Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Tekken 3 punch button issues

Nuclear Neo

Question

Hey i bought a Tekken 3 board and used a guide on doing a jump wire mod so i did not need to buy a kick harness,

So i followed the guide and on the kick pins i soldered a wire, all the way up to the control panel for the 4th button which is the tekkens kick button, did it for both player 1 and 2. i looped the common wire in my sega astro city onto the extra kick button for player 1 and 2. now upon start up i pressed the kick button for both player 1 and 2 and it worked. But now button 3 for player 1 and 2 wich is the heavy punch dont work (its also the common wire that i looped, that button )

So i removed all the wiring so that no kick hrness/mod existed and now the punch button still doesnt work.

I feel like i've spent hours on just ruining a perfectly working arcade board, that wasnt cheap.

Any ideas? Do the Namco kick harness' have extra wires for the punch buttons, have i blown something up on the board? Anyone know anything i can do or try? - I know its the board because the third button on my cabinet still works on other games, just now tekken 3 i cant do anything with button 3, the punch button. and cause ive unsoldered all the modding/wires for the kick buttons, WHICH DID WORK! and still do with the mod, but just cause i looped this wire from button 3 onto the 4th button to give it power, it now doesnt want to work.

and i hope i've made some sort of sence. I reaaalllyyy want to play this game, and if i had known kick harness' were so easy to come by i would just buy one in the first place. which i still will, can they fix the problem i've got?

Thanks,

Mathew

10 answers to this question

Thanks for the input, i am not too sure exactly what button it is that isnt working, basically on my 6 button sega astro city layout, its the top middle button, 3rd from the left. for both, its basically the button that i looped the common wire from to the extra button for the kick harness. I think its not liked it and stuffed up something on the board, but i dont know what. Are there any things on the board anyone might know that i could look at?

I modded my Tekken 2 board cleanly to get all the buttons working on a 4-button JAMMA harness (i.e. my harness was ready for a Neo Geo) - simply ran wires from the edge of the pads on the extra connector to buttons 3 and 4 for P1 and P2. Simply flipped up the Astro City's cp and re-arranged the buttons. Worked great and meant no extra wires used when swapping in Tekken 2 in my cab. Can post some pics later if you want.

Yeah pics would be great thanks :)

The thing is, my sega astro city jamma harness is designed for 3 buttons, i looped the common wire for a fourth button for player 1 and 2, and then ran wires from the tekken 3 kick/extra connector up to player 1 and 2s kick button. so yes it worked and my character could kick, but this wire that i had looped from button 3 onto button 4 for the kick now doesnt work. and any other game button 3 works, but tekken 3 all the buttons work except this other punch button. Kick works fine

(ive actually unsoldered it all and am back at sqaure one, except now my character wont do one of the punches) - I wanna know if i can fix this by just buying a kick harness? or have i blown something up on the board that'd be to fiddly to fix. If not i'll just sell it i guess and try again, i am having no luck whatsoever with any arcade games :( When i bought tekken 2 ' working ' i recieved it and it started up but it wouldnt accept any credits, the options menu screen flickered. just basically chucked it in with another board i had for sale to get rid of it.

Thanks everyone for your input,

If you've undone all the mods you made to the wiring on the board, and other jamma games work fine on all three buttons...I hate to say it but it sounds like something has been blown on the board.......If it's just straight JAMMA to JAMMA PCB to CAB and the button doesnt work......

yup any other game works fine but the button wont work on the board now, and i only just bought this board a week ago, :'(

My only question is, can it be fixed by buying a kick harness for the thing? Does it have wiring for all of the buttons or something? It definitely sounds like something on the board has blown, sadly i dont know what, and want to know if anyone knows? Otherwise im just gonna sell it of cheap and make a loss, i just cant believe i've had no luck with tekken 2 and now tekken 3.. i hate boards that are exposed and really detailed. I've never had a problem with anything neo geo or cps2.

What was your problem with Tekken 2?

I've got a Tekken 2 board here with a harness, it appears that the harness that I have is only wired for kicks....Not sure if it's the same as Tekken 3.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Here's all you get out of the kick harness.

--- 48-Pin Extra Feature Connector ---
PARTS (TOP) SIDE      |       SOLDER (BOTTOM) SIDE
SPEAKER R (+)       A1|B1     SPEAKER R (-)
                   A2|B2
                   A3|B3
                   A4|B4
KEY                 A5|B5     KEY
                   A6|B6
                   A7|B7
P2 KICK BUTTON 2    A8|B8     P2 KICK BUTTON 1
                   A9|B9
                  A10|B10
                  A11|B11
                  A12|B12
                  A13|B13
                  A14|B14
                  A15|B15
                  A16|B16
GND                A17|B17
GND                A18|B18
P1 KICK BUTTON 2   A19|B19
                  A20|B20    P1 KICK BUTTON 1
                  A21|B21
                  A22|B22
                  A23|B23
                  A24|B24
PARTS (TOP) SIDE      |       SOLDER (BOTTOM) SIDE

I don't quite understand how you've mangled the PCB, though it depends on what you've soldered, if you've broken traces, that kind of thing.

