Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mgl13 game 7: Gyruss [finished]

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have mine blue tacked down to the desk:lol Before that, it did go a flying:lol

Nice score by the way:cool:

I use velcro strips on my desk, hold very secure, then just lift joystick off and put keyboard over. Been doing that for about 12 years with my awesome and trusty Namco PSX joystick :)

I use velcro strips on my desk, hold very secure, then just lift joystick off and put keyboard over. Been doing that for about 12 years with my awesome and trusty Namco PSX joystick :)

I thought about velcro......but i do everything on my " Game Station " so to speak. Play games, hit AA, and eat curries:lol So its not really practical for me to establish a dedicated " suck down " on the old desk:(

What is this Namco PSX joystick you refer to? Is it good?

I'm enjoying Swimmer more than Gyruss... the slower pace of swimmer suits me a bit more :) but I fired up for a few more cracks today and managed to get within 1 warp of Earth which I think is a PB for me.

And now a quick word of advice regarding the use of Mame save states, as the topic has come up earlier in the MGL, but also in the Kong-Off, and not really dealt with. (My Bad)

It's always been a no-no of course in the MGL for obvious reasons, for playing and acheiving scores. But just as importantly, the use of save states to practice - this is also a no-no in the MGL. The idea of the MGL is that you play the game as if it was in an Arcade. IE you're walking up to it and inserting a coin. Using save states to practice for eg, just the really hard bits or later levels, gives you an advantage that you would not have got by playing the game in it's natural state.

Coin feeding (continuing) if thegame supports it for practice is OK - as that's the natural state of the machine.

That is all.

3 Hours left for Gyruss, players!

Haven't played this since Monday. Might give it one more go shortly. I hope no one comes out of the woodwork and clobbers my score in the last hour :rolleyes

I can guarantee you that Spartan will. He hasn't posted in a week :laugh:

I'm enjoying Swimmer more than Gyruss... the slower pace of swimmer suits me a bit more :) but I fired up for a few more cracks today and managed to get within 1 warp of Earth which I think is a PB for me.

And now a quick word of advice regarding the use of Mame save states, as the topic has come up earlier in the MGL, but also in the Kong-Off, and not really dealt with. (My Bad)

It's always been a no-no of course in the MGL for obvious reasons, for playing and acheiving scores. But just as importantly, the use of save states to practice - this is also a no-no in the MGL. The idea of the MGL is that you play the game as if it was in an Arcade. IE you're walking up to it and inserting a coin. Using save states to practice for eg, just the really hard bits or later levels, gives you an advantage that you would not have got by playing the game in it's natural state.

Coin feeding (continuing) if thegame supports it for practice is OK - as that's the natural state of the machine.

That is all.

3 Hours left for Gyruss, players!

Also is pausing considered a no-no?:)

Also is pausing considered a no-no?:)

Good point - yes, pausing to catch your breath, have a break etc, is a no-no.

If you're about to crap your pants or something I suppose it's OK :lol

0006.png.492853e5b0f59ead4c5659f232e6d946.png

Last minute improvement. Again this MGL has brought forth a game that I love that I would of otherwise never got into.

I'll be playing this one after the compo is over. I got to Mars, I gotta get to Earth....

My Final Effort: 643, 900

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26887[/ATTACH]

You Bastard :realmad:

:cry:cry:cry:cry

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Good point - yes, pausing to catch your breath, have a break etc, is a no-no.

If you're about to crap your pants or something I suppose it's OK :lol

Haven't you heard of adult diapers for the hardcore mamers?

You Bastard :realmad:

:cry:cry:cry:cry

Geez man, you realy should have seen that one coming... It's not like it hasn't happened before :lol

TIME'S UP!

Thanks to everyone who participated and submitted scores.

Congrats to SPARTAN for taking this one out with another last minute post. Final results are:

1. Spartan: 643,900 - 25 points

2. John73: 638,650 - 20 points

3. Woody: 544,900 - 16 points

4. Foot: 426,900 - 13 points

5. DKong: 307,100 - 11 points

6. wongtoplatex: 280,200 - 10 points

7. Brad: 227,350 - 9 points

8. Jammasized: 220,550 - 8 points

9. Pelly: 207,450 - 7 points

10. Rat: 206,300 - 6 points

11. Fire_Power: 168,000 - 5 points

12. Azathoth: 163,100 - 4 points

13. AdamC: 139,750 - 3 points

14. Kane: 137,550 - 2 points

15. shabu: 100,600 - 1 point

Big Giant Head: 83,400

ED_209: 78,450

new game and leaderboard update soonest!

Geez man, you realy should have seen that one coming... It's not like it hasn't happened before :lol

Yeah I knew it was coming, I thought a couple of people might have squashed me and not by just 5000 pts :(

Well done Spartan.

I played myself out in the first 8 days of Gyruss, and then got side tracked with Swimmer a bit. Even if Spartan had have posted this score days ago, I doubt I would have beaten it. My score was pretty much as perfect game as I've ever played, and a lot more practice will be needed to score 640K+ on a regular basis.

Yeah I knew it was coming, I thought a couple of people might have squashed me and not by just 5000 pts :(

Well done Spartan.

I played myself out in the first 8 days of Gyruss, and then got side tracked with Swimmer a bit. Even if Spartan had have posted this score days ago, I doubt I would have beaten it. My score was pretty much as perfect game as I've ever played, and a lot more practice will be needed to score 640K+ on a regular basis.

It's a great score and a good victory - but I'd like to see scores posted more often, rather than sitting on scores and posting them last minute just for the sake of the win. The fun in the MGL is of the chase, the upping the ante, the chase goes on, etc. but each to their owm, there's no rules on when to submit scores.

In almost 13 seasons of MGL's I doubt there has been a player as all-around good as Spartan, ordinarily, players have their strong and weak games, this is the norm for Arcade games. Not so with Spartan, who seems to have no weaknesses, and is very good at every genre. This is unusual. He's been top 3 in all games except for games where there are crazily high scores in the millions like Bombjack.

So well done Spartan, you are setting a new standard for the MGL I believe, in your all-around ability.