Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mgl13 game 9: Radar scope [finished]

FIRE_POWER has you in his sights with

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/radarscope-tourn.jpg

ROM NAME: Radarscp.zip

DIP SWITCHES:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/radar-dips.gif

Manufacturer: Nintendo

Year: 1980

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

• Joystick: 2-way (left, right)
  • Buttons: 1 [Fire]

Radar Scope Description

Your ship moves horizontally at the bottom of the playfield. Shoot at alien ships in the rows at the top and as they dive-bomb you. Best described as a cross between Space Invaders and Galaxians. Few game sounds, most of which are fairly high pitched, and tend to be annoying after a short time. Hardware Blue-to-Black-to-Blue background generation.

Even more info if you need it @: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9238

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the subject line of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score.

RADAR SCOPE comp closes 7PM August 21st.

GOOD LUCK!

Leaderboard

Brad: 66,050

Pelly: 59,100

kane: 53,150

Spartan: 50,050

Fire_Power: 48,550

DKong: 33,500

Rat: 32,450

John73: 29,100

Foot: 8900

@lien_Zed: 7550

Edited by Jed
Updated title to finished

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazingly I've never played this game, or even knew what style of game it was. Now that I have, I like it.

Same, pretty sure it's the first time I have played it, elements of Juno first in it as well. Good game so far.

0001.png.c7f0b1aa3dbe03ec4fc9a83991998568.png

Amazingly I've never played this game, or even knew what style of game it was. Now that I have, I like it.
There's some interesting history around this game. Nintendo banked a lot of money on it being a success. Shipped heaps of cabinets and the game flopped everywhere.The legendary shigeru miyamoto (the author of radar scope) was tasked with saving a young Nintendo from financial ruin. They put him to work coding a new game that could be used on the radar scope hardware. So what did he come up with ? Donkey Kong :)

What a cool selection :cool:

There's a whole series relating to this game, includes Juno First and a few others.

I though this was a success in Japan, but flopped in the USA, where they had a few warehouses of them lined up. If you like this sort of history stuff, a great read is The Ultimate history of Video Games by Steven Kent. Starts at the fist command line games, goes through the golden age of arcades, Sega, Atari, Nintendo and up to PS2. Lots of quotes and interviews from industry types.

radarscp.png.10a92c378c6f74542227d1baf9085297.png

What a cool selection :cool: There's a whole series relating to this game, includes Juno First and a few others.I though this was a success in Japan, but flopped in the USA, where they had a few warehouses of them lined up. If you like this sort of history stuff, a great read is The Ultimate history of Video Games by Steven Kent. Starts at the fist command line games, goes through the golden age of arcades, Sega, Atari, Nintendo and up to PS2. Lots of quotes and interviews from industry types. [ATTACH=CONFIG]26894[/ATTACH]
Gotta get me that book ! Sounds like a fun read.Thought Juno First would have to be a spiritual successor to this game, they look like brother and sister, just on screenshots alone.

There's a whole series relating to this game, includes Juno First and a few others.

I though this was a success in Japan, but flopped in the USA, where they had a few warehouses of them lined up. If you like this sort of history stuff, a great read is The Ultimate history of Video Games by Steven Kent. Starts at the fist command line games, goes through the golden age of arcades, Sega, Atari, Nintendo and up to PS2. Lots of quotes and interviews from industry types.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26894[/ATTACH]

Sometimes the best hints you get are by looking at other peoples scores: 24,350 afetr 2 patterns compared to my 22,450 after 4 (below). A bit more point pressing required.

22450.png.216de47c9843b4209458e203459a6aaf.png

What is with the starting high score of 7650? How many games had this as the starting high score?

Its a common binary denominator identification in early programming. It basically was a result of low bit code resurrection of particular parameters in very basic codes, which most pre 83 games had.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26894[/ATTACH]

Love knowing about the history of video games, just ordered the book you mentioned from Amazon, can't wait to give it a read.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Its a common binary denominator identification in early programming. It basically was a result of low bit code resurrection of particular parameters in very basic codes, which most pre 83 games had.

Do you a source to back this up? The nerd in me would really like to know more about this. I know a lot of games use binary as it's the basis of computer programming, but I don't see how 7650 fits into any binary pattern :confused:

Do you a source to back this up? The nerd in me would really like to know more about this. I know a lot of games use binary as it's the basis of computer programming, but I don't see how 7650 fits into any binary pattern :confused:

Thats because i made it up:lol:lol:p

You should have been on Star Trek in the Engineering bay, with a sentence like that :lol

Here is my first shot.... I can see how it didn't do well back in the day, it is no Galaga.. Either way very cool to play it as I had never played it before, even though I had read about its history... I always thought owning a red (old Radar Scope) Donkey Kong cabinet would be cool.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26904[/ATTACH]

Just played it........what a truly awful game :confused:

Brad

:lol

I thought exactly the same thing :lol Had a few more games, and it is growing on me a little bit, but it's not the type of game I would have used to many 20 cent coins on if I ever saw it at the arcades.

• Super Moderator
:lol

I thought exactly the same thing :lol Had a few more games, and it is growing on me a little bit, but it's not the type of game I would have used to many 20 cent coins on if I ever saw it at the arcades.

It's growing on me too, like a festering boil I can't wait to get rid of

Seriously, I think I'd rather imitate a Boonga Boonga machine than play this game for two weeks :lol:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boong-Ga_Boong-Ga

Brad

a children's prank popular in Japan where the victim is poked with two fingers in the anal region while distracted. :lol:lol:lol:lol

Current Australia record holder for this game is John Hopoate :lol:lol:lol:lol