Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Attaching images to a thread and using remotely hosted images.

• Administrators

I've seen a few people asking how to upload images to the site or use remotely hosted images (like photobucket) so I wanted to give a brief description on how to do it because it has changed with the last few releases of Vbulletin.

Firstly if you want to insert a image into a thread from a remote source firstly click on the "Insert" icon insertimage.png then look for "From URL" then click on it, then cut and paste your image URL eg

http://www.aussiearcade.com/uploads/IMG_0051.jpg

IMPORTANT

You must untick "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" otherwise it will retrieve the image and store it locally as a attachment and you'll end up with a thumbnail you'll have to click on to enlarge.

Alternatively if you want to store it as an attachment leave it ticked.

Another method is adding the tags%20in%20manually%20yourself.%20A%20URL%20with%20the%20tags%20would%20look%20like%20this%20

Uploading Attachments.

Pretty straight forward, again just click on insertimage.png then make sure "From Computer" is selected then click "Select Files".

Then pick the files you want then click "UPLOAD"

Once uploaded you will see code like

[attachment=60914:name]

Which ends up with a thumbnail like this which you can click on to enlarge once posted.

IMAG0068.thumb.jpg.95290e9eecd38526f20853498b0201a3.jpg

Alternatively when making a new Thread/Post you can put the editor into "Advanced mode" then select "Manage Attachments" and upload from there.

At the top of this window you will see attachments previously uploaded by you in which you can drag and drop to the bottom of the window to put in your post. This is especially handy if you've already attached a pic in a previous thread and want to use it in another or display a pic from your Photo Album. The forum will automatically resize your image.

Don't forget to click "Insert Inline" if you want your pics to display in the post and not at the bottom of the screen.

I've attached an example to what a regular attachment looks like below.

Oh some people have complained the thumbnail displayed in a thread is too small so I am working to increasing its size x2.

Any questions feel free to ask.

IMAG0212.thumb.jpg.bc3c723e76a7a843c3d44fda8c106f9d.jpg

Edited by Arcade King

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

Hey Jeff,

you have your very own Gallery so you could upload there first and then link or insert to any posts. Have at look at the top menu for Gallery and then Your Gallery

Cheers,

Brad

Hey Jeff,

you have your very own Gallery so you could upload there first and then link or insert to any posts. Have at look at the top menu for Gallery and then Your Gallery

Cheers,

Brad

Thanks Brad, never thought of that:redface. I generally just do it via advance and then manage attachments, cheers Jeff:)

Using the forum toolbar buttons always seems to stuff up for me :unsure maybe I'm a goose, but the method I use is;

Put pictures on photobucket - no cost, no load on AA server / resources, probably Photobucket will claim to own my life at some stage but meh it's not worth much anyway.

Then, as I write the thread I type in these tags [/img]

and when in photobucket there is an option to copy the link location with just a click,this goes into the paste buffer and can be inserted in between the IMG tags.

The images then appear in the thread body in full size.

Harder to describe than to do, it it works for me.

• 1 year later...
How do I delete files from the 'File Upload Manager'? I have some photos I forgot to rotate but could see any way to delete them?

Not sure if it can be done via file upload manager.

But how I do it, is to go to "Settings" next to your username at the top, then in the left hand menu click attachments.

In there you can select your uploaded files and delete them.

• 9 months later...
Noob question here - how do I load up a pic as my avatar?

For the life of me I cannot seem to work this out.

Thanks

As above but be mindful of pixel size and overall size of file

• 8 months later...
I can upload and post pics if iam going direct from upload to post but can't post already uploaded pics ie ones that I have had on there for a while. If that makes sense. I get the message drag and drop but can't seem to figure out how to do this. I tick them press this that and the other but can't seem to send/drag them to the bottom for use. Probably something stupid iam not doing but would appreciate some help if possible thanks.

I can upload and post pics if iam going direct from upload to post but can't post already uploaded pics ie ones that I have had on there for a while. If that makes sense. I get the message drag and drop but can't seem to figure out how to do this. I tick them press this that and the other but can't seem to send/drag them to the bottom for use. Probably something stupid iam not doing but would appreciate some help if possible thanks.

Better to upload them to a site like imgur.com and linking directly.

Agreed,

Give up on uploading pictures onto the AA server! Means people have to click on image to see the full size.

For me, I just upload pictures to photobucket, find the image and on right hand side ‘Share Links’ click once on ‘IMG’, this automatically ‘copies’ link and then you can right click/paste link into your post.

Works every time for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Rotate it before you upload

I'm not that bad at pics. The interesting this is in Windows Exploer and Picture Viewer they are rotated the correct way. I tried editing them in paint and saving them again and the same problem occurred. Yep, I'll do it in Gimp or similar next time.