the bulbs?

Have you found that it's easier to replace specific colors, locations (above vs. below PF), or bulb types first? Is it best to go one at a time, or have many bulbs in your hand and replace a bunch at once? Is it better to have all lights turned on, or have the attract mode on, or only specific lights on while swapping bulbs? I'm just trying to figure out the best/easiest process to follow to get these in the quickest. Thanks.

DON'T FORGET !!!!

If you've never installed LED's in a pin before then the 555 globes (the wedge base ones ) are polarity sensitive .... what that means is that they have to go in the correct way with the "+" and the "-" the right way or they won't work .. the led's won't be marked but don't panic it's very, very simple . If you put one in and it's not lighting up then just turn the led around the other way .. It also helps to sometimes slightly bend the contact prongs on the led itself out a bit prior to installing for better contact .

I have emailed them to see if they have something to help with the locations.

How about the process of replacing all of the bulbs?

Have you found that it's easier to replace specific colors, locations (above vs. below PF), or bulb types first? Is it best to go one at a time, or have many bulbs in your hand and replace a bunch at once? Is it better to have all lights turned on, or have the attract mode on, or only specific lights on while swapping bulbs? I'm just trying to figure out the best/easiest process to follow to get these in the quickest. Thanks.

Hi mate

I bought a kit from Cointaker for my Roadshow machine - I found that alot of the bulbs did not work or looked silly in the place that was suggested.

I learnt from this and then individually bought LED's from the different suppliers in the USA as they are generally cheaper - it took me a while to see what I liked. The good thing is I know have a fair few LED's and I can chop and change the look of my machines when I want.

Good luck with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got around to installing the LEDs on my TSPP and Funhouse. Man those things looks great now. I really love the cleaner look especially on the greens, blues, and purples. You guys are right, just get in and do it. Don't over think think it.

.. It also helps to sometimes slightly bend the contact prongs on the led itself out a bit prior to installing for better contact .

Yes bend prongs as sometimes it takes 4 goes to get them to work but in the end they look great.

At first I was thinking that the prongs needed to be bent outward away from the stem, but after playing with the first several I realized that they had to be bent sideways along the prong (if that makes sense). By the time I got done with both machines, I was pretty quick at it.

I agree that not all of the LEDs that they suggested were the right ones. I ended up having to move a couple around to make it look right. Fortunately I only had one flasher bulb that was faulty. I still can't get over the look. I love them.

Try some FROSTED BLUE globes from Cointaker in some GI places around the FH game - not ALL the GI just 3 or 4 places around the outer edges - namely under the left shooter ramp and the 2 rear / top corners - this adds an excellent blue glow to the game.

Well, I finally got around to installing the LEDs on my TSPP and Funhouse. Man those things looks great now. I really love the cleaner look especially on the greens, blues, and purples. You guys are right, just get in and do it. Don't over think think it.

At first I was thinking that the prongs needed to be bent outward away from the stem, but after playing with the first several I realized that they had to be bent sideways along the prong (if that makes sense). By the time I got done with both machines, I was pretty quick at it.

I agree that not all of the LEDs that they suggested were the right ones. I ended up having to move a couple around to make it look right. Fortunately I only had one flasher bulb that was faulty. I still can't get over the look. I love them.

Do you have any before and after photos which you can post. Would be good to see the result.

• 3 weeks later...

ppohlman I would be interested to know which kit you bought for TSPP? which ones didn't suit and what you would have changed them for? I'm thinking about doing mine I probably will just do the playfield inserts.

Are the cointaker LEDs top quality? some of the websites have big sales pitches about how their LEDs are better for pinball because they have no flicker etc etc, is that just marketing bullshit?

ppohlman I would be interested to know which kit you bought for TSPP? which ones didn't suit and what you would have changed them for? I'm thinking about doing mine I probably will just do the playfield inserts.

Are the cointaker LEDs top quality? some of the websites have big sales pitches about how their LEDs are better for pinball because they have no flicker etc etc, is that just marketing bullshit?

I bought the kit from MarcoSpec.com. That kit ended up being the kit from Cointaker.com that had everything (playfield inserts, flashers, and GI). I'll have to check my notes as to which lights in the kit were (in my mind) mixed up. I have not really noticed much flicker with their lights. Out of the 250+ bulbs from the two machines, I think there was only 1 bulb that didn't work 100%. I haven't replaced all of the GI lamps yet, but I do really love the lights that they supplied for the "Sky" in the back. They had a combo of blue and white that really lights up the playfield back there.

As I said, I will need to check my notes as to which lights in the kit I would change up. But for the overall look, the cointaker kit is pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...

The attached document is the LED instructions for TSPP from Cointaker.com. Based on their document, there are a few “errors” in the list of LEDs and locations used. Some of these errors include:

• 9-12 should be 170? style bulbs
  • 27-30 should be 170? style bulbs
  • 51 & 52 bulbs are swapped
  • 55 & 56 bulbs are swapped
  • etc…

Instead of listing everything here, I have updated the instructions with what I have found and attached them also. I have not yet replaced all of the GI yet, so I can’t tell you whether that is all correct or not. I know that many people don’t like to put LEDs in the GI, but I will tell you that if you do anything, I would suggest the lights across the back of the machine. The mix of the blue and white lights looks really nice with the sky background and it lights up that area in the back quite well.

The machine is currently at my brother’s house, and I’m waiting for him to send me some pictures. Once I get them, I will post them here.

Simpsons LED Kit - Original.doc

Simpsons LED Kit - Updated.doc