It also comes down to how your Astro City is wired up. My CP is 2-players with 7 buttons per player (i.e. SF-style setup, buttons 1-6 + start button) and made a few tweaks to make it easier to swap boards in/out:

- ALL buttons are on the ground loop from the JAMMA harness, with buttons 4-6 on both players also hooked into the ground loop on the CPS1 and CPS2 connectors. This means all buttons have a ground connection present, handy when swapping between kick-harness games (e.g. SF2) and Neo Geo titles.

- Button 4 on the JAMMA harness can be swapped in/out of any button using separate quick connects. Makes it easy to quickly change button configs for Tekken 2, Neo Geo, JAMMA or SF, etc. I'm aiming to simplify this further by hard-soldering it into the same wires that run to button 4 from the kick harness wiring for P1 and P2 as standard so I don't have to bother with extra quick-connects :P

Thus, running Tekken on my machine is very easy, and following Stu's message above, is wired like so from the 48-pin connector:

A19 >> JAMMA P1 Button 4

B20 >> JAMMA P1 Button 3

A8 >> JAMMA P2 Button 4

B8 >> JAMMA P2 Button 3

To make the connection without impeding the JAMMA harness, solder at the very top of the edge connector pad (i.e. NOT at the edge where the solder pads/PCB end, at the other end where the traces from the PCB meet the pads), as there's normally a few mm from where the JAMMA harness hooks into the edge connector and the end of the pads.

Then under the panel, re-arrange the buttons like so:

[1] [2] [unused]

[3] [4] [unused]

Where 1 = Punch 1, 2 = Punch 2, 3 = Kick 1, 4 = Kick 2.

Give me a couple of days and I'll post some pics.

thanks for all the feedback and help guys

Stu, the tekken 2 board must of had some fault on the board, it would start up but no matter what you did it would not accept any button commands/credits, nothing whatsoever, the same for every cabinet i tried it in. It sometimes would flick onto the options menu with the dipswitch, but the screen would flicker crazy and you'd have to turn it off. You could faintly see the options that you could select but you couldnt control the joystick to do so anywho. It's gone now anyway so i am not bothered by it :)

I'll take some pics of my set up and what i did exactly. I did a very neat and careful job and the kick harness mod worked where my character would kick, just i couldnt punch anymore, and now that the mod is unsoldered and all, i cant punch with one of the buttons for both players, and cant kick either because i got rid of the mod/wires.

So on my Astro city i have that black common wire that runs power to those 3 buttons on each player 1 and 2. I cut that wire that was leading onto button 3, and added another connector so that it could plug into that button, and it could also then plug into the button 4. Which would run the power to the 4th button which would be the kick button. so when the wire from the kick harness dangled all the way up and connected to the 4th button for kicking, it would work. But because i cut that wire on the 3rd button, the black wire - and had it looping over to button 4. Button 3 just wouldnt work anymore on tekken 3. So im thinking there was a disagreement/power issue and it came back and hit the board or something. Because i can plug street fighter 2 in or something and all the buttons work completely fine. Like nothing is wrong whatsoever.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Im a little bit upset because i bought the bought from a member on here, and he gave me a youtube video of what he has done to his board/soul calibur.. similar one anyway, so i just copied the same thing... the points to solder for the kick were correct but it was completely off on the other aspects.. and i did what i thought would be right, just loop the common black wire on button 3 over to button 4 on both sides... but yeah now it doesnt work :(

I feel like the game is in 100% working condition still.. i mean it powers on and you can play, its just your limited to what you can do. You cant do one of the punches, and you cant do the kick either

If i had actually realised that you can get the kick harness quite easily over the net, i would have just bought one :( I just really wanted to play it to its full potential and now yet again i've ruined something ..

Treat it as a learning experience mate, that's all you can do.

It's unusual that the pushbuttons would cause something to flow back to the board, so I suspect your wiring may have been off or the voltage jumped around. Even some stray solder could have bridged something that's causing issues.

Kick harnesses for Sys 11/12 gear can be found from Highway Games; personally, my mod-job took about 5 mins, can be completely desoldered if necessary to restore it back to normal and worked a treat. No idea what video/guide you used, but it shouldn't have caused any issues, unless stray soldered bridged something or the wiring was incorrect off the kick harness connector pads. I didn't realise Highway were selling them when I worked on my Tekken 2 board, but the mod was simple and effective, and meant I didn't have to deal with stray wires in my cab since I could roll everything off the JAMMA harness.

I really do think it was daft of Namco not to use buttons 3 and 4 off a standard harness. Still, would have created plenty of after-market sales on harnesses!