Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Review a Game!

Review a Shmups!:

Shmups ("Shoot Them Ups", "shoot 'em ups", shmups, shooters, etc) are bloody great. I love them. The arcade revolution was founded on them. From Asteroids on vector to Space Invaders on raster, everyone's played a shmup at some point.

Folks keep asking me for my opinions on "what are good shmups?". But lets face it, there are so many good ones out there, a short list would never do the genre justice. Plus, I haven't played every shmup out there. I don't think I could.

Shmups aren't dead either. They're still being made by heaps of folks, either for free and fun, or for commercial use on PCs, consoles and arcades.

SO! Let's start an informal "review a shmup" thread. Basic suggested layout is (and change it if you like):

Name: What's it called in English/PAL territories? Did it have other names in Japan/elsewhere?

Manufacturer: Who made it? (and are they still around, or called something different today?)

System: The system YOU are reviewing it on (remembering many shmups get ported to many different arcade and console hardware). Feel free to review it on multiple hardware systems at once, or do a compare-and-contrast (which system had the best version, in your opinion)

Release date: when this particular version was released to the public

Links: Links to other reviews, wikipedia, manufacturers website, pictures and screenshots, or anything that helps us understand the game better.

YouTube: Try and find a YouTube flick that accurately portrays gameplay, sound and video. Plenty of people upload shmup "superplays" to YouTube (perfect runs of shmups for high-score proof), so there's heaps of videos up there to find.

Review: The meat and potatoes. Give it your emotional all. Tell us why you loved it, or why you thought it was complete crud. Tell us how hard/easy it is and whether you think it's best for the seasoned hardcore shmupper or a newbie. Compare it to other shooters of similar style and make recommendations for people to try if they liked this one, and want to try others that are similar.

No hard and fast rules here. Shmups come in all shapes and forms. Oldschool scrolling classics like R-Type and Gradius/Nemesis, newschool manics like DoDonPachi, on-rails like AfterBurner, run-and-gun like Metal Slug, or single-frame like Space Invaders and Galaga.

Arcade, console, computer or mobile phone. Emulator or real hardware. Go nuts. Just let us know which one you are talking about in the review.

I don't care if it's common as mud or rare as hens teeth. Give us your reviews on the greatest genre of all time!

[edit] Sites for inspiration:

Shoot The Core (massive PC shmup database):

http://shootthecore.moonpod.com/

Shmups.com Xenocide Files: Sadly out of date, but a good collection of shmup reviews:

http://www.classicgaming.com/shmups/xenocidefiles.html

Shmup.com: French website dedicated to shmupping:

http://www.shmup.com/

Plasma Blossom: dedicated to lovers of the "manic shooter" sub-genre:

http://www.freewebs.com/ord1000/collectionphotos.htm

Insomnia.ac shmups glossary: What the hell is "manic"? What is "ranking"? How do you "suidice for rank"? Why is "arrange mode" different to "arcade mode"? Find out here:

http://insomnia.ac/archive/glossaries/shooting/

I think the new section is a GREAT idea......i will do shikigami, just not right now.....i'll do 2 and 3, elvis if you want to get your hands on a pc version of 3 lmk.

Heck yeah I do. I'll fire you a PM tomorrow.

If anyone reviews radiant silvergun and makes it out to be the god of shmuppers , Can i personally shoot them?

Heh.

I find Ikaruga to be overhyped too. I mean, I really like the game, and it's damn sexy to look at, but there are much better shmups out there IMHO. I just don't know why people hype up treasure games so much.

Gunstar Heroes was probably their best game ever, if you ask me. I've got it on MegaDrive and PS2 as a part of the "Treasurebox" compilation, and it's a really fun run-and-gun game ala Metal Slug.

Which reminds me, I want to review Gunner's Heaven (aka: Rapid Reload in PAL territories). Total Gunstar Heroes ripoff, but at least they did a good job. If you're going to knock something off, make it a good one. :)

I got off my arse... :lol

I dig the layout mate. All good. I'll get stuck into my usual lunchtime reviewing again. :D

Oh yeah, and if any of you lot have review requests, post them here. If I know my way around the game I'll do my best to review it immediately. If not, then a kind soul will have to take up the challenge.