Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Flash mini resto

I thought i would post some picks of my project that thanks to AA and its generous and helpfull members is well on its way ....1551767021_Picture136.thumb.jpg.29011b9c467ce7f1b8467545d3c8f14d.jpg1841223574_Picture014.thumb.jpg.8cb38960d732c5dbc32df180fc21922c.jpg1951903993_Picture092.thumb.jpg.8eae94a445cae1a48936f6e39f9a25f1.jpg 1668070664_Picture147.thumb.jpg.f88076ac6edc876deb259bc006119a04.jpg1056730629_Picture160.thumb.jpg.f100ec2417053cab83732b74e87fbea9.jpg2003993363_Picture162.thumb.jpg.04e061db344e5f0ae09f52a66dd0ff82.jpgit still has a few issues like the GI lighting doesnt work ? the playfield needs some mylar removal + most of the inserts have sunk with age ( not sure if you can buy these ) but other than that it plays well and im more than happy with it ...special thanks to Fezlar for the backglass , Skybeaux for the headbox , hamo54 and blue 95 for the help changing the headbox over and most of all to my wife for doing the paint touch ups on the headbox ..oh and for putting up with me :redface......Cheers Clarky (the second photo is a before shot showing the old backglass ) Edited by clarky351

... most of the inserts have sunk with age ( not sure if you can buy these ) ...

You can buy a set of decals printed on mylar that has all the clear inserts plus the main Flash centre bit. So you could raise and level the inserts then apply the decals. I think I bought mine from Classic Arcades on their ebay site. It seems pretty good and has stood up to a few hundred (?) games so far with no signs of deterioration.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys ...I'm going to grab a set of those decals for when I remove the Mylar .. I may need it :-) , but it's the actual inserts that are stuffed they have sunk in the center from age , heat etc is it possible to buy new inserts ?

but it's the actual inserts that are stuffed they have sunk in the center from age , heat etc is it possible to buy new inserts ?

Don't know if you can buy them, but I have had some inserts that were in a similar stuffed condition. I removed them from the PF using gentle heat from behind - in fact some almost fell out as they were so cupped and distorted. I flattened them using progressively finer grades of wet and dry and then glued them back in flush withthe pf surface. I used some toothpicks with a spot of silastic as show in the picture to keep them in the correct position and used superglue gell. Then you can use the Flash decals for the numbers and arrow outlines.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26617[/ATTACH]

The Mylar has left the building ! Wasn't that hard realy set the hairdryer to hot and away you go ( nice and slow ) I just have some small areas of glue residue to get off and that is done ... Then to tackle these inserts ... More photos to come .

Update time for those who care ... The G I lighting is now a goer ( only a fuse D'oh ) and the playfield has now been waxed .. Holy poo on a stick batman ! doesn't that make a difference , it's playing fast and 100% now ... This thing isn't going anywhere now :-)

• 1 month later...
Well I inherited this Flash last nite, (thanks Aaron) and tried some eucalyptus oil on the mylar glue. I found that it was tough going until I used it with a magic eraser, the shit just flew off then! The PF needs a good MEing, so killing 2 birds with the one stone really :cool: Found some drop target artwork for Flash amongst my old files, resized it, and printed to sticker paper, which will then be mylared. Will post some pics when she is looking sweet, Aaron did the gutsy move taking off the mylar though! Actually Aaron empty your inbox ;) Edited by Fish Tales

Thanks for the update EB .... I was wondering what happened to this thread. I have a Flash myself and was watching this with interest. I'm still keen on getting a second for a project myself after seeing the great work that gets done by the guys on this forum. Looking forward to more updates! :)

List of things to do, but in no way am knocking Aaron, he did a great job getting Flash together, and mostly working ok, and old machines are old machines! :cool:

Need to address lightboard door, doesnt match-up with backglass properly, and it's a bit tight fitting. Need to rebuild soundboard (sound drops out sometimes), dodgy old caps need to be replaced, plus do the connectors/pins, and replace the volume pot (flaky). Flippers need a rebuild, but no rush, plus still need to sort out the flipper issue, and have a new relay on the way from Homepin. Some of the inserts have sunk or risen, but again no rush to do them. Oh, and quiten down the noisy transformer.

Today removed the last of the mylar glue (think I have), and magic erasered the playfield, went over it with novus as well. It removed some of the ball swirl, but more importantly she is shining really nice. Made-up the drop target decals and put them on, plus addressed the right kicker firing multiple times. I thought this would just be an adjustment, but found the cause to be a broken capacitor that goes across one of the kicker switches (new one to me). It's amazing how magic erasers are to inserts, brings them back to new, so shiny and clear. So it's getting there, but that's half the fun I reckon :cool: Guess it makes sense that I take-over this thread, tells the full story, continuity I spose.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/Gwind/flashyminiresto006.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/Gwind/flashyminiresto005.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/Gwind/flashyminiresto004.jpg

Edited by Fish Tales

Photos look great EB! clarky351 and yourself have done a great job getting it this far. When you cleaned up the playfield (Magic Eraser and Novus), did you strip it right down or did you just clean it with everything in place?

Made-up the drop target decals and put them on, plus addressed the right kicker firing multiple times. I thought this would just be an adjustment, but found the cause to be a broken capacitor that goes across one of the kicker switches (new one to me).

Looks good. The red on the drop stickers brightens them up nicely.

The cap (and resistor) across the kicker switch is typical on WMS special solenoids of this vintage. It's a delay circuit to make the switch look electrically closed for longer than it physically is. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to me on the couple I've either replaced the components or removed completely :unsure

I reckon that Flash is a great candidate for warm white leds in the bonus inserts.

When you cleaned up the playfield (Magic Eraser and Novus), did you strip it right down or did you just clean it with everything in place?

actually I used magic eraser with eucalyptus oil, the glue needed to come off, and I found the ball swirl was coming off really well with it. Later I went over with novus 2, and a rag. Then a quick rub of novus 1 for an extra shine. I didnt remove the plastics, just worked around posts, and worked under guide rails etc. Never done a full strip to magic eraser a PF, not that fussy I guess.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

The cap (and resistor) across the kicker switch is typical on WMS special solenoids of this vintage. It's a delay circuit to make the switch look electrically closed for longer than it physically is. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to me on the couple I've either replaced the components or removed completely :unsure

I reckon that Flash is a great candidate for warm white leds in the bonus inserts.

yeah that kicker fired 3 times without a working cap on it, the new cap took it back to firing once. I wanna led this Flash, agreed warm whites will be the go :cool:

Another issue with this pin, is the piece of wood that supports the backbox is kinda cactus. It has been weakened quite a bit over the years, and allows a fair bit of flex. The backbox can get a decent wobble on it. Did what I could without dismantling the cab, but couldnt improve it enough, the pin needed a new spine. Time for some dodgy, yet effective orthopedic surgery lol Braced the cab to the headbox, with washers and metal plates on the inside. Anyway ugly it be, but job done :cool: I wouldave liked 2 braces, but the boards dont allow the room for it in the headbox. Gottliebs of this era had metal bracing plates standard, allways thought they were a pain until I met this Flash.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/Gwind/terraria008.jpg