Thread: Mgl13 game 7: Gyruss [finished]

State
    Launceston, Tas
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jammasized View Post
    I'm enjoying Swimmer more than Gyruss... the slower pace of swimmer suits me a bit more but I fired up for a few more cracks today and managed to get within 1 warp of Earth which I think is a PB for me.

And now a quick word of advice regarding the use of Mame save states, as the topic has come up earlier in the MGL, but also in the Kong-Off, and not really dealt with. (My Bad)

It's always been a no-no of course in the MGL for obvious reasons, for playing and acheiving scores. But just as importantly, the use of save states to practice - this is also a no-no in the MGL. The idea of the MGL is that you play the game as if it was in an Arcade. IE you're walking up to it and inserting a coin. Using save states to practice for eg, just the really hard bits or later levels, gives you an advantage that you would not have got by playing the game in it's natural state.

Coin feeding (continuing) if thegame supports it for practice is OK - as that's the natural state of the machine.

That is all.

3 Hours left for Gyruss, players!
    Also is pausing considered a no-no?

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1433 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DKong View Post
    Also is pausing considered a no-no?
    Good point - yes, pausing to catch your breath, have a break etc, is a no-no.

If you're about to crap your pants or something I suppose it's OK

State
    Sydhey
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quoted
    914 Post(s)

Best I can do on Gyruss, great game - I found it hard swapping between Swimmer and this - such different paced games.

gyru0006.png

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)

Still no earth for me this time round
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    My Final Effort: 643, 900

643900.png

State
    melbourne
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

0006.png

Last minute improvement. Again this MGL has brought forth a game that I love that I would of otherwise never got into.

I'll be playing this one after the compo is over. I got to Mars, I gotta get to Earth....

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    My Final Effort: 643, 900

643900.png
    You Bastard

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Good point - yes, pausing to catch your breath, have a break etc, is a no-no.

If you're about to crap your pants or something I suppose it's OK
    Haven't you heard of adult diapers for the hardcore mamers?

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1433 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post
    You Bastard

Geez man, you realy should have seen that one coming... It's not like it hasn't happened before

TIME'S UP!

Thanks to everyone who participated and submitted scores.

Congrats to SPARTAN for taking this one out with another last minute post. Final results are:

1. Spartan: 643,900 - 25 points
    2. John73: 638,650 - 20 points
    3. Woody: 544,900 - 16 points
    4. Foot: 426,900 - 13 points
    5. DKong: 307,100 - 11 points
    6. wongtoplatex: 280,200 - 10 points
    7. Brad: 227,350 - 9 points
    8. Jammasized: 220,550 - 8 points
    9. Pelly: 207,450 - 7 points
    10. Rat: 206,300 - 6 points
    11. Fire_Power: 168,000 - 5 points
    12. Azathoth: 163,100 - 4 points
    13. AdamC: 139,750 - 3 points
    14. Kane: 137,550 - 2 points
    15. shabu: 100,600 - 1 point
    Big Giant Head: 83,400
    ED_209: 78,450

new game and leaderboard update soonest!

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Geez man, you realy should have seen that one coming... It's not like it hasn't happened before
    Yeah I knew it was coming, I thought a couple of people might have squashed me and not by just 5000 pts

Well done Spartan.

I played myself out in the first 8 days of Gyruss, and then got side tracked with Swimmer a bit. Even if Spartan had have posted this score days ago, I doubt I would have beaten it. My score was pretty much as perfect game as I've ever played, and a lot more practice will be needed to score 640K+ on a regular basis.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1433 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post
    Yeah I knew it was coming, I thought a couple of people might have squashed me and not by just 5000 pts

Well done Spartan.

I played myself out in the first 8 days of Gyruss, and then got side tracked with Swimmer a bit. Even if Spartan had have posted this score days ago, I doubt I would have beaten it. My score was pretty much as perfect game as I've ever played, and a lot more practice will be needed to score 640K+ on a regular basis.
    It's a great score and a good victory - but I'd like to see scores posted more often, rather than sitting on scores and posting them last minute just for the sake of the win. The fun in the MGL is of the chase, the upping the ante, the chase goes on, etc. but each to their owm, there's no rules on when to submit scores.

In almost 13 seasons of MGL's I doubt there has been a player as all-around good as Spartan, ordinarily, players have their strong and weak games, this is the norm for Arcade games. Not so with Spartan, who seems to have no weaknesses, and is very good at every genre. This is unusual. He's been top 3 in all games except for games where there are crazily high scores in the millions like Bombjack.

So well done Spartan, you are setting a new standard for the MGL I believe, in your all-around ability.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information