Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Which CHD files can I delete to reduce overall size?

I've got a full mame 0.142u2 set and am trying to get the size of the install down to fit on an 80GB HDD. Is there an easy way to remove all the biggest CHD files of games that don't work properly or need fancy controllers? I've already removed the DDR (Dancing) games which cleared about 8GB straight up but need to remove some more.

• Administrators

To be honest most of them. They all run like shit and most don't work or don't work very well. I know the Killer Instinct games will work okay if you have a nice machine but the rest are wasted space.

Brad

I also kept street fighter 3 and if I had a trackball maybe simpsons bowling. i never got the gauntlet or the rush (or rave) games working but was never sure what was mame and what just needed a better setup.

does simpsons bowling work? i heard it was buggy and suffered lag badly? if it does work ok I might put it on my cab as I have a trackball! :)

Hopefully Brad might be able to answer that pretty sure he has a trackball as well. Maws lists it as imperfect, from memory I thought it played ok but I only gave it a quick try before deleting it. without a trackball it's about as much fun as playing wii bowling with a premade stand for the controller.

I figured most of them work like crap. Especially since I'll be setting it up on a P4 3Ghz machine. Should I delete the roms associated with the CHDs as well so they don't list in the front end? Is there an app that has the option to delete all ChD based files and associated roms?

I used Romlister to delete/move roms off to another HDD that I didnt want to use so I still have them if i need them later, I dont think you can select by CHD but it's not that large of a list. If you want to save space also look at deleting any mah jong games you're not interested in playing (thats the sort of thing romlister can do) the old games won't matter but the newer ones can be large files for roms. Ditto with games you're set up wont support like light guns etc.

It's worth having a scan through the rom sizes, some of the newer games are large and not overly great on a lot cabinets, like the dancing games (not sure if they were chds or not).

It will depend on what front end you are using, you can delete the roms to save space or I think most will let you delete the game from lists without removing the rom.